Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsteve3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
IL
Guys,

Can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I have been unable to burn 700 MB cd's using finder burning on my builtin combo drive on my Powerbook 12". If I use other CD burning programs (i.e. toast, etc) I can burn 700MB discs easily, but the finder's built-in burning software only recognizes discs as 650MB, which is really annoying.

Is there a way use all 700MB from the finder? Or is Apple just a little behind the times...

-S

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
got this from macosxhints.com
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040921173351970&query=finder+700mb+cd
If you use the Finder to burn CDs, it (rather arbitrarily) sets the size of the image used to stage the CD to 670MB. If you have 700MB CDs (which are very common), you will waste 30MB by using Finder. If you'd rather use all the available space, follow these steps. You can also use this to burn many copies of something, while only having to prep the files once -- a big time saver.
Make a new folder and put all your stuff in it you want to burn.

Open the Terminal and go to the folder containing the folder you just populated.

Type: hdiutil makehybrid -o somename your_folder

Look in your current folder, and you should see a file called somefile.iso.

Check the size of this file and make sure it will really fit on the CD.

Type hdiutil burn somefile.iso, or use Disk Utility to burn it. If you want to make more copies of this CD, repeat this step for as many CDs as you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.