Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XanderAshford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Okay, as the title says, I have an iPod Touch (16GB 2nd Generation), and have recently had the ever troubling headphone jack from hell problem that I see now plagues not only myself, but many others; however, my issue is slightly different than any other I've been able to research on this forum and other sites.

For starters, I am 98% sure it is the actual jack that went as I did try putting other headphones in, and had the same problem. What seems to be happening is the music...Like the actual music, not the spoken words...plays through fine, but the lyrics (and by that I mean, what the people are actually singing) are very faint and almost impossible to hear. About a week ago, the voices would come and go depending on how I turned the headphones in the jack. Sometimes twisting them around would bring the music back into full focus, and sometimes not.

Things I have tried:
1) Turning the iTouch on and off. Success Rate: 0%
2) Cleaning the jack with the Q-Tip/Alcohol trick. Success Rate: 0%
3) Poking the three metal balls in the actual jack. Success Rate: 0%

Now, I really think my problem lies somewhere in these metal balls that connect with the headphones because why else would I hear most of the song (actual music and such), and NOT the actual words? To me, it seems like one of the balls is not connecting with the jack, but I have poked and prodded them for about 30 minutes and have had no luck.

So my question to you iTouch geniuses: Is there any other thing I should try in regards to the hardware as I really don't think this is a software issue? I am well beyond my warranty, and am not going through the Apple store cattle run of getting offered a refurbished iTouch or sending it off; it just really isn't worth that kind of hassle to me.

If my hardware has actually failed, would it be just as good to upgrade my iTouch with the new features such as BluTooth, shake/song change feature, et cetera, and get a pair of BluTooth headphones? This way, I'm just avoiding the jack entirely.

One other thing I should note in regards to the jack: When I plug in my speaker that connects through the headphone jack, it plays both music and lyrics...Is this more than likely because its just going through one set of wires rather than two? It confused me slightly why SOME other sound output accessories work, but two sets of Apple brand headphones do not.

Thanks for any help. :)

AlexanderAshford

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I have noticed the same missing channel effect on the odd occasions when I have not quite pushed the jack in far enough when plugging in my headphones, the difference seems to be less than a millimeter but is enough to suppress the vocals.

I suggest you try cleaning the socket, it is surprising the amount of grime that can accumulate on the contacts. I use a cotton wool bud stripped enough so that the diameter is able to fit into the socket and rotate and slightly dampen with a mild mix of methylated spirits\alcohol and water and repeat until no more grime appears on the tip.

Failing that it may be a hardware problem and not easily fixed.

Rather than looking at a Bluetooth solution which can at times under perform with cutouts, interference and poor audio quality along with limited battery life a dock port remote may be a alternate choice.

I have used the FiiO E1 with good results, at under $20 it provides volume and track control as well as audio amplification for improved signal quality and draws its power from your device with minimal consumption rather than requiring frequent recharges.

Fiio%20E1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.