Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

105044-in2pay_iphone.jpg

A premature press release posting earlier this month has now been made official, with Visa announcing that its partnership with DeviceFidelity will see the launch of a specially-designed iPhone case that will integrate a microSD slot to facilitate contactless payment transactions.
DeviceFidelity, Inc. today announced the availability of its In2Pay solution for iPhone, designed to enable iPhone users to make contactless transactions, such as Visa mobile payments, by simply waving the iPhone in front of a contactless payment terminal. The solution combines DeviceFidelity's In2Pay microSD technology with a specially designed, patent-pending protective case that adds mobile contactless capability and works with iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.
Building on Visa's payWave system that currently allows credit and debit users to simply wave their cards in front of compatible terminals to pay for purchases, the In2Pay system aims to allow users to reduce the need to carry credit cards or other payments forms in addition to their phones.

The system also offers the potential for expansion beyond payments to other proximity-based services, including building and computer network security access.
By placing a removable In2Pay microSD into the protective case, iPhone users can take advantage of In2Pay's secure contactless capabilities where contactless transactions are offered. They range from buying goods in retail stores and at unattended kiosks, to transit ticketing, and even securely accessing buildings and computers networks. Trials are scheduled to start during the second quarter of 2010.
DeviceFidelity's In2Pay system has been targeting the growing number of cellphones offering built-in microSD slots, but the iPhone's lack of such a slot required the company to develop an add-on to house the card and allowed to integrate it within a protective case.

Apple has been researching methods of providing such functionality directly within the iPhone, but in the meantime, companies are filling the void with their own proximty-based solutions.

Article Link: Visa and DeviceFidelity Rolling Out iPhone Case for Contactless Payments

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
meh. I'd use it if it was built into the phone, but I'm not using a chunky case for it.

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
So if I have this, and I lose my iPhone in, say, a German beergarden, and someone picks it up and gives it to Gizmodo, will Gizmodo be able to make purchases using my iPhone??

Xenu007

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Drug dealers and prostitutes

The iPhone will now become the cell phone of choice for drug dealers and prostitutes.

MatLu

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
So Visa is just basically bringing a FeliCa like system over to the US. Except with a bulky case that doesn't seem to protect the phone like you'd want a normal case to do (doesn't cover the bezel). These things don't take off here. Anybody remember those keychain credit cards that you hold up to a machine reader instead of just swiping a normal credit card? Yeah, me neither. (-Edit- The payWave system they mention in the article.)

Hopefully Apple will just integrate this functionality eventually. That's the only way it'll work in the states. Integrate it like Japanese cellphone makers do. If it were integrated into my phone (and was widely accepted) I'd use it. But otherwise I'd never buy a case like that just to use it.

darthvapor

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
If a mobile device is lost... contact their issuer... with what?

Lost my iPhone, didn't bring my wallet, looking for a payphone, trying to call card issuers collect, as well as 411 to get their numbers in the first place.

Meanwhile, someone else just bought the whole bar a round of drinks :)

Atkins

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Tokyo
So if I have this, and I lose my iPhone in, say, a German beergarden, and someone picks it up and gives it to Gizmodo, will Gizmodo be able to make purchases using my iPhone??
No, I don't think so. But don't expect to get it back in one piece.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I have no idea of what this means, so all I can say is "hurray!"...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Never been a fan of swipe and pay systems here for that reason... more likely to loose my key chain or my phone than my wallet...

That being said, I could replace my wallet for an iPhone maybe. Get stopped by the Police and whip out my iPhone to show them my license.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
SquareUp's solution seems more elegant and more versatile. I'm not crazy about their little headphone dongle, but it's a better solution than a bulky case with an SD card. And as others have stated, Apple has been looking for the best way to integrate this directly into the iPhone. I'm glad I've gotten into the habit of locking my iPhone; it seems that practice is going to become a necessity.

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
wait a sec … if you loose your phone you should call your issuer??? did you guys ever read that out loud? Yes it is true BUT just wait until standup comedians pick up on it. What are you going to call your bank with if your phone gets lost/stolen? Oh and never mind that considering how much sensitive information we keep on our phones today I think getting your phone stolen is about equivalent to getting your identity stolen. Time for cloud computing/storage for mobile devices, don't ya think?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
SquareUp's solution seems more elegant and more versatile. I'm not crazy about their little headphone dongle, but it's a better solution than a bulky case with an SD card. And as others have stated, Apple has been looking for the best way to integrate this directly into the iPhone. I'm glad I've gotten into the habit of locking my iPhone; it seems that practice is going to become a necessity.

I think that SquareUp is about being able to take a CC rather than using one...

MatLu

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Also, for non-iPhones that have MicroSD slots: Generally a phone that has a MicroSD slot requires that MicroSD card to take full advantage of the phone. And having that slot being taken up by their little device could be a real problem. For example, the Nexus One only has 512 MB of storage built-in (and comes with a MicroSD card for 4 gigs of extra storage). That phone was designed specifically to use a MicroSD card. They limit the built-in memory, give people a 4 GB card and allow people to put in a higher capacity card if they wish.

There is no way someone is going to limit their smartphone to only 512 MB just so they can use this. People who'd be more likely to early adopt something like this are the types of people who will have their phone filled with gigs and gigs of tons of content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.