Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budaapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Ill.
I have the 12" powerbook with mini DVI. I want to connect my new Apple 20" Aluminum LCD Monitor to the mini DVI port. What is needed? Will the adapter that comes with the laptop plug direct or do I need and adapter to give the monitor power. Please help its on its way.
Thanks

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Aren't the new monitors DVI, and did you buy one of those?
20-inch (viewable)
1680 x 1050 optimal resolution
16.7 million colors
DVI Display Connector
2 port USB 2.0 Hub
2 FireWire 400 ports

VESA mount compatible
Which means all you need is the...
Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter

The Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter was specifically designed for use with the latest PowerBook G4 with 12" TFT display with the new Mini-DVI port (models introduced in September 2003). Connect the adapter to the Mini-DVI port of the PowerBook G4 12" and the DVI end of the adapter to an external DVI monitor or to the optional Apple DVI to ADC Adapter (available separately) to connect to an Apple Studio Display 17", Apple Cinema Display 20" or Apple Cinema HD 23".
...and a outlet in which to plug in the Power Brick to supply the monitor's power. ;)

dross

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2004
Bethesda, MD
All you should need is a DVI cable which now days you can get almost anyware. If you had an older display or an older video card (not a notebook) you might need an ADC to DVI conector which you can get from the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.