Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
My pagerank on my .co.uk website is 0! Why is this? I have but a couple of links out to sites relevant to my sector. I know I need some links coming in but surely I'd at least have a point or two :(.
Am I receiving negative points because of my spammy coding where i put 'formwork' into every word :eek:.
I need to perform well on google, any advice appreciated :confused:.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Here are a few things you can do, but thats only the start.

XML sitemap
Google Adwords
Cleaning up your code
Cleaning up your body text
Using the <title> effectively
Meta content

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Since you mentioned 'coding', I assume that you are not using iWeb, are you?

Which software did you use to create the site with?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
My pagerank on my .co.uk website is 0! Why is this? I have but a couple of links out to sites relevant to my sector. I know I need some links coming in but surely I'd at least have a point or two :(.
Am I receiving negative points because of my spammy coding where i put 'formwork' into every word :eek:.
I need to perform well on google, any advice appreciated :confused:.

Get more links.

You need good quality inbound links that do not specify rel="nofollow" in the link tag. Links in forums often automatically add this so that they do not get negative SEO effects from linking to potentially spammy content that their users link too.

Plus implement all the other advice that has already been given in this thread. But without the links you'll never go above page rank 0.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Dude, every month you have the same questions about your web site. Something about site rank / google / what needs improvement.

However, it's still looks the same every month, so nothing is going to change. Not last month, not this month, not next month. Hire a professional who knows design, photography, and SEO. Or read up about it.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Thanks for all your input people :).
I hand-coded my site from Dreamweaver.
It takes me a bit of time to work on the site as I am currently running my own business, working 12 hours a day and in my little spare time studying for a Degree in Quantity Surveying via distance learning; so I don't have as much time as others;but the changes will happen it's just I have priorities. The advice being received is not wasted, just doing my research from people who know their stuff and kind enough to give me some advice ;).
I have created an xml sitemap, I have had countless phonecalls on SEO companies trying to obtain business by just adding meta keyword tags which I can do myself; only when I researched keywords were not followed so well nowadays I read and page title was far more important and document structure.
I'll have a search around for dofollow links, I know I have one in linkedin website but that's only one. I'll try to find where else I can throw some in.
Thanks for all your advice!

cyberdesignz

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
You can get back links by blog posting, blog commenting and forum posting. There are many other ways to get links but these are the most authentic and useful ways. Do not forget to bookmark any post you have done. Bookmarking helps to crawl your posts.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
You can get back links by blog posting, blog commenting and forum posting. There are many other ways to get links but these are the most authentic and useful ways. Do not forget to bookmark any post you have done. Bookmarking helps to crawl your posts.

Thanks buddy :D

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Dude, every month you have the same questions about your web site. Something about site rank / google / what needs improvement.

However, it's still looks the same every month, so nothing is going to change. Not last month, not this month, not next month. Hire a professional who knows design, photography, and SEO. Or read up about it.

Good catch!

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Blackhat SEO doesn't work unless you really know what you are doing.

Google can see if you are trying to spam keywords (and you are). Thus, the site is probably penalized (sent to spammer's jail in term of search results).

Hosting images offsite from multiple sites is unlikely to help your rankings.

Blog posting: depends on the site and relevance
Blog commenting: no, most sites have nofollow
Forum posting: no, most sites have no follow
Browser bookmarking: no

Good catch!

I remember that he keep saying that "i am busy, can't make changes" (last year was "i am new") and "why is my site still has low ranking."

And he is still posting that .com address that goes nowhere.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Oh just as a fyi, if notice anyone commenting on my blog just to get a link to their own page, I delete the comment. Don't spam blogs just to get links. I'm sure other people with blogs get annoyed by this too.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
design guy thanks for that, didn't know you could check your inbound links.

Consultant; young lady :mad:. Well the site has only been up for six months and you're attitude stinks :rolleyes:. Read some of your posts and you're a very negative person :p. My guess is you're not doing very well in life :p and hate everybody else that is making a go of it :D. .com has not been designed yet and it's point is for backlinks- not that I need to explain to you why I have to justify my signature for you young lady :).

Back to constructive talk :p: Design guy bit stumped as to why I had no links checking on google. As I have a blog with a link and a few from advertisement one for which is sure a dofollow link at linked-in. :confused:

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
design guy thanks for that, didn't know you could check your inbound links.

Consultant; young lady :mad:. Well the site has only been up for six months and you're attitude stinks :rolleyes:. Read some of your posts and you're a very negative person :p. My guess is you're not doing very well in life :p and hate everybody else that is making a go of it :D. .com has not been designed yet and it's point is for backlinks- not that I need to explain to you why I have to justify my signature for you young lady :).

Back to constructive talk :p: Design guy bit stumped as to why I had no links checking on google. As I have a blog with a link and a few from advertisement one for which is sure a dofollow link at linked-in. :confused:

Don't go shooting yourself in the foot, take the advice on board despite some of the less desirable comments.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There are plenty of great things out there. I am only negative on awful things.

I help plenty of people. BTW.

As I said over and over again, forum links are USELESS in terms of search engine results.

In term of my web site, within seconds of posting new articles my articles are on google.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan

Not sure what you mean about the "dofollow"?

Google takes their sweet time reporting backlinks, so if you know you have some (that are not using "nofollow"), don't sweat it and keep getting more new ones and just check back occasionally.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Thanks for all your input on this people :), much appreciated.
The thing I mean with dofollow links is I watched a video of web designer on youtube and he was saying 'dofollow' links as apposed to 'nofollow' and some sites/ forums display nofollow links, whereas a link from a 'dofollow' would be more effective than 50 nofollow links.
Jen thanks for that usefull bit of info, was not aware of my own links competing against eachother; I'm researching htaccess now :D.
Thanks

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Thanks for all your input on this people :), much appreciated.
The thing I mean with dofollow links is I watched a video of web designer on youtube and he was saying 'dofollow' links as apposed to 'nofollow' and some sites/ forums display nofollow links, whereas a link from a 'dofollow' would be more effective than 50 nofollow links.
Jen thanks for that usefull bit of info, was not aware of my own links competing against eachother; I'm researching htaccess now :D.
Thanks

I have never heard it called a "dofollow" -- maybe I am out of the loop?

If the "nofollow" is left out, then it is already (i.e., by default) a "dofollow."

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Oh and set up somewhere in .htaccess to rewrite sitename.com to http://www.sitename.com or you will have two competing links in your own site.

Thanks Jen :), I have spent an hour or two this evening researching this and it seems pretty complex and I could really do some damage with htaccess. I've checked and with my server I will loose any help from them once I start messing around with htaccess.
What is going on with my site that is so bad, I thought the sitemap was the point of the structure.:confused:
Sorry for amateur questions :eek:
Oh and I have a few links out there, even my own blog which is very poor but still it's a link, don't know why I have 0 incoming links checking it with google link thingy. http://preciseformwork.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/hello-world/

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Thanks Jen :), I have spent an hour or two this evening researching this and it seems pretty complex and I could really do some damage with htaccess. I've checked and with my server I will loose any help from them once I start messing around with htaccess.
What is going on with my site that is so bad, I thought the sitemap was the point of the structure.:confused:
Sorry for amateur questions :eek:
Oh and I have a few links out there, even my own blog which is very poor but still it's a link, don't know why I have 0 incoming links checking it with google link thingy. http://preciseformwork.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/hello-world/

For the .htaccess stuff heres an example, its not to dangerous and if your hosting will drop support though the editing of .htaccess then dump them.
Code:
Options +FollowSymLinks
Options -Indexes
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.preciseformwork\.co.uk [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.preciseformwork\.co.uk/$1 [L,R=301]

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Thanks for taking the time to do that Jen :D.
I thought I understood what you was saying 'that my links were competing against eachother' rather than a search engine taking all my pages, content and comparing that to the search in google it takes an individual page and only compares that to what's being searched; thus reducing my efficiency. Am I on the right path here or am I on a completely different playing field :confused::eek:.
I have noticed that there is not much out there on competing links in your own site, all my searches so far have only referred to competition websites (not competition of yourself :p). Which either means you are well ahead of your game Jen ;), or I am so stupid I have done something so basically dim :eek:. I'm not even sure what language htaccess is. I'm guessing apache?
I'll be starting to build up my .com site in a couple of weeks :p, that'll be fun :eek:. Before I do that I have noticed something of vast importance which I will bring to discussion here very soon.:)
Thanks people :)

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for taking the time to do that Jen :D.
I thought I understood what you was saying 'that my links were competing against eachother' rather than a search engine taking all my pages, content and comparing that to the search in google it takes an individual page and only compares that to what's being searched; thus reducing my efficiency. Am I on the right path here or am I on a completely different playing field :confused::eek:.
I have noticed that there is not much out there on competing links in your own site, all my searches so far have only referred to competition websites (not competition of yourself :p). Which either means you are well ahead of your game Jen ;), or I am so stupid I have done something so basically dim :eek:. I'm not even sure what language htaccess is. I'm guessing apache?
I'll be starting to build up my .com site in a couple of weeks :p, that'll be fun :eek:. Before I do that I have noticed something of vast importance which I will bring to discussion here very soon.:)
Thanks people :)

Is your .com going to have the same content, if it is you can ether redirect to the .co.uk or forward the domain to the .co.uk version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.