Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CawdFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Hello gents' This is my first time on the forum but I've been told by friends that they have found a great deal of help on here!

I have a G5 tower - dual 1.8GHz configuration. A few days back, it went from turning on, to turning on with a blinking LED. As luck would have it, my monitor also died (it was on it's way out) so I can't diagnose the problem. Here are some clues.

- With air-flow cover in place, fan's start up slow, then gradually increase to high speed.
- With air flow cover not in place, they start up at a medium speed. The fan in front of the PCI bays seems to be spinning up and slowing down over and over.
- When the cover is off, a red LED inside on the motherboard (about the same level where the power button is) lights up. When the cover is on, it goes dark.
- No start up chimes regardless.

If this is a lost cause, would it be possible to turn this beautiful case into a custom rig? I'm eyeing the back of the case, and it seems like it would be a difficult task, but I would like to see the old girl live on!

Cheers!

Rich

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
Looks like its pretty dead. Try it with a working monitor though to make sure. If it still doesn't work, its dead. Using the case for another machine seems like a good idea, good luck with that!:D

CawdFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Looks like its pretty dead. Try it with a working monitor though to make sure. If it still doesn't work, its dead. Using the case for another machine seems like a good idea, good luck with that!:D

Yes, it does. However, having a case not designed for an intel board is going to be a huge problem. I could get away with leaving the optical and hard drive bays intact (I think) but mounting a motherboard that fits is going to be very difficult (not to mention, arranging the I/O ports that are fixed on the back of the macs case, etc)

In an ideal world, I could find a motherboard that allowed me to leave the internal structure intact, and one that could be mounted to the current points - I have yet to see that, however.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Oh man- I don't have any suggestions. That's too bad. You just reminded me that I need to clean out my dual core G5. I would cry if it died. I plan on keeping it at least another 1-2 years. I feel your pain.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
Yes, it does. However, having a case not designed for an intel board is going to be a huge problem. I could get away with leaving the optical and hard drive bays intact (I think) but mounting a motherboard that fits is going to be very difficult (not to mention, arranging the I/O ports that are fixed on the back of the macs case, etc)

In an ideal world, I could find a motherboard that allowed me to leave the internal structure intact, and one that could be mounted to the current points - I have yet to see that, however.

What sort of computer are you going to put in it?

js1138

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I picked up a dead Mac G5 tower for almost nothing at a garage sale. I've never owned or used a Mac before, but I've built and repaired PCs for 20 years.

I spent some time on google and found sites showing detailed picture instructions of how to replace the power supply, and so forth. It looks hard, and requires a rather unusual 2.5 mm hex wrench (longer than easily obtainable). But it isn't actually very difficult. Like all such projects, the second time would be much easier. I probably invested eight hours researching it and doing it.

I got an unused Power supply for $140, plus shipping on eBay. Came with a 90 day warranty, backed by eBay. Before buying, I removed the old PSU and got the model number. I made sure I was buying an exact replacement.

I now have a twin 2 ghz G5 with 8 gig memory. After I got it working I added a 750 gig hard drive. My total investment so far is under $250.

So if anyone doubts it is worth it, I'd say yes. Minor problems: the built in ethernet port is dead, but I knew that before buying. I have a USB ethernet adapter and may buy an Airport extreme. Lots of used ones on eBay.

I'd say the chances of converting this case to a PC motherboard are pretty slim. It's worth much more as a Mac.

Now if someone could just convince Apple to sell motherboard upgrades.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Search on Google G5 Hackintosh and all your questions will be answered.
You are doing nothing new that hasn't been done a bunch of times already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.