PDA

View Full Version : Need help using projectors with my PB

JasonL
Oct 6, 2004, 09:57 AM
Hi everybody,

Today I had to give a PPT presentation in class, using my computer. Usually I've used the laptops provided by the school's AV department to give presentations.

Anyway, today when I hooked up the projector to my PB the projector was used as an additional display instead of mirroring what was on my PB's display. What I had to do (was pressed for time, so not much troubleshooting could be done) was just move the file over to the projector area in full slide view and had to manually click on on the next slide button everytime I wanted to view the next slide. It worked out okay, but was very stress-inducting.

So, how do I get a projector to work properly with my PB?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

osprey76
Oct 6, 2004, 10:02 AM
You should have been able to choose mirroring from the Displays Pref Pane. If the mirroring doesn't seem to work or looks weird, try reducing the resolution you're running the PB on. (That's needed with PC notebooks I've seen, it could be PBs handle this better. I know on my Mac tower I can choose different resolutions for each monitor when spanning, but I've never mirrored anything on the tower before.)

PlaceofDis
Oct 6, 2004, 10:03 AM
because you have a powerbook, there are two different ways to have an external monitor hooked up, one by mirroring, two by additional screen, i dont have my book in front of me but its one of the function keys that toggles between the two

edit: you can use the F7 key to toggle between the two different modes

James L
Oct 6, 2004, 10:13 AM
Yup, as above....

1) Plug in your projector and make sure it is on.

2) Go to the displays preference of the system prefs.

3) Click the detect displays button.

4) When it has detected an external display plugged in, it will ask you what configuration you want. Check the mirror box.

5) This copy what is on your powerbook display straight to the external. NOTE that it will re size the resolution of your PB to whatever the resolution of the external display is.

6) When you are done, unplug the external display and click detect displays again. It should sense the only display is the internal one and return the screen res back to 1280.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

James

JasonL
Oct 6, 2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks.

I did do the Detect Display thing in System Preferences. There was no option for mirroring. Maybe I did something in the wrong order, though.

I'm pretty sure I tried hitting F7 as well, but will have to try this again.

I'm going to try to play with a projector later today and will let you all know how I make out.

Thanks again,

Jay

tomf87
Oct 6, 2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks.

I did do the Detect Display thing in System Preferences. There was no option for mirroring. Maybe I did something in the wrong order, though.

I'm pretty sure I tried hitting F7 as well, but will have to try this again.

I'm going to try to play with a projector later today and will let you all know how I make out.

Thanks again,

Jay

There's an Arrangement tab/button between Display and Color. Click it and you'll see a checkbox in the lower corner for mirroring.

James L
Oct 6, 2004, 11:45 AM
There's an Arrangement tab/button between Display and Color. Click it and you'll see a checkbox in the lower corner for mirroring.

Doh! I forgot to mention that part!

JasonL
Oct 7, 2004, 07:20 AM
Yep, that's it.

Thanks a lot everyone.