Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amoscochran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Hi there,

I have a last gen. white macbook. I was watching a youtube video today and firefox shut down. When it restarted it shutdown again. I decided to restart my computer. When it was restarting, a message popped up saying I needed to restart by holding down the power button. After pushing the power button the screen went black. I then pushed the power button again and my computer made this horrible beeping noise until I pressed the power button again. In doing this process more than once the mac start up "chord Bing" happened over and over until I pressed the power button. I got the comp turned off and let it sit for an hour or so. It started up fine. I downloaded google chrome and when trying to change some settings the "restart your comp by holding down the power button" message came up. When restarting the crazy beep came back.

Now everything seems fine but while typing the comp made the noise like it wants to eject a cd.

Help?!

amos

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Sounds like a kernel panic to me. If you're having constant problems with it, you've either screwed up OS X pretty bad or you have some bad hardware. Considering the weird beeps you got, my bet is a hardware issue. Try testing your RAM with these directions: http://www.command-tab.com/2008/01/11/how-to-test-ram-under-mac-os-x/. Hopefully it's just a bad RAM module and nothing more serious.

Of course, if you've recently installed some flaky software / drivers, you might want to just uninstall that first.

amoscochran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Restart computer while reinstalling osx

Hi,

I decided to reinstall my osx. While the osx was installing I had the "you must restart your computer by holding down the power button" message pop up. I am guessing that reinstalling the osx will not help this problem? Thoughts.

thanks

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
If it came up while booted off the Mac OS X install DVD, it's most likely hardware. I'd start with RAM and go from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.