PDA

View Full Version : 2 iPod questions

jtsimler3
Oct 6, 2004, 06:54 PM
Firstly, my iPod is no longer connecting to my G5 when I plug it in. I used to use the fiewire cable, so I tried the USB to see if that would work, but I got nothing. It starts to charge and everything, but it doesn't show up on my desktop or in iTunes.

Secondly, after a weekend of inactivity, when I turn on my iPod it completely boots up (with the Apple logo). Was it completely off for the weekend? I was wondering why when I take it to school, I have it on my for, let's say, 6 hours. It's on about 45 min total, and off the rest, but my power has gone down halfway. Is it because I'm in some sort of standby mode, draining power?

If anyone could help me on either problem, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

crazzyeddie
Oct 6, 2004, 07:27 PM
The second thing isn't a problem, its by design. If the iPod is left in "sleep" mode (which does drain battery power) for long enough, the iPod will "shut down" completely to save the battery. So therefore, when you go to use it, it has to "start up" first.

Edot
Oct 6, 2004, 08:04 PM
The firewire ports can only provide so much power to devices. If you have another device plugged in via firewire, disconnect it and plug in you iPod so it is the only device connected via firewire. If that doesn't solve your problem you could try restoring the software on the iPod using the iPod updater program.

jtsimler3
Oct 7, 2004, 06:51 PM
Then are there different methods to put it to sleep and completely turn it off? The manual says that holding down the play button turns it off (which I suppose now means just "standby".)

Can I turn it off immediately?

And also, every time it has to boot up, my settings reset (ex. I like the clicker to make no noise whatsoever, but it turns back on again.)

Thanks.