Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I have a Sony DCR-VX2000 and I've been figuring out exactly what everything does on the camera. On the back of the camera there's a button that says AE and above the button it says Program. When I press the button and scroll through the options are AE A, AE S, a picture of someone golfing, a picture of a sunset and moon, and a picture of a candle. Because of the last 3 options I'm assuming it has something to do with the lighting of where you're shooting, but I don't really know what I'm changing. What exactly am I changing when I switch between these? What is the difference between AE A and AE S? I would appreciate as much info as you can provide. Thanks.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
AE = Auto Exposure.

AE S = Auto Exposure with Aperture Priority: you set the the camera's aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed to get the proper exposure. This is important when you want to have more control over depth-of-field - although full manual exposure will always give you better control.

AE S = Auto Exposure with Shutter Priority. Essentially the opposite of AE A. You set the shutter speed and the camera will choose the correct aperture setting. This mode can help when you want to shoot fast moving action.

You should be able to find out what the other icons mean by reading the camera's user manual. If you don't have one, you should be able to download a PDF version ... or purchase a used copy on ebay.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.