PDA

View Full Version : Performa 6115CD + College?

Earendil
Oct 6, 2004, 11:31 PM
Ok, so I've met this girl at college that doesn't know a WHOLE lot about computers. But, She sticks up for Macs, even though she is using a Performa 6115CD and OS 8.0

When she brought her computer here to college, the Campus IT guys told her it was impossible to get her computer on the internet. Normally I wouldn't give this much of a second thought, except for these same IT guys told me I was incapable of installing Nortan Anti Virus on my own computer because it was a Mac. Cha.

So anyway, she thought her computer was too old to use the internet here because it is "so old the modem is on the outside of the computer". Of course the internet here is by Ethernet, so I went over to try and find an ethernet jack on her computer. There isn't one :(

Questions: Can an ethernet card be installed on this computer?
Question2: Can OS 8 negotiate a Campus network using Proxies?

I used OS8 for many years, in fact longer that I should have. But I was a bit young in those days, and only ever used it behind a modem.

Thanks guys!
~Tyler

ps
I have a gf, I'm not after this girl. This of course means the first person to help me out gets her # ;-)

pss
If anyone actually asks me for her #, I'm gonna laugh.

Sun Baked
Oct 6, 2004, 11:39 PM
There is an AAUI ethernet connector on back of computer.

http://www.micromac.com/products/nw_aaui-combo.html

vga4life
Oct 6, 2004, 11:55 PM
There are much cheaper AAUI transceivers available:

http://www.smalldog.com/product/37076/atfgc

edit: In case you're not aware of AAUI, it's a funky little connector with an icon that looks like <-> - it's essentially an ethernet connector that needs an external box to adapt it to the specific physical type of ethernet being used. (This dates from a time when not all ethernet installation used twisted-pair wiring and RJ45 connectors.) So the answer to Question 1 is that the Perfoma 6115CD actually does have an ethernet connector - it just doesn't look like one you're used to seeing.

Although it sucks under OS X, the best browser available for older versions of the Mac OS is Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1.7:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/DOWNLOAD/IE/ie5_classic.xml&secid=30&ssid=11&flgnosysreq=True

As to question 2, I believe MSIE 5.x can be configured to use a proxy, so yes.

The thought of using a Performa 6115CD to browse the web these days curls my teeth, but it is indeed possible. I sure hope this girl has at least 32 MB RAM, preferably more.

-vga4life

PS - I'm engaged, don't need this girl's phone number. Just paying my computer karma forward a bit more.

tdhurst
Oct 7, 2004, 01:12 AM
Hell, I'll talk her through the set up for her #....hahaha

Macs R Us
Oct 7, 2004, 01:22 AM
Well I have owned a 6115CD as my fisrt Mac and have found the AAUI port is great, I now have 70 AAUI adapter since I get so many with it... I have AAUI to Ethernet, TokenRing, BNC, AUI, etc... Many people need them and that means haveing that many helps they sell well on my site as I'm sure they would on any... You can now get them at many places... There are handy to have one on hand...

Earendil
Oct 7, 2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys!
Ok, so those that know about College security don't forsee a problem using an older OS? Things like the proxies are one thing. IE will be able to handle it's own Proxies the way OSX's prefs handle everything? Ok, so no other internet apps will work of course (unless they can handle their own proxies).

What about anti Virus software? I have this feeling I'm going to strike out here. I know the IT guys won't let a computer on the network unless it has Nortan Anti Virus installed. Any ideas? I could always make the case that Mac OS 8 won't be infecting any other computers ;)
But these may not be the guys to buy it :(

How about small things like The college network being able to register the IP?

Thanks again guys,
Tyler

Macs R Us
Oct 7, 2004, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the help guys!
Ok, so those that know about College security don't forsee a problem using an older OS? Things like the proxies are one thing. IE will be able to handle it's own Proxies the way OSX's prefs handle everything? Ok, so no other internet apps will work of course (unless they can handle their own proxies).

What about anti Virus software? I have this feeling I'm going to strike out here. I know the IT guys won't let a computer on the network unless it has Nortan Anti Virus installed. Any ideas? I could always make the case that Mac OS 8 won't be infecting any other computers ;)
But these may not be the guys to buy it :(

How about small things like The college network being able to register the IP?

Thanks again guys,
Tyler

Well at a=my local collage I had an LC 580 on there network... Only after 8 hours, but a PPC would be easyer to setup and it should work fine... You need a CD with IE...

Earendil
Oct 7, 2004, 03:42 PM
Well at a=my local collage I had an LC 580 on there network... Only after 8 hours, but a PPC would be easyer to setup and it should work fine... You need a CD with IE...

I could burn her a CD, or network my Mac to hers (after getting the little doo-hicky) and transfer IE that way. Does anyone remember if the old version of MSN for 8.0 supported Proxies? I'm not going to buy the stuff for her, and so want to offer a pretty much sure fire bet that it is going to work...

Of course something inside of me says "it's ok if you can't afford food for a week, it'll be fun and a joy it to get a fellow mac user on the net using an ancient piece of hardware".

Any other comments or foreseeable problems getting this computer on the network?

Thanks guys :)
Tyler

cluthz
Oct 7, 2004, 04:52 PM
You can set proxies in most browsers. IE, netscape, mozilla
MSN for mac os 8.0 is almost impossible!!!
Get the update for macos 8.1 from apple!
(i think you maybe can go thought 8.5 and os 8.6 too)
Msn 2.5 for mac requires 9.2.1, older versions are abadoned by MS.
Your best shot will be to use MacMessenger(msn compatible) (i've used it once on a Powerbook 2300, with OS 8.6...)

About viruses, i don't think Mac OS 8 would be a problem.
There are few viruses form Mac Os 8, the viruses for mAC os 8 won't affect the windows and macosx users.
Yeah you can get Norton Antivirus for mac os 8 (think version 7 will work..)