Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikelleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Hello all. I'm sure this has been brought up in the past, however I couldn't find anything that came up in the search regarding this.

Seems most people are trying to broadcast iTunes over the internet but this is a bit different.

Machine: 2010 MacBook Pro

I sometimes get into online chat sessions (Skype etc.) and want to play some music for people through iTunes. I'd rather not turn up the volume so loud that it plays over the built in mic. On the PC, I would simply select "What U Here" and it would stream whatever is playing in iTunes instead of the mic.

Is there a way to switch the Line In to broadcast what is playing in iTunes through an online Chat program?

Thanks for any suggestions!

ikelleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Still looking for an answer to this.

Is there a driver of some kind I can use to take place of the mic to transmit music I'm playing?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I don't think you can do this - Itunes does not utilize line in at all since it does not have any recording features. Besides, this is not allowed with music that you buy - Do you have a license to broadcast the music that you want to play?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You could do this if you had the "right" audio interface. Some of them like the Presonus "firebox" have digital mixers built in. So basically it's done in hardware outside of the Mac.

I think you might be able to do something like this if your VOIP phone app could take input from something like Jack or rewire. So basically you'd mix the audio then get your app the mixed stream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.