Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Banga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I'm using bootcamp, and find that I can access all files in my home folder under OSX when using Win7. What do I have to do to secure my mac user account?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Banga.:confused:

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I'm using bootcamp, and find that I can access all files in my home folder under OSX when using Win7. What do I have to do to secure my mac user account?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Banga.:confused:

This is common. Just as if you're an administrator on a computer you can give yourself permission to other users' folders.

You can set a startup password for the machine:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

(You basically need to insert your Leopard/Snow Leopard DVD, and run a program from there)

Banga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Thanks Matthew,

Just to check I'm understanding the link, there's no way to secure OSX, such that you need to have an account under OSX to access the data? Rather you have to password protect the computer?

I guess I'm concerned that if my laptop is stolen, and someone takes out the HDD, and sticks it in another computer, then they have full access to my data?

If this is the case, I guess I'll have to resort to third party encryption tools (truecrypt) to keep my data secure.

Thanks.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Thanks Matthew,

Just to check I'm understanding the link, there's no way to secure OSX, such that you need to have an account under OSX to access the data? Rather you have to password protect the computer?

I guess I'm concerned that if my laptop is stolen, and someone takes out the HDD, and sticks it in another computer, then they have full access to my data?

If this is the case, I guess I'll have to resort to third party encryption tools (truecrypt) to keep my data secure.

Thanks.

No, I just didn't know you were considering encryption. Apple has FileVault already ready for you to enable if you'd like. Although, I'd read up on it on Apple's site before you do that.

Olfson

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
mountian skies
Firmware Password offers no security

Firmware password protection prevents from booting from the installation DVD or an external drive with OS X (start-up/alt)

It seems though, that by replacing a RAM module, this security is easy to
circumvent and booting from another drive is like a breeze ......cool...eh

Cheers :apple:

Banga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
If you're using Boot Camp you should be a lot more worried about keeping that partition malware-free than about accessing the OS X partition.

Thanks for your concern, but I haven't had any malware or viruses in years. With good ant-virus and attention to what I do and don't install, this just isn't an issue for me. In my line of work though, securing my data is a huge concern, as it carries legal ramifications if it goes walkies. Being Baba's man-wife isn't appealing to me, no matter how I look at it, hence I'm anal about securing data.

Banga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Thanks for the responses. I'll look into disabling the auto login, as well as the FileVault stuff. At lest I have somewhere to look now.
I appreciate al of your efforts taken to respond.

Banga

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.