PDA

View Full Version : To sell or to upgrade .....




Gavbo
May 21, 2010, 03:53 AM
Just looking for some advises please.

I have a Rev B 1.6 120HD Macbook air for over 17 months now, which I still love and enjoy using very much and here is my story.

I've recently started shooting and processing RAW files with Aperture 3 and Nikon NX2 and find it a little slow on my air. Mind you I haven’t reformatted my hard drive once :S during my ownership.

I am debating whether I should upgrade the hard drive to a runcore ssd or to sell the air and get a secondhand 17” macbook pro (last Gen)

What do you guys think?



Scottsdale
May 21, 2010, 01:15 PM
I think you would benefit greatly by the Runcore SSD. If you're looking for more drive space on an SSD, if you wait three or four months there will be a 256 GB SSD available for the v 2,1 MBAs.

You also would benefit from the CPU and GPU available on the MBP 17" model. In addition, the display's capabilities far exceed what you can do on the 13" MBA display. However, this Mac is far less portable.

I have considered moving from the MBA to a 17" MBP and iPad. Since Apple refuses to upgrade the MBA, I need the RAM and performance capabilities available in the 17" MBP. I also need extreme portability on the go available in the iPad. While I really prefer a one computer MBA system, I need more RAM than 2 GB in the MBA. If Apple doesn't upgrade the MBA, I have to consider my options to get a system that works. If I am just going to have a Mac notebook that stays at home and carry an iPad for the go, the 17" MBP seems like a better system for the home, if I don't have to carry 6 lb. on the go. However, the iPad surely is weaker than what I am used to in the MBA while on the go.

I don't know what to tell you. I would wait and see of the MBA gets updated at WWDC first. What you could really use is a Core i7 2 GHz MBA with ATI dedicated GPU and 256 GB SSD. Or even a Core 2 Duo MBA with Nvidia 320m GPU and 256 GB SSD. I think you should wait to ensure the MBA doesn't become a better alternative than upgrading your old MBA or moving to the 17" MBP. You could also consider the MBA possibly getting a better display with 1440 x 900 resolution which could be better for your use.

Beyond WWDC I would not advise waiting at all. In two weeks you should make your decision and go with one or the other based on your needs and wants. If the MBA can do everything you need with a Runcore SSD then go for it. If you would benefit from a 17" MBP that is less portable but seriously capable, then go for it. But give yourself two weeks to think about both of those possibilities plus the new MBA possibility. There have been plenty of MBA update rumors so I still think something has to happen.

Good luck.

cleric
May 21, 2010, 02:50 PM
If you are just having I/O problems the runcore should address that. Though I would also explore the option of maybe trying to get a cpu bump out of the deal and see if you can't wrangle a 1.86 or 2.13 rev b/c with SSD for somewhere in the ballpark of (Sale Price of 1.6 RevB + Runcore Price) just a thought.