Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094157-why_mac.jpg

Last month, actor Justin Long revealed that Apple's long-running "Get a Mac" ad campaign, in which he appeared as the "Mac" character, appeared to have been discontinued. The last set of "Get a Mac" commercials had been released in October 2009.

It now appears that Apple has finally pulled the "Get a Mac" campaign from its site, redirecting the page to an expanded "Why You'll Love a Mac" page highlighting five key marketing points for Macs in comparison to PCs: Better Hardware, Better Software, Better OS, Better Support, and It's Compatible.

Apple's extensive gallery of "Get a Mac" ads has also been removed from the site, with the URL similarly redirecting to the "Why You'll Love a Mac" page.

Apple's Mac television ad plans for the future remain unknown, as the revamped features currently offer no hint of a specific TV-focused campaign. While Apple has not aired any new Mac commercials since October, the success of the award-winning "Get a Mac" campaign suggests that Apple may be interested in continuing a television presence in some manner. In the meantime, the company continues to regularly release new iPhone commercials, and has begun ramping up iPad advertising.

Article Link: Apple Officially Ends 'Get a Mac' Campaign, Revamps 'Why You'll Love a Mac' Feature

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
:(

I'm happy to see them moving along but those ads were classics and should have been archived somewhere on their website.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
This is good! This campaign will actually provide more information on Macs themselves rather than the fact that they are better than PC. This shows provides a WHY. This should be popular. Although I do love the Get a Mac campaign this should be a hit.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
:(

I'm happy to see them moving along but those ads were classics and should have been archived somewhere on their website.

So if we're strange collectors of Apple commercials, we're out of luck? Too bad.

Still, this is the internet, and very few things here disappear completely.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
This is good! This campaign will actually provide more information on Macs themselves rather than the fact that they are better than PC. This shows provides a WHY. This should be popular. Although I do love the Get a Mac campaign this should be a hit.

Yeah, that's what always bothered me about those commercials. They constantly poked at PC & Windows, but never advertised what the Mac itself can do.

Its finally good to see them come to an end, I'm looking forward to some proper Apple ads.

Snowcat001

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I liked them ALLOT but it would be nice to see them do a positive mac campaign (meaning not breaking down competitors) but just make clear why people should choose a mac and not not choose a pc.

Go Apple!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
That's all well in good, but I liked some of the ads and I would have loved to save them. I remember looking at them a few weeks back and thinking I should save some of them... oh well. :(

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The Get a Mac campaign was ridiculously effective. Apple's never been better positioned as a company.
But I'm glad to see them moving on.
It will be interesting to see how they position their laptop/desktop offerings.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
So Apple hasn't forgotten that they sell computers! With the news that iPad sales may beat those of all Mac computers combined, I thought talk of "traditional" computers had become quaint.

Maybe with the new campaign, they're just trying to get rid of their old stock so they have more room for iPads, iPods, and iPhones in the stores? ;)

But seriously, I love the i-devices (my wife and I both have iPhones, we have an iPod), and I know they have been hugely successful. I just wish Apple would choose to spend a little more time on OS X and their computers, too. Maybe this is an indication that they're still interested in that market.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
WHY YOU'LL LOVE YOUR MAC!!

....because it'll be obsolete now

or

we'll stop developing for it before your applecare expires....

iLoveiMacs

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
YES! It's nice to see something new come out of :apple:'s advertising. I can't wait to check out the new ads and hopefully there will be some TV commercials soon. I must admit that whenever I'm on DVR zipping through commercials, I will literally stop skipping and watch the commercial-even if I've seen it before. :p :apple:

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
The Get a Mac campaign was ridiculously effective. Apple's never been better positioned as a company.
But I'm glad to see them moving on.
It will be interesting to see how they position their laptop/desktop offerings.

That is a little hard to measure though .. Vista was the weakest Windows release (at least perception wise) since WinME, Apple made the transition to Intel Architecture and OS X did come a long way. All these factor probably have contributed more to the success of Apple. But I guess you are right, that branding created by those ads did their part as well.

Anyways .. glad they are gone now .. I thought they were getting old pretty long time ago and never have been a big fan of bashing-your-opponent type of advertisements.

T.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
It now appears that Apple has finally pulled the "Get a Mac" campaign from its site, redirecting the page to an expanded "Why You'll Love a Mac" page highlighting five key marketing points for Macs in comparison to PCs: Better Hardware, Better Software, Better OS, Better Support, and It's Compatible.

Better hardware? Design, yes of course, but hardware no way!

appleseed76

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
I loved those commercials, but they were getting kind of old. Plus, it kind of made Mac users look smug. The iPhone commercials are perfect, because they showcase a few features and make you want to use it, and the new iPad commercials are bringing Apple's attitude back in a good way. I'd like to see them revamp that one commercial about marching to the beat of a different drum. You know that Think Different commercial from way back.

lipnorth

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Connecticut
A key mac advantage that's missing

How come Apple doesn't tout that web pages (html type) render so much better on a Mac.

Has anyone seen the type rendering in Windows? It's awful!

As a web developer designing on a Mac, when I test in Windows I always cringe on how bad the type looks after I am used to seeing it on a Mac.

Often my clients have the same reaction when they compare them side by side.

It has actually made a few people I know switch.

Molecule

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
I loved those ads...I'll be sad to see them go. Still, it's probably time to move on. Bring back Think Different!

Those upset that they won't be able to watch them anymore needn't worry - the internet never deletes anything. Youtube is probably a good place to start :)

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.