PDA

View Full Version : Best iPad Apps released in the last 3 weeks?

samcraig
May 21, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hey all-

Just got married and was on my honeymoon in Italy and Croatia the past 3 weeks (and with my iPad which came in very handy). Now back and wondering what new apps have been released while I was gone that I should check out. As we all know - the app store isn't the best/easiest to navigate for these types of questions.

Thanks!

zukernik
May 21, 2010, 12:09 PM
A lot of people here use www.appshopper.com since it is updated more often than the official App store.

smotheredhope
May 21, 2010, 12:40 PM
A lot of people here use www.appshopper.com since it is updated more often than the official App store.

yeah and a cool, quick way to keep up to date with that is by using NewsReader :)

As far as new apps. the 2 that come to the forefront of my mind are Press Reader for all your newspapers and whistle for free unlimited Voip calls from your iPad. Even conferences :)

gwynne
May 21, 2010, 12:42 PM
Lots of people were excited about the iPad release of BeeJive (IM), plus I think if you've been gone a full three weeks you probably missed the Spirit iPad jailbreak news.

I'm sure there are others but I tend to be super picky about apps so that's all that immediately comes to mind.

Trying to keep up via appshopper is not that viable when you have to pick through, for example, 50 bible study apps in other languages.

smotheredhope
May 21, 2010, 12:47 PM
Lots of people were excited about the iPad release of BeeJive (IM), plus I think if you've been gone a full three weeks you probably missed the Spirit iPad jailbreak news.

I'm sure there are others but I tend to be super picky about apps so that's all that immediately comes to mind.

Trying to keep up via appshopper is not that viable when you have to pick through, for example, 50 bible study apps in other languages.

BeeJive. Good one! I love that app. Oh and like i said its easier to scroll through them quickly with the RSS's via NewsStand. Just takes a couple minutes every morning to run through all new/free/paid/updates/pricedrops :)

flipangle
May 21, 2010, 12:58 PM

I'm picky too. Just curious...from one picky person to another, what are your favorites?

gwynne
May 21, 2010, 01:43 PM
I should mention that while I do in fact have appshopper's feed set up in Newsrack, scrolling through the hundred or so entries a day gives me eyestrain. :) Personal problem, but I'm finding it not nearly as easy to keep as it was when the ipad was first launched, so I'm relying more on 'crowd-sourcing.'

That said, the apps I do use are pretty typical of the 'most valuable' lists you see, so no big surprises here:

--Air Video
--I've been testing both Atomic and iCab browsers (undecided still)
--Appigo ToDo
--Newsrack and Early Edition (1st for tech news, 2nd for 'tabloid' news)
--iTeleport
--Beejive does seem very nice, esp. now that I figured out the SMS integration
--Epicurious (great free cooking iPad app, really nicely done)
--Comic Zeal

I also actually like the Amazon shopping app, don't see that mentioned often.

These are the most used that come to my mind without actually looking at the iPad.

smotheredhope
May 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
I should mention that while I do in fact have appshopper's feed set up in Newsrack, scrolling through the hundred or so entries a day gives me eyestrain. :) Personal problem, but I'm finding it not nearly as easy to keep as it was when the ipad was first launched, so I'm relying more on 'crowd-sourcing.'

That said, the apps I do use are pretty typical of the 'most valuable' lists you see, so no big surprises here:

--Air Video
--Appigo ToDo
--iTeleport
--Comic Zeal

These are the most used that come to my mind without actually looking at the iPad.
what about PressReader? I have been using that now for a week and for 10.00 you get 31 papers. In other words a whole month of papers including Sunday editions. To see if you like it you can download the first 7 papers for free.
You know another cool thing about this app? All headlines are highlighted and with the click of the arrow it opens a text box so you can read the article in text instead but get this there is also a headphones app and the accessability speech built in to the iPad will read you the article!

Its funny because I was so disappointed that I could not find a way to read the paper on the iPad. This app made my day :)

bigrobb
May 21, 2010, 07:31 PM

--Air Video
--Appigo ToDo
--iTeleport
--Comic Zeal

How did you get sms on beejive. I havent figured it out.

magiclaffs
May 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
I love the Ibooks and have been using Calibre to port material over to the Ipad. It takes a bit of knocking around the program to get it right. Unfortunately, I've not been able to get it to recognize the Ipad as a device, but that's okay. Just drag and drop your converted epubs to Itunes.

gwynne
May 21, 2010, 09:28 PM
How did you get sms on beejive. I havent figured it out.

When you've got a chat open with someone, tap the Edit icon (upper right corner next to settings) and select New Sms out. The person can respond to that SMS and it'll come back to you in beejive. Once you get all the contact info merged for a person, it'll automatically send it to them in IM first if they're online, SMS if not.

DaBrain
May 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
Check out Corkulous!;)

ScottNWDW
May 21, 2010, 11:25 PM
The best iPad app released in the past 3 weeks was by far.....

Appigo's ToDo App.