PDA

View Full Version : How many replacements is acceptable?

nbs2
May 21, 2010, 09:26 AM
Or, what should I be asking for at this point?

I bought my 3GS on release day last year. After a couple months, the battery failed. I took it in and they agreed. Went home with a replacement.

My new phone would not connect to ATT's 3G network. I took it in to the Apple Store and they verified the problem with the antenna and replaced it.

My new iPhone bricked when it was trying to update the firmware (I believe it was from 3.1 to 3.1.1). Nothing could save it. I took it in to the Apple Store and they verified the problem and replaced it.

As of late, I have been having trouble with holding a signal, even when not moving and in a state of continuous data consumption. As an example, if I am watching something on YT or I am streaming via Pandora, I can see my connection go from 5 bar 3G to 3 bar to 3 bar Edge to no connection to 2 bar Edge back to 5 bar 3G. ATT claims that there are no tower issues by my house.

I have an Apple Store appointment on Monday, and I'm just wondering what my options are at this point. When I had my last replacement (granted, those all took place in less than a month), my request for a "new phone, new SIM, just start this relationship from scratch" could only be considered if I had further issues. At this point, I'd like something to make up for the frustration that I've been going through and the time that I've spent on the phone and at the Apple Store without a properly functioning product. If it wasn't for the gizmodo fiasco, I would have been half tempted to ask for a free 4G upgrade upon release.

John T
May 21, 2010, 09:51 AM
As of late, I have been having trouble with holding a signal, even when not moving and in a state of continuous data consumption. As an example, if I am watching something on YT or I am streaming via Pandora, I can see my connection go from 5 bar 3G to 3 bar to 3 bar Edge to no connection to 2 bar Edge back to 5 bar 3G. ATT claims that there are no tower issues by my house.

This is not unusual.

nbs2
May 21, 2010, 09:58 AM
This is not unusual.

I guess it is but it isn't. It is unusual for me - my phone didn't start doing this until recently, suggesting either a network or phone issue. If ATT is willing to claim that there is no problem with their towers, that only leaves the phone.

marcovortex
May 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
Sounds like Apple is already doing the right things. Taking care of their customers and standing behind their products. Also exchanging the phone on the spot for you is a big plus. Most companies don't offer this level of service.
Things break. They fix/replace it for you with great service. Asking for more is silly.

mrbrown
May 21, 2010, 10:21 AM
I bought the original iPhone the day it came out, as did my wife. Between the two of us, we had to exchange our phones a total of 7 times - various problems: bricked after upgrades, bubble under the screen, dead wi-fi.

Ive replaced my 3GS once - it was a white model with the bad plastic. And it had a bubble under the screen.

But, Apple has been very good about each replacement. In fact, with one of the original phones, they accidentally extended my warranty to an AppleCare warranty... Not quite sure how that happened!