PDA

View Full Version : New PowerBook or fraudulent ad...you tell me!

settledown
Oct 7, 2004, 10:54 AM
This is a photo of a CDW/MacWarehouse catalog. According to the caption, that is a PowerBook sitting on the APC notebook stand.

It doesn't look like any PB I ever saw. So what is it?
New PB,
or PC fraud

Click on the pic to see it larger...and legible

jackieonasses
Oct 7, 2004, 10:58 AM
This is a photo of a CDW/MacWarehouse catalog. According to the caption, that is a PowerBook sitting on the APC notebook stand.

It doesn't look like any PB I ever saw. So what is it?
New PB,
or PC fraud hmmmm that looks nothing like any mac from anywhere i have seen. At first i thought it was just a PC notebook. but (as you said) the caption to the left of the picture says its a powerbook...typo? hint?

from that angle it doesnt look attractive.

settledown
Oct 7, 2004, 11:00 AM
My only thought is a slimmer cleaner iBook, otherwise

I'd say it is a PC

jxyama
Oct 7, 2004, 11:04 AM
looks like a PC to me. i've seen their catalog show a Ti PB when it was described as an Al PB, so mistakes like this doesn't surprise me...

baby duck monge
Oct 7, 2004, 11:07 AM
that is pretty weird looking. especially the screen which doesn't look tall enough to cover the whole palmrest area....

quagmire
Oct 7, 2004, 11:31 AM
I am not exactly sure but, I think I see an one click button on it. But, I am not sure. It does look like a new pbook because as of late no PC company has made a 1" thick enclosure without cutting somethibng out. We just need to see if it has a optical drive to see if it is a pbook(G5?). I think it is a PC laptop though.

DtFan
Oct 7, 2004, 11:35 AM
Things that tell me it is not a powerbook.
1. The way it opens (hinges)
2. It has a built in VGA out on it. (why go from DVI to VGA?)

lalcan
Oct 7, 2004, 11:44 AM
Well, this is from the APC site:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ENS-USB
(click in the More Images link)

It surely looks like a Toshiba POS...

My two cents...

jeremy.king
Oct 7, 2004, 11:46 AM
or PC fraud

They're not selling the powerbook, they are selling the stand. So not sure why you would think its fraud.

settledown
Oct 7, 2004, 11:55 AM
Well, this is from the APC site:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ENS-USB
(click in the More Images link)

It surely looks like a Toshiba POS...

My two cents...

BINGO, that is it!!

I used the word fraud, because this catalog is Apple specific. Only Apple products and products for Macs. APC should have taken a pic of a REAL PowerBook to use in an Apple catalog. It isn't a crime, although Apple may not like APC calling that POS a PowerBook.

Mostly it was a fun thing to pass away a Thursday.

jxyama
Oct 7, 2004, 11:59 AM
I am not exactly sure but, I think I see an one click button on it. But, I am not sure. It does look like a new pbook because as of late no PC company has made a 1" thick enclosure without cutting somethibng out. We just need to see if it has a optical drive to see if it is a pbook(G5?). I think it is a PC laptop though.

and the first place to get a pic of a PB G5 would be a reseller... yeah, right. :rolleyes: :p

i think the laptop is dell lattitude x200...

TLRedhawke
Oct 7, 2004, 12:09 PM
Looks like an Averatec piece of crap.

grapes911
Oct 7, 2004, 12:17 PM
i think the laptop is dell lattitude x200...

I think you are right.

Here is a pic of it. (http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Latitude_X200_PIII_M_800_MHz_12_1_TFT/4505-3121_7-9721983-2.html?tag=top)

earthtoandy
Oct 7, 2004, 12:29 PM
a blue colored vga out? PC!

plus i hate it... theres another hint to it being a PC

johnnyjibbs
Oct 7, 2004, 01:31 PM
What both puzzles and amuses me is that in many adverts (e.g. AOL broadband or the like), you get someone using a laptop which is an iBook or PowerBook (usually Ti). However, when you see the screen, there is a shot of Windows XP - even though you can still see the Mac laptop its being displayed on. Obviously they've just shoved a different picture and superimposed it on but it seems like a lot of trouble. I suppose the answer is that Macs are cool-looking (good product placement) while Windows is more familiar to the masses.

Sometimes though you get it the other way around: PC laptop with Mac OS 9 shots of IE!!!!!

Mr. Anderson
Oct 7, 2004, 01:44 PM
I think the best was the M$ ad with the powerbook in it... classic mess up.

The blue vga plug was a give away though....

D

Mechcozmo
Oct 7, 2004, 02:13 PM
It is a PC. When I looked at it, my eyes spontaneously combusted. :eek:

Ugly piece of crap. If that was a PowerBook G5 I would cry...

settledown
Oct 7, 2004, 02:49 PM
anyone see the commercial for the airforce, where a cop pulls up on a young man on the sidewalk, and the cop says, "Son, the computer(clearly a PC) is froze again, I need you to do that thing to it again"

The son tell him to reboot in windows safe mode, and you hear the classic Apple startup chime.

Just another example of advertising not always being "what you see is what you get"

Sharewaredemon
Oct 7, 2004, 03:06 PM
anyone see the commercial for the airforce, where a cop pulls up on a young man on the sidewalk, and the cop says, "Son, the computer(clearly a PC) is froze again, I need you to do that thing to it again"

The son tell him to reboot in windows safe mode, and you hear the classic Apple startup chime.

Just another example of advertising not always being "what you see is what you get"

That's an easter egg the editor did for all us mac junkies out there!