Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I need help!
My macbook air speakers will not work
I was watching a videos and went away from my laptop for a bit
When i came back the volume bar was gone and my speakers weren't working
Under preferences it wont recognize any output speakers whatsoever.
What do I do?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
This has happened when I've been using Flash as well. Either plug in and then remove a wire in the audio jack, or just restart.

hannahbreland

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
!

I have done every single thing in the book to try to fix this problem, but oddly enough, nothing works! I've tried jiggling the headphones, toothpick, bobby pin, cotton swab tip, restarting my computer, system preferences, etc.. Nothing at all seems to work. I have yet to go to the Apple store but I don't want to pay to have this fixed. Anyone else have other suggestions? Please help!

nexp

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I have the same issue, and for what i could understand on my search on some foruns, its a problem with the audio cable that wears out after some time.

As I have applecare, I'll take mine to an apple repair center, but some people seem to managed to fix it by themselves.

nexp

juro

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Yes, it is the audio cable, which is located on the right side of the keyboard hand rests - where a lot of pressure is applied when typing, carrying, etc...

Brought mine to the shop and they reinstalled a new cable for me.

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
this is a common issue for the first gen Air. happened to me a few months ago, and i took it to the apple repair centre to fix when i was in China. they replaced the audio flex cable, and was charged $60.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.