Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's been a busy week for Google with the announcement of a number of new initiatives. We've covered them here on MacRumors because it's clear that Google has its sights set squarely on Apple. If there was any doubt about the growing animosity between the two companies, there is none now. Google spent a lot of its on-stage time during the conference making direct swipes at Apple, even going so far as comparing the company to Big Brother from 1984. Google's new product announcements pits it directly against Apple in many key areas:

Apple TV - Google TV
iTunes - Wireless Android Music Syncing
iAds - Google Ads / Admob
h.264 - WebM/VP8
iPhone OS - Android OS

Apple CEO Steve Jobs seemed to know this was coming and made his own jabs against Google at Apple's town hall meeting in January.
On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but there’s no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This don’t be evil mantra: "It's ********." Audience roars.
Google's mantra now seems to be "openness" in a refrain that might have been lifted from Microsoft's Steve Ballmer.
"I agree that no single company can create all the hardware and software. Openness is central because it's the foundation of choice." - Steve Ballmer
Microsoft has always been about creating the platform and distributing it to as many customers as possible through their hardware partners. Microsoft, of course, made money through the sale of each software license. Google is eyeing the same basic plan but their plan revolves around monetizing ads on the platform. Beyond internet search, Google hopes to infiltrate mobile phones and television as well.

Apple's role, however, remains the same as always -- as a staunch proponent of vertical integration and a tightly controlled user experience. How tightly they control that experience, however, has been a point of contention amongst users and developers. Apple lost the previous round when it was against Microsoft, but Apple has also never had such a strong lead before.

Article Link: Google Sets Its Sights on Apple

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
When I first saw this article, it all clicked for me: Google is Apple's #1 competitor. iPhone OS4 better have more tricks up their sleeve, and Apple TV is DONE unless they move it from "hobby" status to "let's get our ass in gear" status. As a self avowed Apple fan-boy, I lust for Google TV!

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
I think this is humorously retarded of Google.

However, this will be the best thing that happened to consumers, Android, and iPhone OS.

Without stiff competition, there isn't a need to out do.

The ball is in Apple's court.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I agree with jobs, Google's 'Don't be Evil' crap, it's bull*****!!
I liked it when Google & Apple were close, imagine the great results we could have seen... Now, it's just Google copying.
I have more respect for Microsoft now, than I ever have.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Google rants and attacks tells me that apple is doing well ( but we know this).

The direct attacks, however, say that google folks have a chip on their shoulder. Reminds me of high school nonsense. Remember the guy that got pissed at you because you had a beatifull girlfriend, and then you had to fight him time and again?

Google seems to be angry at Apple because Apple is better, and now Apple is about to show Google how advertising is done. They're rabid mad.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Google does not know how to turn a good idea into a polished end-user product. Most of their services are in beta forever. I interviewed with Google, and even my interviewers mentioned the fact that everything seems to stay in beta forever. The only thing that Google does well is search, and search is the only real generator of ad revenue for them. They are now trying to branch out with their ad placements to other areas, but the bottom line is that the end goal is always ad revenue and not the product itself. However, only the smartest people work for Google, and as long as Google makes a lot of money and can afford to employ the smartest people, Google will be a real threat to the market share for any competitor, including Apple.

What Apple should do is accept the challenge from Google and compete with Google head-to-head, including search. Search is the only thing that is missing from the Apple's product portfolio, and I believe they don't have to look in far places. Yahoo is right down the road from them.

To me, Google has turned into an evil entity - the one that turns on its old friend and stabs him in the back. I want to take sides and vote with my computing patterns, including search. I do not want to go exclusively to Google any time I need to find something, but frankly, Google is the only real authority in search. I wish Apple would buy Yahoo and turn it into a real search competitor to Google.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I'm a huge Apple nut (natch) and have been a loyal iPhone user for 3 years but what Google is showing with Android is clicking with me. A lot of it just kind of makes sense. Stuff I've been thinking about for a long time now. I just finished watching their Android demo keynote from I/O and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Their Android Intent API stuff is what I've been dreaming of for a while and really severs the physical connection between computer and mobile. Send directions to your phone with one click of your computer's browser. Send an app the same way. Heck, make your entire iTunes library available for streaming! Kind of eliminates the need for a 64GB device.

And all that just kind of scratches the surface.

I really want Apple to think about how people use their devices in different ways. Google kind of ways.

I still plan on getting an iPhone 4G/HD/whatever when it's launched, but now I can't really brag about having the coolest device on the block when it comes to capabilities and software.

Here's that Android keynote: http://bit.ly/bLEF8t

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Google tv ain't nothing but a shuffling around of another company's intellectual property. Child please!

Android is nothing but a free OS adopted my competing cell phone makers. It is Google's strategy to controlling the mobile ad business.
Meh! Google pays Apple 100 million a year to carry its search engine. That is probably more money than the sales of any Android phone on the market. LOL!
The music thing. Ha ha! The record labels control the music. Apples sells music, Amazon does No big deal. And music isn't a commodity like coal and nickel so don't expect that if 10 thousand online music suppliers enter the market a single song will go for .002 cents. LOL! The labels would go bankrupt.

As for the ad business stuff, hey, there is a lot of money to go around out there.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
EDIT: Damn, I wrote another book. :rolleyes: If you're interested, read on. Otherwise, TLDNR is perfectly acceptable. :)

This is a really difficult time for those of us who are hardcore Apple fans, or hardcore Google fans.

I mean, I love Google — but I love Apple *more*. And I like that Google is creating products and ideas that might help push Apple to do bigger and better things. But ultimately, I want Apple to win the fight, because I have greater respect for them based on the products they've created.

I think Apple's products are better than anything else out there on the market. But Google has some cool stuff, you know? (Or in the very least, cool ideas.) I wish that Google could come up these cool ideas, and then have Apple design them — the product, the UI, etc. Maybe that's what competition is all about, but when these two media giants are fighting each other, it's hard to know who to root for.

I mean, really now — can't we all just get along?

I'm saying that I believe Apple has the best design for their products -- whether it be the physical look and feel, or the user interface -- everything is very intuitive. I like how Apple has a consistency across their products that enables you to pick it up and already know how to use it. It's one of the huge benefits in having one company design both the hardware and the software elements for a product.

So when Google comes along and starts to follow in Apple's footsteps (cell phones, operating systems, and now TVs), I find that I like the philosophy that Google uses. I like their idea that everything should be open and connected. The problem is that I don't like how their products look and feel. For example, with Android, their taking the Microsoft approach: create an OS and then license it to handset manufacturers. Sound familiar? It's what Microsoft does with Windows, which is part of why PCs have so many issues to begin with. You have hardware designs that software doesn't take advantage of, you have inconsistencies across the board, not to mention potential incompatibilities and issues that arise. It's just a mess.

You simply cannot deny that when one company makes both the hardware and software, their product is going to be designed to its full potential. And that's why each time I use an Android-powered phone, I find this lack of consistency that aggravates me. It just doesn't "feel" right, there's something missing. It's not as clean, not as organized. It just doesn't seem like it was designed for "regular people." You won't find that with Apple's products -- whether it be a Mac, iPhone, or iPad -- they're built based on how you would expect to interact with them.

Now obviously, nobody's perfect. Apple has a very different philosophy to their products. They use a closed system to help preserve the user experience. Whether or not that will win the war is yet to be seen. But I know that I'm willing to live with that type of setup because there simply isn't anything else out there that can compete with the simplicity and intuitiveness that Apple brings to the table.

If Google and Apple became friends again, I'd like to see them exchanging ideas and implementing their strengths together. Unfortunately though, it's become apparent that the two of them are just going to split farther and farther apart. Being a guy who appreciates both companies, it makes things difficult; I like what Google has thought up, but I've grown accustomed to Apple's brilliant methods of enabling us to interact with technology.

So until Google can astonish me with a look-and-feel that matches Apple's quality, I'm sticking with Apple's products. I'll take a well-designed computer, phone, tablet, anything -- over an "open" platform that just *almost* gets it right.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Google does not know how to turn a good idea into a polished end-user product. Most of their services are in beta forever.
I had the same impression using many Google service like Adword and Adsense, they could do much much much more better. Support is especially ridicolous.

Anyway Google is free to go where they want, competition si good. s for now i consider Android a good products but nowhere near iPhoneOS. GoogleTV could be nice but i prefear to have a MacMini on my TV.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Lets look at this....

Apple TV - Google TV
Apple did this first. (Google setting sights on Apple)

I don't know how wirlelessly syncing with someone iTunes library is detrimental to Apple in any way. Apple may end up selling MORE music if Android users are able to easily sync with iTunes. (No target either side.)

Aem... Google did ads first.... (Apple set sights on Google)

h.264 - WebM/VP8
H.264 is not entirely an Apple product and Google also support and use h.264. (No target either side.) Google's opennes means "Everyone is inclusive" remember! ;)

iPhone OS - Android OS
Google bought Android INC in 2005.. Did no one see Android coming? :confused: (Google publicly bought Android INC first)

Sensationalistic article is sensational.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
The world market for smartphones, computers etc is a huge one. There is plenty of room for more than one player. If there hadn't been competition, we probably wouldn't have got as far as cut and paste yet with the iPhone.
Bottom line for me as a relatively recent convert, I love my iPhones, MBP and I'm sure shortly my iPad. They are are excellent dependable devices. Competition won't hurt Apple but will improve it

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I am scared for Apple. They are burning so many bridges and making so many enemies. Imaging what Google and Apple could have done together. I think Apple is becoming 'The Man' in 1984, but Google is no different. Everyone thinks Google is their friend, but their motives just seem off. Google is trying to buy everyone up, compete in every market, and they just have too much information about all of us, it's scary.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Competition makes the big players work harder and keeps downward pressure on prices. But... these battles between titans force us consumers to take sides -- which phone, which music service, etc. -- and if we don't pick the winner we end up on the wrong side of the tracks as a platform wins more and more marketshare. The winner gains clout with third parties who write apps, vendors who build accessories, the media companies who provide content, and so on. It's a lot easier to be on that side. Apple's a good bet but you'll need a crystal ball to know for sure.

Anybody remember HD-DVD? That's a good example where early adopters had to bet on which horse would win.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
I liked Google a whole lot better when they were "just" a search engine. Their tactics lately seem to be extremely shady. The whole "openness" mantra is being used as a cover the same way some zealots use religion for their own selfish purposes.

I'm not saying Apple is completely innocent either, as I feel that they are diversifying too much...but at least with Apple you know what the deal is ahead of time, and should not be surprised by any of the restrictions imposed by a closed system.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Google does not know how to turn a good idea into a polished end-user product. Most of their services are in beta forever. I interviewed with Google, and even my interviewers mentioned the fact that everything seems to stay in beta forever. The only thing that Google does well is search, and search is the only real generator of ad revenue for them. They are now trying to branch out with their ad placements to other areas, but the bottom line is that the end goal is always ad revenue and not the product itself. However, only the smartest people work for Google, and as long as Google makes a lot of money and can afford to employ the smartest people, Google will be a real threat to the market share for any competitor, including Apple.

What Apple should do is accept the challenge from Google and compete with Google head-to-head, including search. Search is the only thing that is missing from the Apple's product portfolio, and I believe they don't have to look in far places. Yahoo is right down the road from them.

To me, Google has turned into an evil entity - the one that turns on its old friend and stabs him in the back. I want to take sides and vote with my computing patterns, including search. I do not want to go exclusively to Google any time I need to find something, but frankly, Google is the only real authority in search. I wish Apple would buy Yahoo and turn it into a real search competitor to Google.
In a way, Google resembles the previous occupant of its headquarters: Silicon Graphics. SGI had brilliant engineering talent, but senior management didn't adapt their business strategy for contemporary demands.

We're already seeing Google stumble badly with social networking initiatives. Google's AdWords cash cow might eventually droop and they have no other revenue stream. Advertising generates something like 98% of Google's revenue.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Google is EXACTLY what Mac and Apple product users should LOVE!

I want Google to battle Apple fiercely on all fronts.

Competition will force Apple to actually consider its users. A Google Chrome OS and Android could force Apple to continually update its products to be not slight improvements over the former models but rather products that actually compete with Google's at every step. Frequent updates with better components that provide substantial updates.

I hope Google truly battles Apple on every product Apple sells. I don't care whether it's MP3 players, routers, displays, smartphone OS, mobile computers, professional computers, tablets, and etc. I want Google to truly go for it and make Apple give a damn about its customers by forcing Apple to provide better products in comparison with Google. Chrome OS could really be the start of something big and benefit all of us Mac users more than OS X could benefit us.

I look forward to this new Google gunning for Apple at every step of the way.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Google Services Breakdown

Google TV = Comercial TV
Wireless Android Music Syncing = half assed music with tons of ads!
Google Ads / Admob = I wish I we thought of iAds!
WebM/VP8 = Buggy spaghetti code of an unfinished video standard pulled out of the depths of their aquisition closet.
Android OS = Clunky wanna be iPhone.... looks like beta.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Glad Google is doing this... Apple will have to lower the prices since Google is likely to offer most of its products for free, and even some of them open source while Apple is closed source and at prices for Apple customers ;)

Sorry Steve... you cannot fight Google :) Try to come up with decent prices and you might not fail, otehrwise... good luck...

colinc

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
Sensational Indeed

Lets look at this....

Apple TV - Google TV
Apple did this first. (Google setting sights on Apple)

I don't know how wirlelessly syncing with someone iTunes library is detrimental to Apple in any way. Apple may end up selling MORE music if Android users are able to easily sync with iTunes. (No target either side.)

Aem... Google did ads first.... (Apple set sights on Google)

h.264 - WebM/VP8
H.264 is not entirely an Apple product and Google also support and use h.264. (No target either side.) Google's opennes means "Everyone is inclusive" remember! ;)

iPhone OS - Android OS
Google bought Android INC in 2005.. Did no one see Android coming? :confused: (Google publicly bought Android INC first)

Sensationalistic article is sensational.

Thank you! You made all the points I was going to make so I didn't have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.