Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
This is something I've thought about a lot lately. As we all know, a lot of Winblows users constantly say Apple is going down. (A friend at school insists that MS bought out every video game company in the world, ergo Apple is going down :rolleyes: ). Anyway--I'm wondering what everyone else thinks--Do you guys think Apple is going to survive, or go down like all the Winblows users say?

The other thing--what about Macintosh? It seems like all they're focusing on is iPod + iTunes. When was the last time you saw an ad for any of Apple's computers? Do you think Apple will survive, but stop making computers--moving just to media devices like the iPod?

I don't mean to create a depressing thread, but I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

One other thing (a little off topic)--How many of you have a Mac and a PC, and how many are all Mac? I gave up on Windows when my old PC's HD crashed, but I'm starting to get very tempted to build myself one of my CorePC systems (mostly for gaming--I hate waiting 6 months for the games to port over to Mac). What are your thoughts on this? Think having a PC around is a good idea?

Sorry for such a long post!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple isnt going anywhere for a long time, and keeping a pc around for gaming is a good idea. I just got one (first PC) for gaming and its pretty cool. Windows has been pretty good to me so far. So iam a dual user now :rolleyes: but i must say the selection and the fact that these games run great on a newer PCs makes Mac gaming look stale as hell. 6 months if you are lucky more like a year or more behind for most ports. Apple isnt going to die but they dont seem to serious about expanding their marketshare. I mean here iam a long time Mac user getting his first PC. thats a lost sale for Apple but man does Doom3 look great as does anything else i have tried.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Dont Hurt Me said:
Apple isnt going anywhere for a long time, and keeping a pc around for gaming is a good idea. I just got one (first PC) for gaming and its pretty cool. Windows has been pretty good to me so far. So iam a dual user now :rolleyes: but i must say the selection and the fact that these games run great on a newer PCs makes Mac gaming look stale as hell. 6 months if you are lucky more like a year or more behind for most ports. Apple isnt going to die but they dont seem to serious about expanding their marketshare. I mean here iam a long time Mac user getting his first PC. thats a lost sale for Apple but man does Doom3 look great as does anything else i have tried.

Yeah, I'll probably be building myself a PC pretty soon here. I need it for some of the online courses I'm taking anyway--the Windoze Media files they give me don't like me Mac :(

Just out of curiousity, what brand did you get? You should have gotten it from me ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Apple rarely advertises it's computers. that hasn't changed. the focus on music is a good thing, it just means money they wouldn't have otherwise. They have $5 billion in cash, they're debt free, and they have one of the most loyal user bases on earth. They have successful management and continue to innovate. So how exactly do they appear to by dying?

:rolleyes:
paul

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Well apple was taken to the break of extention before and end up being bailed out by MS. They have made a desent recovery and currently are going strong but the question is what is it really like behind the sences and behind all the hype they have right now. What will happen when the hype dies down.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
paulwhannel said:
Apple rarely advertises it's computers. that hasn't changed. the focus on music is a good thing, it just means money they wouldn't have otherwise. They have $5 billion in cash, they're debt free, and they have one of the most loyal user bases on earth. They have successful management and continue to innovate. So how exactly do they appear to by dying?

:rolleyes:
paul

Well, they don't appear to be dying, it's mostly the fact that all the Windoze users say they're going down. Being one of about a few Mac users around here, the crap everyone says about Mac going down starts to get to me... you know, I start to believe it. A little bit of reenforcement that Apple is here to stay is just what I needed. Thanks! :D

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I have both a Windows machine and a 15" Powerbook. I most use the Windows machine to run programs that are only Windows specific. Like some code compilers and some games. I use the PB for everything else which equates to about 85% of the time. And thats being generous. I also don't let the Windows machine on the internet at all. I don't download any updates for it or anything. And if there are any programs I have to download for the PC (which I haven't had to do in months) I run it through the PB first. In my experience, Windows isn't bad if you don't let it near the internet at all. ;)

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Dr. Dastardly said:
I have both a Windows machine and a 15" Powerbook. I most use the Windows machine to run programs that are only Windows specific. Like some code compilers and some games. I use the PB for everything else which equates to about 85% of the time. And thats being generous. I also don't let the Windows machine on the internet at all. I don't download any updates for it or anything. And if there are any programs I have to download for the PC (which I haven't had to do in months) I run it through the PB first. In my experience, Windows isn't bad if you don't let it near the internet at all. ;)

I like that idea--no Internet for the Winblows box :D .

I think I'm going to build myself a gaming box pretty soon here... I want the Sims 2! :p

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
hotwire132002 said:
Anyway--I'm wondering what everyone else thinks--Do you guys think Apple is going to survive, or go down like all the Winblows users say?

All things, good or bad, die out eventually.

It just takes time.

But I think (and hope) Apple will be around for many many more years.

lha72

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Hawaii
They probably will, sooner, rather than later. The reason being, Apple seems to be overly focused on the iPod and music, and when the big companies, such as Sony really get into the market, they're going to eat Apple's lunch.

Apple missed the mark on their G5, slow in upgrading, seeming to promise a 3GHz machine by this summer, then settling for a 2.5GHz, which they are slow to deliver.

Their notebooks are way behind, yet pricey. Compare the Powerbook or iBook to the better WinPC's, their displays are dim and poor and drives are slow. The DVD drives in the new 2.5GHz G5 and Apple's pricey flat panels are made by LG - not the top quality one would expect from "the BMW of computer makers". More of the hyundai of computer makers selling at a BMW price.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a flame war, but as someone who has been a computer user since the early 70's, I see Apple floundering. Sad too, because they have the capability to do well, if they would only focus, especially considering their superb operating system.

EminenceGrise

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
Apple Computer, Inc.: Proudly going out of business since 1995.

Really, the Windows Lusers and 'industry pundits' have been saying "Apple is dying" for years. First it was not licensing the MacOS, then it was the Newton, then Windows 95 is just as good and cheaper, then the ugly iMac would flop, then nobody will buy the iPod, blah blah blah. I'm serious, if you can find a trade magazine from anytime after about 1992 or so, I'm positive you will find at least one story or comment about how Apple is dying. The way I see it, they're doing pretty well for having been dying for over 10 years.

I for one won't be concerned until the 'analysts' all start saying Apple is the greatest company on Earth. At which point I'll be more concerned about staying out of the way of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Hahahaha!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
EminenceGrise said:
Apple Computer, Inc.: Proudly going out of business since 1995.

Really, the Windows Lusers and 'industry pundits' have been saying "Apple is dying" for years. First it was not licensing the MacOS, then it was the Newton, then Windows 95 is just as good and cheaper, then the ugly iMac would flop, then nobody will buy the iPod, blah blah blah. I'm serious, if you can find a trade magazine from anytime after about 1992 or so, I'm positive you will find at least one story or comment about how Apple is dying. The way I see it, they're doing pretty well for having been dying for over 10 years.

I for one won't be concerned until the 'analysts' all start saying Apple is the greatest company on Earth. At which point I'll be more concerned about staying out of the way of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Hahahaha!

Excellent point. I do agree that Apple will be around for quite a while. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts here were--and most everyone seems to have the same view as me :) . I sure hope we're right!

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I don't worry at all

No computer company as of yet as been able to keep up with Apple's ability to innovate and create great new technology. There make great hardware, but what I think sets them apart is there operating system and the programs they write for it, nothing compares. Even if for some reason they were to stop making computers ( I don't know how, I know I give them enough money each year), I'm sure they would still be around writing state of the art programs for audio/video editing and what not.

I have more to say but I'm too tired to think right now. Had a long day of classes.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
hotwire132002 said:
Yeah, I'll probably be building myself a PC pretty soon here. I need it for some of the online courses I'm taking anyway--the Windoze Media files they give me don't like me Mac :(

Just out of curiousity, what brand did you get? You should have gotten it from me ;)
I doubt you sell Aurora's by Alienware, its got a BFG dual fan 6800GT in it. i run everything at 1280 x 1024 :D

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Dont Hurt Me said:
I doubt you sell Aurora's by Alienware, its got a BFG dual fan 6800GT in it. i run everything at 1280 x 1024 :D

Alienware is the best company for PCs that I know of... aside from CoreSoft Multimedia ;) :D.

Good choice!

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
lha72 said:
They probably will, sooner, rather than later. The reason being, Apple seems to be overly focused on the iPod and music, and when the big companies, such as Sony really get into the market, they're going to eat Apple's lunch.

Apple missed the mark on their G5, slow in upgrading, seeming to promise a 3GHz machine by this summer, then settling for a 2.5GHz, which they are slow to deliver.

Their notebooks are way behind, yet pricey. Compare the Powerbook or iBook to the better WinPC's, their displays are dim and poor and drives are slow. The DVD drives in the new 2.5GHz G5 and Apple's pricey flat panels are made by LG - not the top quality one would expect from "the BMW of computer makers". More of the hyundai of computer makers selling at a BMW price.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a flame war, but as someone who has been a computer user since the early 70's, I see Apple floundering. Sad too, because they have the capability to do well, if they would only focus, especially considering their superb operating system.

I have to disagree with you, I think Apple is on the verge of a real renaissance because of the iPod, OSX, and the G5 chip. Not only has Apple been able to gain a chip that has a massive investment potential--even MS wants it--but they have been able to attain a mindshare with the iPod and iTMS, they are the leader here, and while this won't last forever, it helps Apple now. Lastly, even Porche uses Volkwagon parts.

bdomz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
I don't see apple dying anytime soon. True I haven't seen an ad for an apple computer in a while but the only 2 computer companies that I ever see ads for are Dell and IBM. I do see alot of apple computers in the backround for alot of ads for other things though (probably because they look nicer).

As far as building a PC for gaming, I say go for it. (thats basically what an xbox is ) I used to tinker around alot with my gaming PC but I had to give it up, it's a very expensive hobby, especially if you're someone like me who is always upgrading components. As it turns out I had more fun doing the upgrades and running benchmarks than actually playing any games.

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
lha72 said:
Their notebooks are way behind, yet pricey. Compare the Powerbook or iBook to the better WinPC's, their displays are dim and poor and drives are slow.

I completely agree with this statement. Hopefully Apple can address those two BIG issues in the next revison, whether it be a G4 or a G5, or else they will really be hurting. It just kills me to see these amazing displays and 7200 RPM drives in the Windows counterparts of the PB.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I don't think Apple can die as long as Steve Jobs is still alive. After that... Who knows. Some punk will probably run it into the ground and kill it. I think we got a preview when Steve wasn't working for Apple. The cloning thing about killed the Apple name.

On a side note... I completely disagree that a Powerbook is underpowered or overpriced. I might be partial to my powerbook, however I think they are a great value for a laptop. I've been unable to find a PeeCee laptop that has the great options plus looks as nice. If still in doubt... Panther kills WinXP hands down.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
No

Take a look at the stock prices, the popularity of the iPod and new iMac. Then consider the popularity and market domination of ITMS. The integrity of the OS when it comes to security. The reliability and speed of the OS. The life of an Apple computer and the quality, and I think you have a winner.

A company that is going out of business would not be opening stores all over the world like Apple is.

Games and game players are not who keep Apple in business. They are just a loud minority whom are probably a smaller overall niche market than Apple is itself.

I wish I had begun buying Apple stock a few months ago.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
The fact that Apple as a company is older than the original poster, should give some insight that apple isn't going away.

Check this out and tell me a company that has $4 billion in assets is going to go away... :rolleyes:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Just like Andes, Nikon, Fuji, and the Esperanto, every human-made establishment on Earth is going to die, sometime before the Sun engulfs the whole planet. But we won't wake up to find Apple gone anytime soon. Apple is able to invest in a still growing music store, physical retail stores, and operating system software. Microsoft wouldn't even want to buy Apple, because nearly every codemaker there knows that they will not be able to reproduce successfully most of the potential features that would implement into their Macs. In other words, Microsoft's coders have decided to wait and see what new features Apple makes and then use them in their PCs, rather than simplify the Microsoft code (hard work) and work on the simplified code's potential.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
kingjr3 said:
The fact that Apple as a company is older than the original poster, should give some insight that apple isn't going away.

Check this out and tell me a company that has $4 billion in assets is going to go away... :rolleyes:

Good point. I completely agree at this point--Apple is going to be around for a long time :) .

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
lha72 said:

Wow, Sony. A music player that only plays cruddy ATRAC format audio files...horrible music store...dim display...and soon support for MP3s, but we don't know when. MP3s only, mind you, not WAV, Lossless, AAC, AIFF, and iTunes can convert WMA files.
Sony is really trying, and failing, to make headway against the iPod. Someone at my school bought a Dell DJ thingy, and then ended up returning it. Why? Hard to sync, big, slow to play songs, and the battery life on the iPod wasn't such a big deal. 8 hours, 12 hours, 10 hours, whatever it is, they tend to be fairly respectable. The Dell DJ, BTW, holds so many songs due to their 64kb/sec WMA format. The iPod calculates based on 128 kb/sec AAC.
lha72 said:
Watch the keynote. Notice how every chip maker is having trouble going faster. I wouldn't mind 2.5 Ghz. While they did miss their mark...did you really expect them to reach it? It is a marketing ploy, like MS, Apple, every single company in the world does. If everything went correctly, there would have been a 3 Ghz G5. But sh*t happens.
lha72 said:
Their notebooks are way behind, yet pricey. Compare the Powerbook or iBook to the better WinPC's, their displays are dim and poor and drives are slow.
My PowerBook has the brightest display, longest battery life, and the same speed drive over all the laptops that I have seen in our school. My friends Gateway only lasts ~2 hours with the screen dimmed. My PowerBook lasts 2 hours with the screen up to 75% and Airport on. We both have the same CD drives, but I have a slot loading and he doesn't. And note how you say "Compare the PowerBooks to BETTER WinPC's..." If I found a $10,000 laptop it would beat my PowerBook. But for the price, I win.
lha72 said:
The DVD drives in the new 2.5GHz G5 and Apple's pricey flat panels are made by LG - not the top quality one would expect from "the BMW of computer makers". More of the hyundai of computer makers selling at a BMW price.
LG makes good stuff. My cell phone has never had a problem over the last 2 years, and I have dropped it plenty of times. And I believe the DVD drives in the G5s are Pioneers, or Matshitas, not LG. But I might be wrong...
lha72 said:
Apple is doing well. And you spell "Flourishing" like that, not like "floundering."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.