Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I have an new 21.5" Imac with 6GM of RAM. I do NOT game. I currently have VMware set up with a virtual macine w/o Bootcamp.

Is there any advantage to haveing a Bootcamp VM?

Can I have both?

Should I allocate 3GB of RAM for the bootcamp VM?

Thanks

jay

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
BootCamp ≠ VM

Virtualization demands more from the computer but unless you do some heavy tasks on Windows, you'll be fine. You can install BootCamp as well if you want to run Windows natively.

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
sure, you can have both on the same machine.... your VMware virtual machines are limited by disk space more than anything else.

if you have a bootcamp partition you can run it from inside of VMware as your Windows installation.

but as long as you're only needing concurrent Windows/Mac usage i can't think of anything that a bootcamp partition would contribute.

unfortunately, the VMware migration tool can migrate from a bootcamp partition to a standalone VM, but not the other way around - at least from what i can see.

you don't mention what apps you need to run, or which version of Windows - but XP's fine in 1; my Windows 7 instance gets allocated 2GB - but I only use it for one pretty simple app.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Neither of those V2P processes are supported/simple or guaranteed to work. Possible, yes, but a far cry from the P2V migration tools supported by Parallels/VMWare.

B

I never said it's going to be easy ;) It's possible but obviously not the easiest thing to do. Hopefully there will be migration tool for VM to BootCamp in the future

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I never said it's going to be easy ;) It's possible but obviously not the easiest thing to do. Hopefully there will be migration tool for VM to BootCamp in the future

;) Having considered a V2P migration with VMWare and read the tech guide you linked to, I decided I was better off doing a clean install even if it meant buying another license. The Parallels based "howto" seems even worse.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.