Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avis144

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
hi guys..
i have built a hackintosh with:
i7-920
gigabyte mobo with x58 chipset---ud3r
9600 1gb graphic card by gigabyte.
2 hard drives of 1 tera each
6 gb of ram 1600 triple
and so on...

any way..
been trying to install mac os---tiger---with no success..
anyone has any suggestions

many thanks.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Google "iBoot". That's the easiest way of installing Snow Leopard on a Hackintosh.

avis144

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
been trying i boot already.

Google "iBoot". That's the easiest way of installing Snow Leopard on a Hackintosh.

well ivv looked through some of the videos on you tube and i was googling al sort of booting softwares and scripts but with no real solution...
i seemed easy when i looked through the web before i got the hardware for this computer but it ain't..
is seems to me that something is wrong as on the videos on the web it look like when i put mac os in the cd-rom it should run and boot..that's what all the guys in you tube showing down there although i know it can be...

i looked through,i boot and boot 132 but they dont work..
can someone come out with a blood good explanation and guide me toward having my first hackintosh....?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Probably best head over to the InsanelyMac & osx86 forums for proper help, but for my setup (before I got a VM running) - I flashed my BIOS with an update that had the correct bits in to allow native booting (some BIOS's can, some can't - google your board and bios os x. heres a place to start http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141769

(remember most folks on here are gen mac users so will have less advice on hackintosh setups, the guys at insanelymac are pro's at this stuff).

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
hi guys..
i have built a hackintosh with:

any way..
been trying to install mac os---tiger---with no success..
anyone has any suggestions
Technically speaking if you can't boot OSX then you really haven't built a hackintosh. If I remember correctly the only 9600 that was compatible with the Mac was an ATI card for the G5 and ran on an AGP bus. I'm guessing that the 9600 you are referring to is the nVidia 9600GT in which case I believe your out of luck. I found this on the Insanelymac forum
9600 GT is based on G94 GPU, whereas 9800 GTX is based on G92.
There is no G94 driver in osx. You can't use a 9600 GT in a hackintosh.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105539

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Oh...

hackintosh = maintenance, maintenance, maintenance...

Why do people bother?

For most hacks its no more trouble, er maintenance, than winblows. Certainly more maintenance than a real mac but we are talking about machines made to run windows. When the choices are run winblows, linux, or mac, I'll choose mac or linux but never windows.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Oh...

hackintosh = maintenance, maintenance, maintenance...

Why do people bother?

I built mine partly because I could, partly because I wanted a faster machine for less than I'd get it from Apple, and partly for the learning experience.

Plus, it isn't endless maintenance. If I changed nothing from my current setup, I'd never have to do any maintenance at all.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I built mine partly because I could, partly because I wanted a faster machine for less than I'd get it from Apple, and partly for the learning experience.

Plus, it isn't endless maintenance. If I changed nothing from my current setup, I'd never have to do any maintenance at all.

I agree. Even though I don't have one nor never tried one, I've heard they are extremely stable and only updating takes some longer time, but why to bother if everything is okay? I used to say the same thing, Hackintosh is just hassle and constant pain in your ass but it really isn't

If I could choose now, I'd go for 13" MBP and Hackintosh desktop, could get them for the same price as I paid for my iMac

bob5820

macrumors 6502a

I originally moved to the Mac back in 2006 because I was tired of building PC's and there was nothing about Vista that excited me. Now I kind of miss it, (building PC's not Vista). I'm not planning on anything for at least another year, and I'm still undecided if I'll want to keep doing the desktop/MBP or if I'll just move completely to a single MBP. If I do choose to keep using a desktop I'll likely build a Hackintosh rather then get a new MP or iMac.

GMink

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
I've owned several macs going back to the Fat Mac, the last one being a Mac pro 1,1. Money is tight these days for me so I recently built a Hack and here are my thoughts.

Pro's
1) I'm running at 4.5Ghz on a i7 920 Linx stable (yes it is very fast)
2) 6 hd bays, 6 5.25 bays
3) SATA 3 and USB 3.0
4) Total build cost less than $2400 including high end water cooling, 6Tb worth of drives, 2x ATI 4870 cards, uber nice case, and Intel 160gb SSD

Con's
1) Still limited to supported Video cards
2) Major updates to OSX can be an obstacle to overcome, best practice is not to update until solutions are found.
3) if your not a hands on kind of person then building your own system isn't for you.

There's nothing wrong with building a Hack. If I had the money I'd buy a new Mac Pro when they finally come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.