PDA

View Full Version : 13-Year-Old Youngest to Summit Everest

ucfgrad93
May 22, 2010, 02:10 PM
A 13-year-old American boy became the youngest climber to reach the top of Mount Everest on Saturday, breaking the former record as part of his quest to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents.

A spokesman for Jordan Romero said the boy's team called him by satellite phone from the summit of the world's highest mountain, 29,035 feet above sea level.

That is quite an accomplishment! :eek: Congrats to him and support team. That said, I think the risks of Everest are too great for 13 year olds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37287110/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia

Supa_Fly
May 22, 2010, 02:32 PM
That is an incredible achievement! I'm VERY curious how this changes the outlook on one's life at that age?!

flopticalcube
May 22, 2010, 02:38 PM
He scaled Kilimanjaro at age 10 so he was well prepared for Everest. A great achievement if a little fool-hardy on his father's part.

citizenzen
May 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
It's stupidity.

It will increase the pressure to better the record.

Finally, when some eight-year old dies in the attempt everyone will ask, "Is this wise?"

Ummmm.... no.

tabasco70
May 22, 2010, 10:41 PM
yea thats why im pretty sure they stopped recognizing 'youngest' records for global circumnavigation in sailing. too dangerous and promotes younger kids to risk their lives.

Cougarcat
May 22, 2010, 10:56 PM
There's nothing like a pair of kangaroo testicles to help you reach the summit of a very dangerous mountain.

MrSmith
May 23, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hopefully a haircut is lined up somewhere in his future.

Peterkro
May 23, 2010, 10:26 AM
Meanwhile 22 year old Brit nearly dies:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/23/bonita-norris-everest-mountaineering

I suspect the Sherpas are getting a little pissed off that any rich westerner with $10,000 to spare can hire them to carry some tool up then down their sacred mountain in the process turning it into a giant rubbish dump.

lionheartednyhc
May 23, 2010, 11:25 AM
Psh, I did that **** when I was 6. I just didn't brag about it like this fool.

In all seriousness, impressive.