Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DdMac679

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
United States
I currently own a PS3 and an outdated gaming rig. I have been toying with the idea these last couple of weeks of buying a 360 instead of spending the money on a new machine. I am worried though if it is worth it. The only games I can think of for the PC I would want that I can't get on a 360 would be D3 or SCII. Are there any other duel 360/PS3 owners out there that could give me some feedback from your own experience? Is the 360 worth owning along side a PS3 or should I just build a new rig?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I am going to say to build a new PC. But it is all personal choice at the end of the day.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
PC. Most 360 & PC titles are far better on PC and with most games having 360 controller support now you get a better looking, better running game for usually a lot less (ie. Steam/D2D deals). Plus you get all the awesome upcoming PC only games like Civ V <3

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Another vote for PC here. I like what the consoles do but they're very limited. Only one control method, games are "casualised", have to pay to play online (Xbox), limited game library.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
WAIT!!! Don't buy anything yet. E3 is just around the corner and rumours have been rife about a new 360 slim so see what happens. We'll also hopefully get more insight into Natal which is something you won't get on your PC.
And IMO, don't get so hung up on the graphics, it's playability you want and there are plenty of games gamers love on ALL platforms and they don't care about graphics.
But then Star Craft 2 looks pretty damn good... See what happens at E3 then decide?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Build the PC.

I have a PS3 and 360, and find that I have hardly any 360 titles - I buy the cross platform for the PS3, which leaves the 360 with pretty slim pickings, basically exclusives only (and I'm not into Halo...).

On the other hand, I have a massive stack of PC games that don't exist on consoles. If it came to it, I'd ditch the 360 and just have my PS3 and PC (well, bootcamp).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've always much preferred a PC over any console. Most ofit has to do with me liking the keyboard/mouse combo. Even though the 360 is great and is fully capable you're limited go xbox live I belive. Not so much with a pc.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You already have a PS3 so IMO X360 would be useless as they have the same games with few exceptions. PC on the other hand has many titles which consoles don't, e.g. strategy and MMORG games plus some people don't like FPS games on consoles.

You can use the case of your old rig and possible DVD and hard drive depending on the interface. If you tell me your budget for the rig, I can come up with a suggestion of what to buy, I build PCs for living.

I don't like gaming on PCs nor on Macs, that's why I have PS3. So easy to just pop the game in and start gaming and never worry about graphics or driver updates etc. Console gaming is also cheaper but on PC you can get games for free ;)

DdMac679

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
United States
You can use the case of your old rig and possible DVD and hard drive depending on the interface. If you tell me your budget for the rig, I can come up with a suggestion of what to buy, I build PCs for living.

If I go the PC route:

I already use an Antec 900 case w/ 850w P/S. I would want to build using an i7 processor and latest nVidia graphics card. I didn't have plans to use RAID but wouldn't mind entertaining that option. I don't see the need to use SLI at this time but maybe down the road. My DVD will have to be replaced but that's cheap enough. If I went a little overboard in options I was looking around 1400 for the parts (memory included).

Parts Needed
-Motherboard
-Memory
-Video card
-Processor

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If I go the PC route:

I already use an Antec 900 case w/ 850w P/S. I would want to build using an i7 processor and latest nVidia graphics card. I didn't have plans to use RAID but wouldn't mind entertaining that option. I don't see the need to use SLI at this time but maybe down the road. My DVD will have to be replaced but that's cheap enough. If I went a little overboard in options I was looking around 1400 for the parts (memory included).

Parts Needed
-Motherboard
-Memory
-Video card
-Processor

Motherboard - 260$
Processor - 289$
Memory - 440$ (buy two of those kits to get 12GB)
Video card - 538$

Total: 1537$

Of course you can get 6GB first to save 220$ and then upgrade later on if needed. That doesn't include hard drive or DVD drive as you said you don't need one but the mobo supports RAID

Just my recommendation so feel free to ask and change and recommend your own

DdMac679

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
United States
Do you think the 900 case is #1 large enough to support growth (SLI/RAID) and #2 have enough airflow to keep that growth cooled?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i like consoles as i can not, nor ever get used to a mouse and keyboard and you cant play with friends (in the same room)

i much prefer lounging on a couch with a controller than hunched over a computer

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i much prefer lounging on a couch with a controller than hunched over a computer
You don't have to hunch over a computer, I sit back in a recliner when I'm playing PC games :).

You also don't have to use keyboard/mouse controls. The PC is the only platform that you can play any game with any control method. Using a little app called Glovepie I set up Half Life 2 to be played by my Wii controller and midi keyboard.

S'all about options.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Do you think the 900 case is #1 large enough to support growth (SLI/RAID) and #2 have enough airflow to keep that growth cooled?

It can easily house them both. It has several HD bays for multiple HDs and as long as the mobo has space for SLI, the case has too. For better cooling, you can always change the CPU cooler for e.g. this and add some case fans to keep the air moving. Stock fans are pretty good though, just look at the temps and you'll be fine.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Motherboard - 260$
Processor - 289$
Memory - 440$ (buy two of those kits to get 12GB)
Video card - 538$

Total: 1537$

Of course you can get 6GB first to save 220$ and then upgrade later on if needed. That doesn't include hard drive or DVD drive as you said you don't need one but the mobo supports RAID

Just my recommendation so feel free to ask and change and recommend your own
12GB of RAM in a gaming box is ridiculous. No game will make anywhere near full use of that much memory - hell, most won't even touch 6GB. I'd stick with the 6GB, halving your outlay on RAM - possibly even more if you go for a lower density stick (ie: 6 slots of 1GB, rather than 3 slots of 2GB).

Secondly, the GTX 480 is a hot, expensive, waste of space. I used to swear by nVIDIA's products, but ATi have suckered them this time. Buy a 5870 and have done with it - you can always Crossfire in the future if you really need to.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
You don't have to hunch over a computer, I sit back in a recliner when I'm playing PC games :).

You also don't have to use keyboard/mouse controls. The PC is the only platform that you can play any game with any control method. Using a little app called Glovepie I set up Half Life 2 to be played by my Wii controller and midi keyboard.

S'all about options.

Really? Hmm, may have to reconsider it again.

I had gotten COD4 on the pc and it did not have native support for controllers which made the experience not that enjoyable for me. How do you get controller support for games that don't have it built in and have it work well?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
12GB of RAM in a gaming box is ridiculous. No game will make anywhere near full use of that much memory - hell, most won't even touch 6GB. I'd stick with the 6GB, halving your outlay on RAM - possibly even more if you go for a lower density stick (ie: 6 slots of 1GB, rather than 3 slots of 2GB).

Secondly, the GTX 480 is a hot, expensive, waste of space. I used to swear by nVIDIA's products, but ATi have suckered them this time. Buy a 5870 and have done with it - you can always Crossfire in the future if you really need to.

He wanted the latest nVidia card, I know GTX 4xx sucks. I would get ATI over nVidia any day, no doubt. For cheapish but good CF he could get 5870 and e.g. 5770 (they work in CF right? (I've heard they do but never tried))

Chuushajou

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
London
I also vote for PC, they are more versatile and 99% you can do on the PS3/Xbox you can do on the PC, even if you don't like the keyboard and mouse, you can always use 360 controller. Games are also cheaper for two reasons, the developer doesn't have to pay license to the console developer, that is why most games are £40 on PS3/Xbox and £30 on the PC. Oh and Steam deals are always on!

Console gaming is also cheaper but on PC you can get games for free ;)

Console gaming isn't cheaper, see above ;)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
He wanted the latest nVidia card, I know GTX 4xx sucks. I would get ATI over nVidia any day, no doubt.

Well at the present time lol. It was just a year or so ago where nvidia was the platform to get and ATI was the one to avoid!
Games are also cheaper for two reasons, the developer doesn't have to pay license to the console developer, that is why most games are £40 on PS3/Xbox and £30 on the PC. Oh and Steam deals are always on!

From my experience, games tend to run the same as console prices

Console gaming isn't cheaper, see above ;)

How so? the setup costs are cheaper for consoles and games are the same price

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well at the present time lol. It was just a year or so ago where nvidia was the platform to get and ATI was the one to avoid!

Yeah, GTX 2xx series was better than ATI 4xxx (performance wise) but now that nVidia has/had issues with Fermi, ATI is clear winner. GTX 480 was supposed to be a lot faster but it's about as fast as ATI 5870 but GTX 480 has barbecue feature which 5870 doesn't :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well I am just use to using nVidia cards. If the current ATI's blow the GTX4 cards away then I will be heading back to ATI.

Yeah, ATI 5xxx beats GTX 4xxx in every category! Get this instead the GTX 480

Then when you need more speed, just buy other 5xxx card e.g. 5850 or 5770 and CF them

Chuushajou

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
London

DdMac679

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
United States
I appreciate everyone’s feedback concerning this issue. Now comes the fun part of weighing all options and determining the best course of action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.