PDA

View Full Version : David Jones puts a new face on G5

RubberChicken
Oct 7, 2004, 10:13 PM
Just opened the current issue of Australian Macworld and the first spread is a double page ad for the Powermac G5 and new screen. Take a closer look at the face on the G5. I swear I have not touched this in Photoshop, its a direct scan of half the ad. You will need to click on the large image link to get the full picture (approx 160 KB).

http://www.frontdesign.com.au/DJ_G5_Ad_Macworld_AU_10sm.jpg
Large Version (http://www.frontdesign.com.au/DJ_G5_Ad_Macworld_AU_10.jpg)

Mechcozmo
Oct 7, 2004, 10:19 PM
If you read the disclaimer: "David Jones is not responsible for spontaneous combustion of the Power Macintosh G5 due to face-plate change. Shipping, Handling, Dropping, and Misc. Fees may apply."

invaLPsion
Oct 7, 2004, 10:19 PM
Just opened the current issue of Australian Macworld and the first spread is a double page ad for the Powermac G5 and new screen. Take a closer look at the face on the G5. I swear I have not touched this in Photoshop, its a direct scan of half the ad. You will need to click on the large image link to get the full picture (approx 160 KB).

http://www.frontdesign.com.au/DJ_G5_Ad_Macworld_AU_10sm.jpg
Large Version (http://www.frontdesign.com.au/DJ_G5_Ad_Macworld_AU_10.jpg)

soooo......

What? :confused:

Sun Baked
Oct 7, 2004, 10:23 PM
soooo......

What? :confused:Some people are just starting to realize they do a lot of photo retouching these days.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 7, 2004, 10:29 PM
Some people are just starting to realize they do a lot of photo retouching these days.

But the question here I think is why they did it and why Apple didn't do anything about it.

Odd, though. I'd love to see finer detail on the front, seems to be some sort of fabric, but I can't tell....

D

hcuar
Oct 7, 2004, 10:30 PM
What's the big deal? I don't see anything special. :confused:

RubberChicken
Oct 7, 2004, 10:43 PM
What's the big deal? I don't see anything special. :confused:

Well I did say you need to view the larger image.

I thought the retouching was disgustingly obvious, but for those that don't share my view...

If you look at the larger image, they have replaced the mesh front with a gradated fill and added noise to it in Photoshop. It is of course far more obvious on the printed ad. Still, even on the large image I posted, it is a rather obvious and extremely amateurish retouching job, the point of which escapes me. The noise is not even softened, so it is sharper than the grain in the image. Remember this is a full page ad in a prominent magazine for a primo product in a "prestige" department store. I thought the blunder might be of passing interest to someone else, if not... then, as someone said, so what...

Drewswa77
Oct 7, 2004, 11:56 PM
There was probably a Moire in the original shot. So it was retouched, blur and add noise.

aus_dave
Oct 8, 2004, 12:16 AM
Just opened the current issue of Australian Macworld and the first spread is a double page ad for the Powermac G5 and new screen.It's better than the Designwyse ad in last month's issue, which featured a headline mentioning "...an Apple XServe with Unlimed User License..." :rolleyes:.

RubberChicken
Oct 8, 2004, 12:21 AM
There was probably a Moire in the original shot. So it was retouched, blur and add noise.

I would not have thought it likely to get Moire with the image such a large size as the mesh would large enough to avoid screen clash , though I have certainly seen it on much smaller images of the G5.

At any rate, my point was that the retouching has significantly changed the appearance of the facia. David Jones is usually renowned for high quality print ads, so it stands out. And it's really, really obvious at full size on the print ad.

RubberChicken
Oct 8, 2004, 12:23 AM
It's better than the Designwyse ad in last month's issue, which featured a headline mentioning "...an Apple XServe with Unlimed User License..." :rolleyes:.

I'm just not going to mention how many ads I've sent to print with typos. Shhhhh...