Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterchris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I don't get it. Say I record some TV episodes on my DVD recoder on LP mode, which for all attentive purposes is 4 hrs. The final product is decent. Why can't I do the same when I put say 4 or 5 40-45min episodes on Visual Hub, Toast, or even handbrake. I still get pixelation, especially with my Battlestar Galactica episodes? I use 4.7gb discs. I don't have HD, just a big tube Mitsubishi TV. Is there a better way? Do I have to go to extremes and buy Final Cut Pro, and take the class?:confused:

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I don't get it. Say I record some TV episodes on my DVD recoder on LP mode, which for all attentive purposes is 4 hrs. The final product is decent. Why can't I do the same when I put say 4 or 5 40-45min episodes on Visual Hub, Toast, or even handbrake. I still get pixelation, especially with my Battlestar Galactica episodes? I use 4.7gb discs. I don't have HD, just a big tube Mitsubishi TV. Is there a better way? Do I have to go to extremes and buy Final Cut Pro, and take the class?:confused:

Make sure you have a high enough bitrate. Your DVD burner very likely uses a Constant Bitrate... probably around 4500 kbit. Also remember that many DVD recorders sacrifice screen resolution for fidelity, so you could be recording in 480x480 or 352x480 and gain considerable quality of video despite the lower resolution.

misterchris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Pixelation, Burning DVD's

Thanx, I'll give it try, but what is a high enough bit rate? Should I use Visual Hub or Handbrake?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Thanx, I'll give it try, but what is a high enough bit rate? Should I use Visual Hub or Handbrake?

The bitrate is a tradeoff for quality vs size.

You'll need to play around with it. There are alot of presets with both products that should probably work just fine...if you want really great performance, don't try to fit more than 120 minutes on a single sided disc.
DVD-R's are cheap these days :)

You can also drop the resolution, like I said... 480x480 is a really strong compromise but not all DVD players will play that resolution correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.