PDA

View Full Version : Crazy iPod clicking

CMillerERAU
Oct 8, 2004, 12:52 AM
Hey everyone, this is really perplexing me and being a rather experienced mac user I hate having to ask for help on this.

This last summer my iPod developed this clicking noise (not the actual clicker, it came from the hard disk). I noticed that file transfers started taking incredibly long and each click made the whole transfer stop for a second. Eventually it got so bad the iPod was practically useless for uploading music, files etc. Oddly enough this only happens when its connected to my mac.

After talking it over with Apple they had it sent in and was returned to me with nothing fixed. It was reformatted and worked for about a week. I've done several restores myself as well as a disk scan using the iPod's built in utilities. The 3rd time in for repair Apple replaced the whole thing and I got a new unit of the same 20GB non-click wheel (the version that just got replace). Worked great again for a week and now its doing the same thing! Between getting this replacement iPod I reformatted my mac and ran the hardware test CD just to be absolutely sure it wasn't the computer. So now I'm back to where I started with an iPod that makes this wierd clicking noise and uploads that take 10x longer than they should.

Any suggestions?! This is getting rediculous and I'm dreading calling Apple back if this is something that I'm doing wrong.

grapes911
Oct 8, 2004, 01:08 AM
Hey everyone, this is really perplexing me and being a rather experienced mac user I hate having to ask for help on this.

This last summer my iPod developed this clicking noise (not the actual clicker, it came from the hard disk). I noticed that file transfers started taking incredibly long and each click made the whole transfer stop for a second. Eventually it got so bad the iPod was practically useless for uploading music, files etc. Oddly enough this only happens when its connected to my mac.

After talking it over with Apple they had it sent in and was returned to me with nothing fixed. It was reformatted and worked for about a week. I've done several restores myself as well as a disk scan using the iPod's built in utilities. The 3rd time in for repair Apple replaced the whole thing and I got a new unit of the same 20GB non-click wheel (the version that just got replace). Worked great again for a week and now its doing the same thing! Between getting this replacement iPod I reformatted my mac and ran the hardware test CD just to be absolutely sure it wasn't the computer. So now I'm back to where I started with an iPod that makes this wierd clicking noise and uploads that take 10x longer than they should.

Any suggestions?! This is getting rediculous and I'm dreading calling Apple back if this is something that I'm doing wrong.

I doubt it is something you are going wrong. Clicking on any size harddrive usually means the drive is going bad. My guess is that you have bad luck :rolleyes: Call apple, the worst they can say is "we can't help you."