PDA

View Full Version : New Touch today, that bad?

RollTide
May 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
So I was at work today and my Wife called and said hey I got you a present, I said cool and I'll see you later. I keep up to date on the latest news and have been wanting a new touch since my 1st gen is getting very dated.

Of Course I appreciate the gesture and I thanks her for it, but if Apple comes out with a new one in the next few days (or weeks) is there anyway to trade it back? She bought it from Wal-Mart of all places and I still have the receipt and box.

It's an 8GB if that matters. Thanks guys

appleguy123
May 23, 2010, 07:00 PM
I doubt that it will happen until September.

RollTide
May 23, 2010, 07:11 PM
I doubt that it will happen until September.

If the update is just a camera then I feel like it was totally worth it.

Dagless
May 23, 2010, 07:21 PM
If the update is just a camera then I feel like it was totally worth it.

It'll be the usual speed bump, max memory increase. But beyond that we don't know.

upaymeifixit
May 23, 2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah, it could be as late as September, but I would still wait. Unless you're really itching for a new iPod Touch, I would take it back.

thefaceless
May 23, 2010, 09:18 PM

Well if it's an 8GB it's technically outdated already, as those use second gen hardware compared to the 32/64GB's third gen.

I'd be considering trying to take it back if I were you. The 8GB one can't even use all of the features coming out in iOS 4 (multitasking being the biggest thing you'd be denied).

tadad1
May 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
Sadly if it an 8GB it is basically already a 2 year old design and as the 1st gen touch has become obsolete this year with no OS4.0 update and the 2nd gen only getting a cutdown version of OS4.0 I foresee it becoming obsolete next year and certainly won't be available to buy after September.

Similar to the predicted\leaked iPhone changes we may also see a design shakeup for this years touch as well.

BoulderBum
May 24, 2010, 01:24 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say keep it.

I've had iPod Touches in the past, and the funny thing about them is that they have ridiculously good resale value. If a next gen release gets announced, you can sell the thing on EBay for a decent price if you take good care of it.

Consider it a "rental" to enjoy and use until the next version arrives, which will likely be many months down the road. You may even end up keeping it when you find out it's a perfectly capable video and game player!

Besides, you have to have a little emotional intelligence here. Your wife did something really awesome for you and if you return the gadget, she may feel disappointed or hurt (even if she says otherwise), and she'll almost certainly hesitate the next time she feels the urge to buy you a new gadget. You don't want that, do you?

RollTide
May 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I agree that I will miss the gesturing bit, but my early September 2007 touch lasted this long and is still kicking. So I guess I will keep it, it was a present after all. The wife wants an ipad so I can still get my tech fix when she gets it. If this were a new Mac it would be a different story.

Thanks again.

Plutonius
May 24, 2010, 05:22 PM
So I was at work today and my Wife called and said hey I got you a present, I said cool and I'll see you later. I keep up to date on the latest news and have been wanting a new touch since my 1st gen is getting very dated.

Of Course I appreciate the gesture and I thanks her for it, but if Apple comes out with a new one in the next few days (or weeks) is there anyway to trade it back? She bought it from Wal-Mart of all places and I still have the receipt and box.

The 8G is really not a 3rd gen one (it's the same as the 2nd gen one) and you really need a 32G or 64G to get the most out of os4.

The next gen Touch will probably be out in August/September. I would recommend returning the 8G and get a 32G/64G or returning the 8G and waiting for August/September for the next gen.

WiseMarley
May 24, 2010, 07:23 PM
Besides, you have to have a little emotional intelligence here. Your wife did something really awesome for you and if you return the gadget, she may feel disappointed or hurt (even if she says otherwise), and she'll almost certainly hesitate the next time she feels the urge to buy you a new gadget. You don't want that, do you?

Smart man. Too many times i've returned a gift my wife has gotten me. She'll say it is fine, but in reality she'll be disappointed that the gift didn't go over as well as it could have.

My wife no longer buys gifts for me.

kbfr08
May 24, 2010, 07:30 PM

An upgrade is an upgrade, be thankful especially since it was a gift.

RollTide
May 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
An upgrade is an upgrade, be thankful especially since it was a gift.

Exactly.

rjenovai
May 24, 2010, 10:38 PM

I've got that one and it works just fine. While it won't fully utilize all of the upcoming iPhone OS 4 new features, you'll still get some of the new features like the new mail app and game center. Keep it and enjoy!

JAT
May 26, 2010, 04:29 PM
Just upgrade it now to a 32GB. Don't tell her.

gnasher729
May 26, 2010, 07:15 PM

Returning presents from your wife = Bad karma.

It's a present from your wife. You have to love it. If a new iPod Touch comes out tomorrow, you still have to love it. If you return it, she may seem to be cool with that, but she isn't.

iMav
May 26, 2010, 08:39 PM
Returning presents from your wife = Bad karma.

It's a present from your wife. You have to love it. If a new iPod Touch comes out tomorrow, you still have to love it. If you return it, she may seem to be cool with that, but she isn't.

If you have to hide your true feelings from your spouse, then you've got other issues. My wife would rather I return something and get what I really want then to feign contentment with a gift I am dissatisfied with.

xlii
May 26, 2010, 08:58 PM
The back to school promo just started and ends in September. You will not see an updated iPod Touch until after the promo ends. You can take that to Vegas...

bigbren47
May 29, 2010, 11:33 AM
The back to school promo just started and ends in September. You will not see an updated iPod Touch until after the promo ends. You can take that to Vegas...

That's why I went for the 32gb this week:)

J&JPolangin
May 29, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'd talk to your wife and thank her profusely for the gift... then I'd add some extra $$ to it for the 32 or 64 Gb model at Walmart... win/win for you both:D

MattA
May 29, 2010, 07:18 PM
If it were me, I'd probably keep it. I love it when my wife tries to surprise me with stuff. Even though I'd still rather have the 3rd gen hardware, I'd probably just deal.

After talking to my wife though, she said she'd talk it over with me and try to get me to realize that if it's an upgrade, it should be upgraded fully.

So I say keep it. My wife says to try to get the wife to see fit to upgrade it.

Diet Pepsi
May 30, 2010, 09:24 AM
The 32g is much more expensive. I am very happy with my 8g. I have to sync it to my laptop, no matter what, so I keep all my libraries on there and an external HD.

You've got a neat wife.

MattA
May 30, 2010, 11:42 PM
The 32g is much more expensive. I am very happy with my 8g. I have to sync it to my laptop, no matter what, so I keep all my libraries on there and an external HD.

It's not about the storage on the Touch, it's about the extra hardware that the 32GB and 64GB units have. They have faster processors, more internal memory, etc. They will be able to take advantage of multitasking when iPhone OS4 comes out. The 8GB Touch's are 2nd Gen hardware, and don't have any of these.

The $100 more for the 32GB is well worth the cash, IMO.

You've got a neat wife.

Definitely! :)

HuggyLowDown
May 31, 2010, 01:09 AM
Apple just started its Back To School Promotion on May 25, so they won't probably release a new one till the beginning of September, but they'll probably announce it at the WWDC.

DifferentialApp
May 31, 2010, 06:17 PM
with my second gen running 4.0, there is a very subtle difference between 4.0 and 3.1.3. You cannot have multitasking, background images, and many other things. it's quite sad. i would wait.

longball11
May 31, 2010, 07:12 PM
I ordered an 8 GB iPod Touch for the BTS. It's already shipped and should be here in a day or two. But I am having second thoughts and want the 32 GB. Can I take the ordered 8 GB and go to the apple store and exchange it for the 32 GB and pay the difference (100$)?

deanchan
Jun 2, 2010, 03:09 AM
I ordered an 8 GB iPod Touch for the BTS. It's already shipped and should be here in a day or two. But I am having second thoughts and want the 32 GB. Can I take the ordered 8 GB and go to the apple store and exchange it for the 32 GB and pay the difference (100$)?

I also want to do the same thing~~

Revomonster
Jun 2, 2010, 09:35 PM
I have a third gen ipod touch 32 gb. I would sugjest that you get a new ipod when it comes out. If you want the multitasking update when it comes out I would return it and get a new one. But that is jut my opinion. I think that it is up to you. :apple: Rules