PDA

View Full Version : Ipod screen busted

advres
Oct 8, 2004, 09:59 AM
OK, so I had my Ipod in my messenger bag the other day on the train. I was reading the paper so I was not listening to it and I had the earbuds wrapped around the pod to keep everything neat in my bag (bad idea).

The strap on my bag "unexpectedly quit" and my bag took a tumble down to the floor. I didn't even think about my Ipod because I was too concerned about my PB. Luckily I use a nice ACME sleeve for it inside my bag so all was well.

I get home and go to put my pod in the dock and low and behold, there are two nice big cracks in the LCD and half of the screen is now a nice shade of blue! :rolleyes:

Well, I figured it was no big deal because I hardly look at the screen anyway but am beginning to find it annoying and would like to get it fixed. Anyone have experiences on this subject? I could really live with it, if the price is going to be astronomical.

The real bad news is, no applecare on it. :eek:

BTY, it's a 3G 20G

jxyama
Oct 8, 2004, 10:06 AM
The real bad news is, no applecare on it. :eek:

applecare wouldn't cover an accident anyway, so that doesn't matter...

you could look around for a dead iPod with a screen intact on eBay and do a little surgery on the iPod yourself, but other than that, i'm not sure if there's a cheap way to fix it...

i'd continue to use it for a bit and save for a new one with more features/capacity?

grapes911
Oct 8, 2004, 10:12 AM
applecare wouldn't cover an accident anyway, so that doesn't matter...

you could look around for a dead iPod with a screen intact on eBay and do a little surgery on the iPod yourself, but other than that, i'm not sure if there's a cheap way to fix it...

i'd continue to use it for a bit and save for a new one with more features/capacity?

jxyama is right--there is no cheap way to fix it. Apple is going to charge you $249 to fix it. Here is a site that charges $140 (http://www.pdasmart.com/ipodpartscenter.htm). Just deal with it and save your money for a new one.

jackieonasses
Oct 8, 2004, 10:28 AM
Just use it as a firewire disk between computers....

advres
Oct 8, 2004, 11:17 AM
Just use it as a firewire disk between computers....
I already do that as well as use it for tunes. It's just a pretty expensive FW drive as well w/o the speed of my other one. Well looks like I will be saving for a new one.

Such is life. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help everyone.