Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borderline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy ny first camcorder, not an expensive one. I was looking at the Canon FS306.
I've read mixed reviews about compatibility. I have imovie08.
All I want to do with the clips is edit them slightly and upload them to the web.
I understand that whatever the file format, either .mod or avchd I will have to convert the file to something that imovie08 will be able to open, right?

what options do I have? what do I exactly need to export files from any camcorder and able to edit them on imovie08?
thank you:eek:

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
What are your requirements?

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy ny first camcorder, not an expensive one. I was looking at the Canon FS306.
All I want to do with the clips is edit them slightly and upload them to the web.
I understand that whatever the file format, either .mod or avchd I will have to convert the file to something that imovie08 will be able to open, right?

what options do I have? what do I exactly need to export files from any camcorder and able to edit them on imovie08?

What are your requirements? Do you need high-definition video? Are you shooting mostly indoors or outdoors?

You can get a pretty decent HD camera for under $200 if you don't want any special features -- check out the Flip Ultra HD or Flip Mino HD. But you won't be able to use wide angle or zoom lenses or filters and can't use an external microphone, but they're extremely portable and the image they produce is pretty good for non-professional work. I have the non-HD version of the Mino and can drop its files directly into Final Cut Express -- haven't used iMovie since '06 -- but it's best to use VisualHub (if you were lucky enough to purchase it before it was cancelled) to convert to a DV file for best results editing in FCE.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I want an sd-card, hd camcorder to replace my mini-dv canon sd camcorder. It has too have better video/audio/zoom then those little flip ones. I want to take the sd-card out of the camera, slide it into my new iMac and use imovie to do a little editing. I don't care if it is then downconverted, I want to then burn this onto dvds to give to my parents and inlaws. I will then keep the original sd card video for myself to have the full hd video for all time. I don't want to spend a thousand bucks but would like a fairly recent model, with good audio and low-light shooting. There are a few canon models. I can't decide. Please help me, too.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Have you checked out camcorderinfo?

Have you checked out camcorderinfo.com? They go into a lot of those details (bright light quality, low light quality, MSRP). They also occasionally mention Mac compatibility when you get to the section dealing with editing.

borderline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I don't mind if it is HD or not. I just want something easy to edit on Imovie08.
But better than the flippos
I currently have a Panasonic TZ7, it takes great clips but it has the downside of a limited time recording

I looked at camcorderinfo and there is not much in there, not a user friendly site I might add

WayneH1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Hi all,

You might want to consider a good point and shoot camera that also records video, such as the Canon A2000 IS for under $200. It's a has a 6X optical zoom, image stabilization, and will record 640x480 video. So you get an awesome still camera with the ability to shoot video at modest quality. These videos import smoothly into iMovie '09 (I haven't tried '08).

Higher quality video is also available from higher quality cameras - for instance some digital SLR cameras will record HD video. It's really something to consider if you have any interest in the still camera.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
You might want to consider a good point and shoot camera that also records video, such as the Canon A2000 IS for under $200. It's a has a 6X optical zoom, image stabilization, and will record 640x480 video. So you get an awesome still camera with the ability to shoot video at modest quality. These videos import smoothly into iMovie '09 (I haven't tried '08).

Higher quality video is also available from higher quality cameras - for instance some digital SLR cameras will record HD video. It's really something to consider if you have any interest in the still camera.

Well if audio quality is of any concern, then that would really work. They capture terrible audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.