Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143246-iphone_3G_aus.jpg

iPhone 3G in Australian online Apple Store
With just two weeks to go until Apple is expected to unveil new iPhone hardware, it appears that supplies of the low-end 8 GB iPhone 3G are beginning to run dry. According to Boy Genius Report, Apple has stopped supplying AT&T stores with the device, suggesting that the model is being phased out of production.
We've heard that Apple has stopped shipping iPhone 3G 8GB units to AT&T stores and orders are not being placed for the device. Could this mean we might see the iPhone 3GS drop to $99 and make way for a new model?
Meanwhile, several MacRumors readers have noted shortages of the iPhone 3G in other countries. In Australia, where Apple sells contract-free iPhones online at unsubsidized prices, the 8 GB iPhone is listed as "Currently Unavailable". Similarly, customers looking to order iPhone 3G models in the United Kingdom through carrier O2 similarly appear to be having a difficult time, with a drop-down menu on O2's iPhone ordering page showing only new and reconditioned iPhone 3GS options despite the menu's description noting an iPhone 3G option.

143523-o2_no_iphone_3g.jpg

O2's iPhone ordering page
While Apple's exact plans for the next line-up of iPhone models are not yet known, many observers, including analyst Katy Huberty of Morgan Stanley, have suggested that Apple may follow its existing pattern by introducing new hardware in multiple capacities while sliding the existing low-end iPhone 3GS down to the $99 price point currently occupied by the 8 GB iPhone 3G.

Article Link: iPhone 3G Supplies Begin to Run Dry Ahead of WWDC

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
Good ridence 8GB. Good to see 16GB now being entry level. I feel sorry for people who spend $800 for a 1st gen 4GB iphone.:rolleyes:

taltal

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Same in the Zurich Apple Store (Switzerland): Staff have manually crossed out the 3G from the product lists in the store.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Makes sense really. They're not going to want to have to push three models.

Not avaliable in on line store in NEw Zealand either. Are we going to get a Worldwide release at the same time!!?

(my poor old 3G is finally obsolete :( )

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Sweet, really getting pumped for WWDC. To be honest, im excited about what "else" other than the iPhone will be demoed or announced specially after the leak. I hope they announce paid upgrades for devs in the App Store. Oh, and iChat please!

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I think the new iPhone will be available the same day on AT&T subject to the new termination fees if you upgrade. I think Steve will announce other carriers will have it later in the summer. Probably a deal worked out with AT&T to end the exclusivity agreement and shore up the iPad data plan pricing they received.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
if the new iphone is announced on june 7, any chance it would be available to order that week?
There's always a chance, but it would be little, not big.

However, if they follow their previous iPhone release behavior, they will ship the new handset on a Friday at least a week later, meaning Friday the 18th at the earliest.

morrisseyslad

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
I lost my phone last week and they cannot replace it and so have given me back £460. Its going on a 4g hopefully. A result!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Can't say that this is surprising news. I think that the 16GB Gs will be the new low end phone when the new iPhone comes out this summer.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'd say there's a 99.99% chance we'll see:

$99 3GS 16 gb
$199 HD 32 gb
$299 HD 64 gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.