Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lrittz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I just picked up this Macbook at the store:::

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...qid=1274280709&sr=8-1?ie=UTF8&tag=pcysm005-20

Talked with the salesman and didn't lile the fact that was it was only 2GB RAM..

He told me I have 2 options:

a) have the store install for $150 (parts and labor)
or

b) look at a Youtube tutorial to install 2gB ram making the total RAM = 4GB

I REALLY need the extra 2GB because of the programs I run (heavy) but don't feel like paying extra for a macbook pro or paying an extra $150...

my 3 questions

1) Will my warranty be void if I open the Mac and install the extra RAM? (salesman said no, but he is a salesman) (PS I plan to get Applecare, BUT only on the 12th month when the 1st year warranty will run out soon, as mentioned on this site)

2) This is my first Mac - so do I buy RAM specific to MAC - any cheap/good deals you guys know of specific to this model??

3) This particular model is supposedly a UNIBODY Mac, so my initial thoughts were that I couldn't crack it open and install the extra RAM myself.. am i mistaken?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL ANSWERS.

Edit: I placed in the correct model #. it's the 2.40 Ghz intel core duo NOT the 2.26Ghz intel core duo, not sure if that makes a difference.. PS why are there no reviews for the former, just the latter. Is the 2.26Ghz just more popular?? thanks

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
1. No, you can install Hard drives and RAM. The warrenty will not be voided if you install hard drives or RAM.

2. Not sure about this one...

3. Yes, you can crack them open and install RAM, although it can prove a bit tricky (as the unibodies are hard ta get into).

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
1) Will my warranty be void if I open the Mac and install the extra RAM? (salesman said no, but he is a salesman) (PS I plan to get Applecare, BUT only on the 12th month when the 1st year warranty will run out soon, as mentioned on this site)

No, it won't void your warranty. Apple likes to blame problems on 3rd party RAM, however, so be sure to take out the RAM if you need to have Apple check on your MacBook.

2) This is my first Mac - so do I buy RAM specific to MAC - any cheap/good deals you guys know of specific to this model??

No, you don't need to buy RAM specifically for Macs. It can take the same RAM as PCs can.

3) This particular model is supposedly a UNIBODY Mac, so my initial thoughts were that I couldn't crack it open and install the extra RAM myself.. am i mistaken?

It's extraordinarily easy to open up the MacBook. Take a look. Also, that link has a "relevant parts" list that will show you the RAM that you'll need.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Installing your own RAM does not void the warranty.

Mac RAM is the same as PC RAM — it doesn't matter where you get it, as long as it’s the right type. Crucial.com is a great place to get it.

The bottom of your MacBook can be removed, giving you access to all the goodies (RAM, hard drive, etc.).

Note that installing RAM is actually very easy. In fact, Apple even provides instructions in the manual that comes with your MacBook!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Go ahead and put it in yourself. Its not too hard, just gotta jam in into the right slot;) Although its harder than it used to be to install RAM, mainly because you have to take the whole bottom cover off my un-screwing screws and all that... GOod luck!:D

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Just follow the OWC video tutorial. Pretty easy and they even include
the tools now with a ram purchase these days I think.

I did it and switched to a larger 7200 HD...easy.

lrittz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
2. OWC. Your Mac supports 8GB as well so you might want to consider that

Thanks Hh!! But when I look at my specs for the MC516LL/A it says RAM expandable only to 4GB (per JR and Mirocenter site).. am i missing something??

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks Hh!! But when I look at my specs for the MC516LL/A it says RAM expandable only to 4GB (per JR and Mirocenter site).. am i missing something??

You aren't, but JR and Microcenter are. It can officially take only 4GB but OWC and several members in here have tested 8GB and it works fine, Apple is just trying to make some difference between MB and MBP.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_White

As you see there, OWC says 8GB has been tested and it works

rk1991

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
if i am not mistaken your macbook comes with 2x1gb rams so adding a 2gb ram would make it 3gb not 4gb.

GidbinN

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2009
Northrend
Agree with #11

OP, You know that there are only 2 ram slots in the MacBook right?

So you can't technically ADD extra ram into it, but change the ram card if you want to extend your ram.

Which means, in your case, swap 2x1GB with 2x2GB.

I think some tutorial video might help you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRLPwfMCEiM

lrittz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
ahh thanks for the heads up guys... who the hell still uses 1GB ram, what a waste of $$$ to throw both out and have to replace, otherwise i would've just stuck in another 2GB ram in there..

damn i wish 4gb ram were cheaper.. 2 at $315 makes my microcenter deal not so slick after upgrading.. maybe ill wait a while til prices drop, but thanks nevertheless

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
ahh thanks for the heads up guys... who the hell still uses 1GB ram, what a waste of $$$ to throw both out and have to replace, otherwise i would've just stuck in another 2GB ram in there..

damn i wish 4gb ram were cheaper.. 2 at $315 makes my microcenter deal not so slick after upgrading.. maybe ill wait a while til prices drop, but thanks nevertheless

Many people use 1GB of RAM. Lol you don't need 2GB+ to run a Mac ya know. I know tons of people that use 1GB intel macs.

rk1991

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009

I dont think the price will drop much mainly because the ram used in the macbook is the same ram used in the macbook pros and they just upgraded the macbook pro.
And 4gb (2x2gb) is only about $125.
I cant spend that money right after spending $800 on the macbook so i decided to buy a 2gb for about $50 to make my macbook 3gb and plan on upgrading the other 1gb stick later this year or next year.

lrittz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Many people use 1GB of RAM. Lol you don't need 2GB+ to run a Mac ya know. I know tons of people that use 1GB intel macs.

maybe for browsing/MS Office/photoshop/adobe..

but i planned on using it for my niche law programs... of which i notice a HUGE difference in 2GB (slower) vs 4GB with my current laptop (w/ similar enough specs)..

i hear ya RK, costs do add up..

i'm thinking of purchasing 1 4GB for now, and once i save up purchase the other 4GB down the line (if even needed based on performance)

anything wrong with running a 4GB only on one slot, leaving the other slot empty.. or is it more efficient if both slots are used? or if i run 2 odd number ram (ie a 1GB + a 4GB)? newbie Q's i know but thanks mucho again for everything so far.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
maybe for photoshop/adobe..

...What? Maybe if you want Photoshop to run at a crawl... I use Photoshop on my MacBook Pro with 6GB of RAM and it still has a great deal of page outs when editing photos.

anything wrong with running a 4GB only on one slot, leaving the other slot empty.. or is it more efficient if both slots are used? or if i run 2 odd number ram (ie a 1GB + a 4GB)? newbie Q's i know but thanks mucho again for everything so far.

There's nothing wrong with having one empty. But I'd recommend you use the 1GB stick as well, you won't see a performance hit from it if that's what you were thinking of.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
maybe for browsing/MS Office/photoshop/adobe..

but i planned on using it for my niche law programs... of which i notice a HUGE difference in 2GB (slower) vs 4GB with my current laptop (w/ similar enough specs)..

i hear ya RK, costs do add up..

i'm thinking of purchasing 1 4GB for now, and once i save up purchase the other 4GB down the line (if even needed based on performance)

I seriously doubt your law programs will eat more than 4 gigs of ram dude. Especially under OSX. Unless your running Photoshop, Adobe, or Final Cut, then 4 gigs would be fine.

4 gigs (2x2) would only cost around 100$, and you can also spend that extra 200 you would have spent on an SSD. Think about the 80gb Intel drive that I have. Your system will start almost instantly and those "heavy" law programs will load ultra quick. Trust me, 4 gigs is plenty. For 100$, why not get it. Then you can sell the memory thats in your computer and get a nice discount on the ram you bought. I put mine up on eBay and sold my 2 gigs of ram (2x1) for like 20 bucks. My 4 gb upgrade only ended costing me like 80 dollars.

Hows that?

You don't need 8 gigs of ram dude. Database programs like the law software you use would most benefit from 4 gigs of ram and an SSD drive. For real..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.