Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaxusername

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I have a macbook 2.1ghz with OSX 10.5.8 running with 4gb of 667mhz DDR2

Recently I have been getting spinning beach balls of death on a constant biases. They come when I try to open web pages such as google, youtube, espn.com... ANYTHING actually. They come when I try to open applications, they seem to come when I try to do almost anything. I cannot force quit when they come. I have tried waiting for them to go away, sometimes up to an hour and nothing happens. They have come when I try to open utilities to try to figure out what is wrong. They come in safe mode.

I have run disk permissions like someone suggested to you, and that has done nothing.

I made another account for the computer, and that still receives the same amount of beach balls.

I tried updating software. Nothing.

I tried freeing up hard drive space (over 60 gigs of the 120 hard drive)

I reinstalled the OS, nothing.

I switched the ram out with the ram that came with the computer, and I still get the beach balls.

I ran Onyx, and it said the drives are fine.

Yesterday out of sheer desperation I reformatted the whole thing. (former PC user) At first it looked ok, but then I began to update software and it locked up. Also, now when I open web pages I get a beach ball that SOMETIMES goes away after 5 minutes. Usually it just spins and spins mocking my existence.

What else can I try? What else can I do? I live in a place that makes it VERY VERY difficult to take to a mac mechanic. (South Korea)

I don't want to have to buy a POS PC netbook. Please advise.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Open the activity monitor and check what is going on, what process is creating the issue.

When you started seen this?
What changed on that time frame?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.