PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook user- Potential firewall question

margotspera
May 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
I just purchased a powerbook and I loaded up limewire...but the program won't connect. I have the internet running just fine. Could this be a firewall issue? If so, how stupid is it to try and disable the firewall? Any other suggestions as to why this isn't working?

Thanks for the help, I have LOTS to learn about my new (well, refurbed) beautiful computer!

SuperJudge
May 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
What version of OS X are you using? You can find this by clicking on the apple menu in the upper left hand corner and then choosing "About This Mac."

margotspera
May 24, 2010, 09:20 PM
thanks for responding-

I am running OS X 10.5.8

kbfr08
May 24, 2010, 09:54 PM
OS X 10.5.8 has a built in firewall. You can access its settings somewhere in the control panel.

By the way, sign up for usenet and use unison. It's much better, much safer, and much faster than limewire. Most ISPs include a subscription to usenet for free. If you like it, sign up for a pay provider. I use astraweb, it's $11/mo for unlimited download, and unlimited speed.

SuperJudge
May 25, 2010, 07:18 AM
As kbfr08 said, you can access the firewall settings in the Security preference pane. I'd recommend adding Limewire to the list of exempted programs. Also, I'd recommend Frostwire over Limewire as far as such things go.

zen.state
May 25, 2010, 08:38 AM
People still use limewire? Is it 2001?

If you want to put the worst apps in history on your new/used laptop then you're off to a good start with limewire. Ever hear of bit torrent?

margotspera
May 25, 2010, 10:58 AM
Thank you all for your replies-

A bit torrent would be a program like Poisened? I downloaded that initially after some research- understanding how it works seemed much better than limewire. But I had the same problem with it...it wouldn't "connect" So I downloaded limewire just to try.

How much risk is my computer at if I disable the firewall? Is it most likely that my problem is due to the firewall?

I plan on only downloading music. Thanks!

kbfr08
May 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
Thank you all for your replies-

A bit torrent would be a program like Poisened? I downloaded that initially after some research- understanding how it works seemed much better than limewire. But I had the same problem with it...it wouldn't "connect" So I downloaded limewire just to try.

How much risk is my computer at if I disable the firewall? Is it most likely that my problem is due to the firewall?

I plan on only downloading music. Thanks!
I wouldn't disable the firewall, don't take a chance. If the problem still exists after exempting limewire, you'll need to open ports in your router.

By the way, if you're downloading illegally (although I'm sure you're not ;) ) you should try to avoid peer to peer apps. The RIAA and anti-piracy outfits can track you easily with decoy files. Bittorent gives away your IP address when it connected to the internet. I can get a whole list of seeders' IPs from my bt app.

max••
May 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't disable the firewall, don't take a chance. If the problem still exists after exempting limewire, you'll need to open ports in your router.

By the way, if you're downloading illegally (although I'm sure you're not ;) ) you should try to avoid peer to peer apps. The RIAA and anti-piracy outfits can track you easily with decoy files. Bittorent gives away your IP address when it connected to the internet. I can get a whole list of seeders' IPs from my bt app.

i like looking at who is downloading files on my bt app (yes i have been watching you kbfr08:D)