Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theappmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I received as a gift for my bday an Apple TV.

What I suppose I will do with it is to rent movies, to stream stuff from my mac to my tv wireless.... and maybe I will watch some youtube video too...

What do you do with your Apple TV? Someone told me that "is a device to stream pirate movies to your tv!!" I don't like to illegaly watch movies... Apple Tv is just that for you?

eddtr1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
I used to have a cracked appl tv with xbmc - however your missing the point of apple tv if ya do that in my opinion cause the interface of the ATV is what makes it.

I have a lovely unhacked ATV downstairs - I am currentlly ripping everything i have to ATV format and spending hours making sure all the metadata works. Once that is done it will be super.

I use my ATV for watching films but mainly TV shows - listneing to the radio when i is cleaning the house :-( and the odd podcast! o and also music - infact i use it for everything - I love Itunes and all it can do and I love that ATV is just Itunes on the TV - its big, clever and steve jobs can have my kidney!

Theappmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I used to have a cracked appl tv with xbmc - however your missing the point of apple tv if ya do that in my opinion cause the interface of the ATV is what makes it.

I have a lovely unhacked ATV downstairs - I am currentlly ripping everything i have to ATV format and spending hours making sure all the metadata works. Once that is done it will be super.

I use my ATV for watching films but mainly TV shows - listneing to the radio when i is cleaning the house :-( and the odd podcast! o and also music - infact i use it for everything - I love Itunes and all it can do and I love that ATV is just Itunes on the TV - its big, clever and steve jobs can have my kidney!

Thanks a lot Eddtr!

I'm watching right now the atvflash screencast, and it looks pretty interesting... maybe I can get rid of any options, but the couch surfer plugin looks stunning! To surf the web from your couch is something amazing!

I don't know why but I have the feeling that the wwdc "center of the app universe" will include some Apple Tv news... mmm ;)

EvilMatty

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Main use for me is to view my photo collection and listen to my music and the internet radio stations.

Also use it to watch (my) ripped DVDs and TV shows bough through the iTunes Store.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I have converted almost all of my DVD collection to ATV format and now have almost 300 movies at the click of a button... It's easy to underestimate how amazingly cool and useful it is to have everything u own available after a few button clicks!! I have 2 young children that change their mind every 5 mins so they love it! My partner loves it because she can play all her iTunes music via our home theatre system speakers.. Everyones a winner!
For films I mostly encode from DVD I don't buy from iTunes much as I want HD films and u can't buy them yet from the UK store. I do buy a lot of tv shows though as they are HD and it's handy to buy a series pass and just watch them when u have the time.
My whole family uses the ATV heavily, one of the best apple purchases I've ever made (and saying a lot as I love my MacBook and my iPhone! Lol).
It would be damn near perfect if they added some online streaming services like BBC iplayer but u can always hack it to get them. I did hack mine a while back but only to put an external 1TB drive in... :) I hope appl stick with it as it's a great device :) enjoy yours... I'm certain you will :)

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
I have 2 apple TVs one native in the living room hooked to my 52in Tosh. It is mirroring my entire iTunes library so anyone can watch anything they want that we have in digital format.

the second one is running ATVFlash and currently is used only in my bedroom hooked up to my sony 46" with all seasons of Seinfeld on it for my nightly watch before bed.

last night, while watching a few Seinfeld episodes, my wife told me about a funny commercial she saw for Jenny craig that featured Jason Alexander (George from Seinfeld), so i backed out of the epsiode we were watching, jumped into youtube and pulled up and watched the commercial, 30 seconds later i was right back watching Seinfeld again! you cant beat that!

Do i have an AppleTV wish list? sure, I want DVR functionality with interactive guide that "just works" when i plug it into my cable and i want a slot load bluray player added to it as well...but neither is a deal breaker for me because i have both on other devices. Convergence would be nice tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.