Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113510-intel_ce4100.jpg

Partial schematic of Intel's CE4100 Atom platform using PowerVR SGX535 graphics processor
Fortune notes that Intel's forthcoming Google TV hardware platform to be found in Sony TVs and Blu-ray players and in a standalone set-top box from Logitech utilizes the same PowerVR SGX535 graphics processor used in the iPad.
GoogleTV is manufactured by Logitech and Sony and contains a System on Chip (SoC) designed by Intel. The iPad's SoC is an ARM design made by Apple (though manufacturing is outsourced to Samsung). However, both of these SoCs use a PowerVR graphics processor from a small UK-based company called Imagination.
The same graphics processor is also used in the iPhone 3GS and third-generation iPod touch.

Apple and Intel are both significant investors in Imagination Technologies, the company behind the PowerVR series of graphics processors, so it is not entirely surprising that both companies are tapping Imagination for their products.

Rumors and speculation, backed in part by a job posting earlier this year, have suggested that Apple is considering extending the iPhone OS to new platforms, possibly including the Apple TV. Hardware similarities between Google's television offering and Apple's mobile devices further reinforces the idea that such a transition could be relatively feasible.

Article Link: Google TV Utilizes Same SGX535 Graphics Processor Found in iPad and iPhone 3GS

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
IOS on Apple TV would Rock!

All they need to do is work out some interface requirements!

Very Cool!!!

Yeah, using a common graphics processor in a production unit. Apple really pioneered that one :rolleyes:

No the Atom uses the same graphics sub system as the Atom. Its not the same processor.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I wonder how many of yall that bashed Google will be watching it on your device? Yea, shut your mouth..

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
I hear the Google TV also uses electricity just like the Apple TV, how dare Google copy Apple!

I think he was talking more about the entire concept of the unit.

Google is obviously aiming to move into every market apple occupies.

I love how google has this reputation of being the good guy. Like google is doing this out of the kindness of their hearts and stands to profit nothing.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
He must be joking :)

Yeah, using a common graphics processor in a production unit. Apple really pioneered that one :rolleyes:

I have to believe that troop321 was just being sarcastic in his post given Google's many recent "me too" offerings. Seriously though, I still don't
have much use for all the garbage internet videos on my television.

Anybody with ATVFlash find a serious daily use for this? I was considering
Netflix for quality streaming by subscription, but even their selection is
meager. Only use I can think of is watching old TV shows that I forgot to DVR or a series I heard about after it aired, but even Hulu is starting to limit how many episodes you can go back.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

apttap said:
I hear the Google TV also uses electricity just like the Apple TV, how dare Google copy Apple!

I love how google has this reputation of being the good guy. Like google is doing this out of the kindness of their hearts and stands to profit nothing.

Why would anyone think that about Google's motives?if it's a viable market - which seems to be the case - then why wouldn't Google move into it? It's not like Apple pioneered it, and their solution isn't particularly impressive either.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007

Google has, and always will be, about the web. The more people on the web, the more money they make. You have to look at all they're doing in this context. If Google could put your toaster on the web they would but right now TV, phones, tablets and other devices of the kind seem to be where it's at.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007

...Now I'm gonna pretend that everybody thinks that Google is a charity so I can utterly destroy that argument I just made up.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Dude it is not the chips but the driver and the API you get the developer base to use. This is how Microsoft made its fortune with an API-roulette. Google is shotgunning their OS around so many will write apps for it increasing its value.

If the hardware is nanotech bubblegum, the developer base will not be writing to the boson configuration directly. Who cares what hardware is!

scottparker999

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
It suprises me how the same chip inside my 3Gs can be used to provide 1080 video. What do you think drove google to use this chip? Power consumption or size?

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Why is Google TV getting so much press? Its not like its EVER going to be found in normal priced TV's, its going to be limited to the most ridiculously priced feature rich top end TV's that less than 5% of TV buyers can afford.

They wont even put in a decent menu system on the regular TV's, it will be a cold day in hell when they get something like Google TV. This would be newsworthy if it ends up in affordable TVs but we all know thats not how the electronics industry works, its just another stupid luxury like Netflix enabled TVs that people will forget about it once they realize that only a couple 240hz 3D LED tvs have it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Why is Google TV getting so much press? Its not like its EVER going to be found in normal priced TV's, its going to be limited to the most ridiculously priced feature rich top end TV's that less than 5% of TV buyers can afford.

They wont even put in a decent menu system on the regular TV's, it will be a cold day in hell when they get something like Google TV.

Is this sarcasm? Tough time telling being on the internet and all. I was thinking the exact opposite. It will be in all the lower priced tv's.

emulator

macrumors 6502a
Not necessarily, most TVs with DVRs were not that much more expensive than their regular counterparts. Anyhow, a mediaplayer without a Sigma chip is a 100% failure.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

They wont even put in a decent menu system on the regular TV's, it will be a cold day in hell when they get something like Google TV.

Is this sarcasm? Tough time telling being on the internet and all. I was thinking the exact opposite. It will be in all the lower priced tv's.

This is one thing that has kept me from buying one of those tv's that have apps built-in. It's a long term thing. What happens when some of these app companies get bought out or just go away ?. The app becomes useless.

Apps built into TV's won't be a mainstream thing until the biggest,longest lasting apps are there for the long haul.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Why would anyone think that about Google's motives?if it's a viable market - which seems to be the case - then why wouldn't Google move into it? It's not like Apple pioneered it, and their solution isn't particularly impressive either.

I agree. It's not Google copying, it's more like following the where it thinks the money is. This goes for any company and any market. Apple (and other companies) have shown that there's money in mobility and media. Companies are just following the money ... if Apple wasn't profitable, I'm sure companies wouldn't follow.

P.

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Apple, along with Intel, own a rather large stake in Imagination Technologies who make the PowerVR chip :D

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006

Why on earth would you think that? When have television companies ever put advanced features in low end sets? Theres no way something like Google TV will end up in the "low to medium" TV's that almost everyone buys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.