PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Launches Major Wi-Fi Hotspot in New York City's Times Square

MacRumors
May 25, 2010, 11:14 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/05/25/atandt-launches-major-wi-fi-hotspot-in-new-york-citys-times-square/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/05/25/121226-iphone_att_wifi.jpg

AT&T today announced (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30838) that it is rolling out a large new Wi-Fi hotspot in New York City's busy Times Square, offering users of the company's congested cellular networks a new option for routing traffic in the area.AT&T today announced the launch of an AT&T Wi-Fi "hotzone" in New York City's bustling Times Square, providing coverage for many AT&T customers visiting and residing in New York who use Wi-Fi enabled smartphones, laptops, netbooks and other devices. The new Wi-Fi coverage zone is a pilot deployment to explore the use of Wi-Fi to provide an additional mobile broadband option in areas with consistently high 3G traffic and mobile data use.The press release notes that coverage is generally available in the north central portion of Times Square, near 7th Avenue between West 45th and West 47th Streets.

Access to the Wi-Fi hotspot is available free of charge to nearly 32 million AT&T customers with qualifying phone, laptop, or high-speed Internet plans.With this pilot AT&T Wi-Fi hotzone, we're examining new ways to combine our Wi-Fi and 3G networks to help ensure that AT&T customers in Times Square always have a fast mobile broadband connection to do what matters most to them. It's another example of how AT&T is exploring the ideal blend of technologies to maximize the mobile experience for our customers in New York City.AT&T has been making major investments (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/09/atandt-addressing-network-performance-in-manhattan-and-san-francisco-high-bandwidth-users/) in its network infrastructure, particularly in Manhattan and San Francisco where high demand has made it difficult for the carrier to keep up. Recent studies have shown that AT&T customers have been seeing generally improved data performance (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/23/atandt-tops-3g-wireless-performance-study/) as a result of the company's efforts, but that voice performance (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/05/05/atandt-customers-continuing-to-experience-excessive-dropped-calls/) continues to trail that of competing carriers.

Article Link: AT&T Launches Major Wi-Fi Hotspot in New York City's Times Square (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/05/25/atandt-launches-major-wi-fi-hotspot-in-new-york-citys-times-square/)

funnyent
May 25, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hopefully the wifi will be fast and not have some log in thing you have to use every time you get near the area.

iPhone3Gusr
May 25, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hopefully the wifi will be fast and not have some log in thing you have to use every time you get near the area.

agreed. those are a pain to deal with

Maverick1337
May 25, 2010, 12:01 PM
Stupid question:

Can I only use this free Wi-Fi on my iPhone or can I use it on my laptop as well (being an AT&T customer)?

iPhone3Gusr
May 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
Stupid question:

Can I only use this free Wi-Fi on my iPhone or can I use it on my laptop as well (being an AT&T customer)?

from what i have heard and seen at least in my area is any wireless device can connect. so yes you can use your laptop

douglaswilliams
May 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
I wonder what the star after the Starbucks means?

Maybe it means only select locations based on franchise owner discretion. I'll go look it up in the original...

douglaswilliams
May 25, 2010, 12:22 PM

Maybe it means only select locations based on franchise owner discretion. I'll go look it up in the original...

The article they linked to doesn't even have that logo on the page, nor does it have the word "Starbucks." I know the Starbucks in my area are not free to AT&T customers.

Why the heck are you putting that logo on the story MacRumors? It has nothing to do with it.

spillproof
May 25, 2010, 12:44 PM
The article they linked to doesn't even have that logo on the page, nor does it have the word "Starbucks." I know the Starbucks in my area are not free to AT&T customers.

Why the heck are you putting that logo on the story MacRumors? It has nothing to do with it.

It is actually an image from the AT&T wifi page (http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949). It is the second image of three in that box thing.

The * means= "Wi-Fi at Starbucks available at U.S. company-operated Starbucks locations equipped with a hotspot."

phineas
May 25, 2010, 12:57 PM
Our 3G network is not even close to what our advertisements :eek:are saying so lets just do a wifi thingy rite before the NEW iPhone is released :D

schwell
May 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
Our 3G network is not even close to what our advertisements :eek:are saying so lets just do a wifi thingy rite before the NEW iPhone is released :D

Not surprised...They provide this service at no additional cost and people complain or make cynical remarks anyway.

goobot
May 25, 2010, 01:51 PM

ok then dont use the wifi. o and new york is the only place with a prob cause of traffic. im pretty sure new york isnt the only place people live.

Rocketman
May 25, 2010, 01:52 PM
You know how to solve voice connect issues? Turn it off.

Use VoIP. Allow VoIP. Make it the default option.

Rocketman

To AT&T:

http://xirrus.com/

For every major metro area which is jammed. You are 30 days to "problem solved" at a tiny fraction of the cost of any alternative. Tell them Rocketman sent you.

cwheatley
May 25, 2010, 02:09 PM
great. now all of our terrorists will be able to check facebook before planting amateurish bombs.

iphone1105
May 25, 2010, 02:12 PM
great. now all of our terrorists will be able to check facebook before planting amateurish bombs.

bad joke

derek1984
May 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
This is just more proof that the new iPhone will not work with 3G iChat.

JediZenMaster
May 25, 2010, 02:37 PM
Well technically the free Wi-Fi on iPhone's is old news. Because they have offered this for a long time. The only new part is the Wi-Fi hotspot in times square.

SockRolid
May 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
Wow. People will have their accounts hacked big-time if they do sensitive transactions in public. Especially if they just log in from browsers.

NikeTalk
May 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
Makes you wonder more about why we're paying $30 for a data plan.

coasterswim
May 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
^ It's so you can have access to hot spots like this one.

zephead
May 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
I was in Times Square on Easter and they already had a free Times Square WiFi. Is this news just because AT&T now has their name on it? :confused:

room237
May 25, 2010, 05:42 PM
Wow. People will have their accounts hacked big-time if they do sensitive transactions in public. Especially if they just log in from browsers.

It's a risk people take, but this is nothing new. It's not the first WiFi hotspot.

Rocketman
May 25, 2010, 09:12 PM
When wifi came out the open hacker community was suggesting Pringle's can antennas to provide free wifi within 300 feet of each and every broadband connection on the basis that if everyone did it nobody could be enforced against for sharing their connection.

Maybe it is time to amend the ISP TOS to simply allow free wifi sharing.

It will slightly harm each connection but overall help us globally.

If they don't edit the TOS, a Pringle's can wifi antenna costs about $10 in parts and has no way to be enforced against. Either omnidirectional or directional are very easy indeed.

Rocketman

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=how+to+make+a+pringles+wifi+antenna&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&oq=pringles+wifi+antenna&gs_rfai=&fp=e2c073e033f0cee8

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

iphones4evry1
May 25, 2010, 09:52 PM
Any chance AT&T will be installing one of these near the Weavers' red barn in the unincorporated part of Cornfield, Iowa any time soon? :D ;)

(As soon as the gravel road turns into a dirt road, it's about half a mile past the wooden water tower)

Fafafoooey
May 26, 2010, 04:46 AM
If At&t would wake up and enable UMA like tmo does, that would help mitigate congestion on their cellular network as well.

ddarko
May 27, 2010, 12:00 AM
The Times Square wi-fi is useless. I was talking on my phone on the M104 bus this morning right at 48th St and 7th Ave when BAM! Call failed. Unbelievable that after THREE YEARS and counting, AT&T still can't get a stable cell reception in a 8-block radius. What a joke.

rdowns
May 27, 2010, 09:39 AM
The Times Square wi-fi is useless. I was talking on my phone on the M104 bus this morning right at 48th St and 7th Ave when BAM! Call failed. Unbelievable that after THREE YEARS and counting, AT&T still can't get a stable cell reception in a 8-block radius. What a joke.

Anything that shuts up rude phone users in public is a good thing. Just sayin'.

ddarko
May 27, 2010, 11:56 AM
Anything that shuts up rude phone users in public is a good thing. Just sayin'.

Is the same tool available on internet forums?

Your insulting post is unbelievable. You have no idea if I was talking loudly, no idea AT ALL of the circumstances, yet you feel free to call someone else "rude" and make assumptions about people, behavior, and details you have no knowledge of? Not only is your post rude, it's snide, condescending and ignorant. Sheesh, is your dog not around this morning for you to kick around?

Just sayin'.

rdowns
May 27, 2010, 12:51 PM

Your insulting post is unbelievable. You have no idea if I was talking loudly, no idea AT ALL of the circumstances, yet you feel free to call someone else "rude" and make assumptions about people, behavior, and details you have no knowledge of? Not only is your post rude, it's snide, condescending and ignorant. Sheesh, is your dog not around this morning for you to kick around?

Just sayin'.

Apparently I hit a nerve. You realized you're one of those annoying people who talk on their cell phones in enclosed public spaces and your faux rage is kind of funny. Do you use yours in the john at work?

And my dog died the other day so thanks for making me cry.

JNB
May 27, 2010, 02:53 PM

Just sayin'.

Rude (http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/rude)
Snide (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snide)
Condescending (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/condescending)
Ignorant (http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/ignorant)

Hmm, 0 for 4. Sorry, try again.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

ddarko
May 27, 2010, 02:57 PM
Apparently I hit a nerve. You realized you're one of those annoying people who talk on their cell phones in enclosed public spaces and your faux rage is kind of funny. Do you use yours in the john at work?

And my dog died the other day so thanks for making me cry.

Since you're the one who posted a snide remark that is completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread, the sensitive nerve is yours. Given your bathroom remark, it's clear you have a chip on your shoulder about inappropriate cellphone use and you go out of your way to shoot off snide remarks at anyone who you perceive breaches your code of conduct, no matter how little you actually know about the situation. I have zero patience for self-appointed nannies who scold and wag their fingers at others, especially when it's borne out of a complete ignorance of the circumstances. The bus had four people on it, including myself and the driver. Everyone was spaced far apart from each other and no one was disturbed by anyone else. But hey, I wouldn't want facts and details to get in the way of you making assumptions and leaping to conclusions about situations and people you have no knowledge of.

yg17
May 27, 2010, 02:59 PM

Sounds like AT&T was doing everybody else on the bus a favor. Good for them.

.Andy
May 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
Since you're the one who posted a snide remark that is completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread, the sensitive nerve is yours.
It's a reversal :D!

JNB
May 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
vBulletin System Thread Audit... ... ... ...

Please Stand By... ... ... ...

Righteous indignation: Check
Moral outrage: Check
ex post facto justification: Check
Overweening sense of entitlement: Check

OK, this thread meets the minimum requirements for continuing thin-skinned argumentativeness. Please continue…

Surely
May 27, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hey, where did the witty part about rdowns' dog being better off dead go:(

-aggie-
May 27, 2010, 03:41 PM
When is someone going to start a collection to get rdowns a new dog?

spillproof
May 27, 2010, 03:51 PM
ddarko: I don't care that you were talking on a bus. As long as you weren't yelling/talking loudly.

Rest of y'all: Welcome to planet Earth, have you met the Humans? There is no law or rule against talking on a bus. Not everyone follows the apparent "social norms" that you have. If you don't like it, tough luck. I'm sure you do things other people don't like.

JNB
May 27, 2010, 05:07 PM
ddarko: I don't care that you were talking on a bus. As long as you weren't yelling/talking loudly.

Rest of y'all: Welcome to planet Earth, have you met the Humans? There is no law or rule against talking on a bus. Not everyone follows the apparent "social norms" that you have. If you don't like it, tough luck. I'm sure you do things other people don't like.

I'm guessing you're unfamiliar with the concept of "Social Compact".

GoCubsGo
May 27, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have to go to the bathroom.

rdowns
May 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
Since you're the one who posted a snide remark that is completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread, the sensitive nerve is yours. Given your bathroom remark, it's clear you have a chip on your shoulder about inappropriate cellphone use and you go out of your way to shoot off snide remarks at anyone who you perceive breaches your code of conduct, no matter how little you actually know about the situation. I have zero patience for self-appointed nannies who scold and wag their fingers at others, especially when it's borne out of a complete ignorance of the circumstances. The bus had four people on it, including myself and the driver. Everyone was spaced far apart from each other and no one was disturbed by anyone else. But hey, I wouldn't want facts and details to get in the way of you making assumptions and leaping to conclusions about situations and people you have no knowledge of.

Such anger. What would one expect from a New Yorker though?

And 3 passengers on a NYC bus? in Times Square? Bwahhhhh

stridemat
May 27, 2010, 05:39 PM
I have zero patience for self-appointed nannies who scold and wag their fingers at others, especially when it's borne out of a complete ignorance of the circumstances.

Just a thought, but is this not exactly what you are doing?

ddarko
May 27, 2010, 11:14 PM
Such anger. What would one expect from a New Yorker though?

And 3 passengers on a NYC bus? in Times Square? Bwahhhhh

A comment like yours - which as I pointed out before, was completely off-topic to this thread - deserves a forceful response. You waltz into this thread that has no relevance to you, read a post that wasn't directed at you and take a potshot at me because you assumed - wrongly - the worst. When I punch back, you're shocked, shocked! at the response. Your faux surprise and insincerity isn't going to win you any Oscars. And how completely in character of you to stereotype a city of 7 million individuals.

FYI, because of the traffic, empty buses are a common sight because buses in NYC often bunch up so that a trailing bus ends up largely empty as the lead bus picks up all the riders. My bus emptied out at the preceding stop on 50th and 7th Ave because that stop is centrally located to the many office buildings nearby, where most riders at that hour are headed. But you wouldn't know any of this since you weren't there, you don't know the city or the bus line and couldn't be bothered to ask. It's easy and lazy for you criticize people for what you imagine their behavior to be than to ask what happened.

-aggie-
May 28, 2010, 07:23 AM
A comment like yours - which as I pointed out before, was completely off-topic to this thread - deserves a forceful response. You waltz into this thread that has no relevance to you, read a post that wasn't directed at you and take a potshot at me because you assumed - wrongly - the worst. When I punch back, you're shocked, shocked! at the response. Your faux surprise and insincerity isn't going to win you any Oscars. And how completely in character of you to stereotype a city of 7 million individuals.

FYI, because of the traffic, empty buses are a common sight because buses in NYC often bunch up so that a trailing bus ends up largely empty as the lead bus picks up all the riders. My bus emptied out at the preceding stop on 50th and 7th Ave because that stop is centrally located to the many office buildings nearby, where most riders at that hour are headed. But you wouldn't know any of this since you weren't there, you don't know the city or the bus line and couldn't be bothered to ask. It's easy and lazy for you criticize people for what you imagine their behavior to be than to ask what happened.

You assume that rdowns doesn't live in or know NYC.

ddarko
May 28, 2010, 09:25 AM
You assume that rdowns doesn't live in or know NYC.

Not really. He doesn't display any familiarity with how NYC works and besides, his lame insult about New Yorkers pretty clearly marks him as not from the city. Folks who throw snide insults like that - "what would you expect from an American?" or "what would expect from the French?" - aren't typically from the place they're insulting.

Surely
May 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
That's preposterous. I say "What would you expect from an American?" all the time, and I married one and live here.

citi
May 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
wow. this thread went to *****.

Oh and I was in a starbucks with my iPad yesterday and it never asked me to login.

rdowns
May 28, 2010, 03:16 PM

Blame the New Yorker.

GoCubsGo
May 28, 2010, 03:19 PM
That's preposterous. I say "What would you expect from an American?" all the time, and I married one and live here.
Exactly. I crack jokes about people from Orange County CA all of the time.

Oh and I was in a starbucks with my iPad yesterday and it never asked me to login.:confused: Ok.

Blame the New Yorker.

ROFL awesome. So awesome.

Surely
May 28, 2010, 03:23 PM
Blame the New Yorker.

Which one?:p

citi
May 28, 2010, 03:31 PM
:confused: Ok.

If you had read the whole thread, my answer was in response to this statement.

GoCubsGo
May 28, 2010, 03:35 PM
If you had read the whole thread, my answer was in response to this statement.

Right but you're in CA, this is about NY. And I have read the whole thread TYVM.

citi
May 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
Right but you're in CA, this is about NY. And I have read the whole thread TYVM.

ugh...we were talking about ATT wi-fi service which is also in CA. Read the whole thread closer next time.

Blorzoga
May 28, 2010, 07:36 PM
Stupid question:

It's only free to iPhone and other at&t customers on their phones. Do you really think AT&T would invest in a wifi hotspot for non customers? Have you ever gone into a star bucks and checked your iPhone? It automatically switches to wifi in star bucks. Just like it will in the times sq hotspot.

-aggie-
May 29, 2010, 01:03 AM
Which one?:p

I’m not telling. :)

This is one of the funniest threads we’ve had in a while, and it wasn’t even supposed to be.

@citi: I thought we were talking about NYC, specifically Times Square (see Thread Title).

spillproof
May 29, 2010, 02:40 AM
I'm guessing you're unfamiliar with the concept of "Social Compact".

I am familiar with the social compact/contract theory. But it still boils down to society's social norms. And yes, talking on a cellular device in a quiet building or enclosed space with other people is "frowned" upon by a large portion of society, but I'm part of the group that does not care if someone is talking on the phone as long as they aren't loud. I like to eavesdrop.

e-coli
May 29, 2010, 10:42 AM
Data service in midtown is virtually unusable. Nice start, but I don't think covering 4 blocks with wifi is helping much.

The financial district and TriBeCa are equally as bad. And the service in Brooklyn gets worse every month. AT&T just can't keep up with the pace of Apple's growth here.

...a city of 7 million individuals...

Actually it's closer to 9 million. ;)

spscott
May 31, 2010, 08:06 AM
ddarko, as a fellow new yorker i have your back... rdowns is just one of those people, haha.

rdowns
May 31, 2010, 08:30 AM
ddarko, as a fellow new yorker i have your back... rdowns is just one of those people, haha.

Proof. Just sayin'.

Surely
May 31, 2010, 09:16 AM

What do you mean "one of those people"? Someone that eats at IHOP?

spscott
Jun 1, 2010, 12:21 AM
Not one of THOSE people. Personally, I'm a Denny's man.

But anyway, one of those people who is annoyed by things only because certain segments of society have deemed them impolite. I don't think talking quietly on your phone on the bus is at all disturbing, annoying, or abrasive. I don't think it's much different then having a quiet conversation with a friend you might be sitting next to. But some people like to make a big deal of it, give indignant looks of disbelief, and go "hmph!" She strikes me as one of those people.

It's a little disheartening that because I'm a new yorker singling out a "type of person" you automatically make it some sort of class thing... Huh?

spscott
Jun 1, 2010, 12:22 AM
When are they gonna put this in CENTRAL PARK!?

Seems like every single park in Europe has wifi... come on Ammurica.

Surely
Jun 1, 2010, 12:47 AM

But anyway, one of those people who is annoyed by things only because certain segments of society have deemed them impolite. I don't think talking quietly on your phone on the bus is at all disturbing, annoying, or abrasive. I don't think it's much different then having a quiet conversation with a friend you might be sitting next to. But some people like to make a big deal of it, give indignant looks of disbelief, and go "hmph!" She strikes me as one of those people.

It's a little disheartening that because I'm a new yorker singling out a "type of person" you automatically make it some sort of class thing... Huh?

*whoosh* but that's okay.

She does strike me as one of those people. But she's hot so it's cool.

I enjoy eating at IHOP too. Anyone else? Anyone?

spscott
Jun 1, 2010, 09:25 AM
Oh son of a betch... I try to never offend the hot girl.

ddarko you're on your own.

yg17
Jun 1, 2010, 10:42 AM
But she's hot so it's cool.

This thread is worthless without pics :D

rdowns
Jun 1, 2010, 10:49 AM

Sweetie, I think you're lying to us. Everyone knows there are no Denny's in NY.

-aggie-
Jun 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
*whoosh* but that's okay.

She does strike me as one of those people. But she's hot so it's cool.

I enjoy eating at IHOP too. Anyone else? Anyone?

Extreme whoooooosh. :) I only eat at the IHOP in NYC. It's the best.

Because one could assume rdowns is so hot from the avatar, shouldn't she be able to say whatever she wants about New Yorkers. Hot Girl Rule #1: Hot girls can say whatever they want, because no one is listening to them anyway. Just sayin'.

I wonder why she likes the NY Jets though. :confused:

Surely
Jun 1, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'd do her on a stack of Strawberry Banana Pancakes.

kdarling
Jun 1, 2010, 02:19 PM
Take note that rdowns' label is "Demi-god", not "Demi-goddess".

rdowns
Jun 1, 2010, 03:29 PM
I wonder why she likes the NY Jets though. :confused:

Two words, Dirty Sanchez.

Surely
Jun 1, 2010, 04:04 PM
Take note that rdowns' label is "Demi-god", not "Demi-goddess".

"Demi-God" is the default title once you contribute. She may have neglected to PM an admin to change it.....

rdowns
Jun 1, 2010, 04:18 PM
"Demi-God" is the default title once you contribute. She may have neglected to PM an admin to change it.....

Who would I contact to make that change?

GoCubsGo
Jun 1, 2010, 04:33 PM

Dr. Q, newbie. :p

Surely
Jun 1, 2010, 05:41 PM

Do you have a webcam? I'd be more than happy to walk you through it.....

spscott
Jun 1, 2010, 07:43 PM
Oh brother...

I'm a transplant from Maine where there are most definitely Denny's. One of our more popular spots for stabbings. Not kidding.

NikeTalk
Jun 2, 2010, 09:15 AM
*exits thread*

Boca
Jun 2, 2010, 11:32 AM
This is the beginning of total rip off of consumers. Putting a price point on data at this level is going to be trouble. What do you think?

Surely
Jun 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
This is the beginning of total rip off of consumers. Putting a price point on data at this level is going to be trouble. What do you think?

There are countless threads about that actual topic. Post in one of those threads.

You can start a thread, but you just don't know how to (go to the forum you want to post in, and in the top left there is a 'New Thread' button). But do us all a favor: don't start a new thread about that- there are already enough threads about it.

Boca
Jun 3, 2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the info. Do know how to start threads but the forum I tried iphones would not let me. Maybe my problem or sites. I also searched for threads and didn't find one. Sorry will try again.

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 5, 2010, 09:26 PM
ok then dont use the wifi. o and new york is the only place with a prob cause of traffic. im pretty sure new york isnt the only place people live.

That's what I'm starting to think. You have New York, and then you have "Those other people". How about some 3G coverage out in our area?

aromohd919
Jun 15, 2010, 12:33 PM
IPhone 4: will AT&T offer a 4g network as Sprint has done? If so will the iPhone 4 be able to access the 4g network? Would it be a software upgrade or a “New iPhone” upgrade?

Surely
Jun 15, 2010, 12:36 PM
IPhone 4: will AT&T offer a 4g network as Sprint has done?

No

If so will the iPhone 4 be able to access the 4g network?

No.

Would it be a software upgrade or a “New iPhone” upgrade?

A whole new iPhone would be required.