Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Hi guys,

here is my situation...i have a 3gs my wife just has a basic att phone.

she wants a 3gs too but our 2 year is 3/11 and both of ETF fees are 125.00 each.

I am debating getting her just an ipod touch until then since its like a year away. Even whne the new iphone comes out I can sell my 3gs and get one then maybe, pay the etf and hten sell phone and get one perhaps. So what I am wondering is this:

Woudl it even be worth getting her just an 8gig ipod touch 2g until 3/11 so she can get an iphone? I noticed that walmart is droping price of 3gs to 99 but id still have to have etf so it would come to 224.00. not worth it in my opinion.... wouldnt the 2g touch be enough for her for games etc to get her accumstoned to the feel of it so whewn 3/11 rollls around shes good.. what do you think?

Id love to be able to go into an att store and talk a salesrep into giving me some sort of deal where he wouldnt charge me etf fee if il still sticking wiht att... i asked an att CS rep about adding a new line making it an iphone, porting iwfes # over to it, then cnaceling her line sinceit was an addtl line on my master acount anyway....no go..
Thanks!

INeedAMacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
what about getting a 4g when i comes out and give her the 3gs or something, or if i havn't read that question right and thats not possibl get her a touch and an itunes gift card XD

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Yeah thought about that...but id like to sell my 3gs to put towards thte 4g for me... then she can get an iphone 2011..that was one idea... I guess im just wondering what I should do, if anything for her now....i could get her a touch, or just not do anything and make her wait..then maybe later sell the touch to put towards the 4g?

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
lol..yeah I know but I cant come up with a scenario that makes sense to buy it...thats the problem....thats why im wondering if i should just do a touch for now...

Slickgonzalez

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
Sounds to me like you need to bite the bullet and get your wife an iPhone.

Do you know how pissed my wife, your wife, or anyone else's wife would be if:

- she was begging for an iPHONE and you buy her an iPOD instead?

- she was begging for an iPHONE and you don't buy her anything???

- or last, but not least, she was begging for an iPHONE and you, being the generous and loving husband that you are, decide NOT to buy her an iPhone, but instead decide to UPGRADE your own?

Do you seriously think you are going to have sex anytime in the near future if any of those options happen?

What is my recommendation?

Save a little extra money than usual in the coming weeks. Buy her a 4G next month. You keep your 3GS.

Ladies first. You make her happy and she will make you happy, capice?

Slickgonzalez

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
P.S. eat Ramen Noodles for a month if you have to. But you need to make HER your number one priority, not YOURSELF.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
If I were you I would just get the iPhone 3GS for $99 because iPod Touches start at $199.99 so with the early termination fee thats only about $20 more

Good points everybody.... yeah since walmart is dropping prices, it (almost) makes sense to do it that way... so it would be $224 for the 3gs... so id have to add a line and change her number over to that line and then drop her line? otherwise if i drop her line and then add her again they may make her wait?

but then ill get the 4g and she'll haveto wait... but she honeslty wont care because shell have the 3gs... OR think of it this way... if she waits until 3/2011 she'll have siaved like $300 total in data plan usage just by havingthe touch now and 4g when her term is up :)

Hmmm or do I buy aused touch off craigs list for 130 LOL...

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
LOL....check this out though, what if she wants the video chat on th3 4g but she only has a 3gs and now cant break contract because the new ETF rule will apply to her line now.... plus its a surprise..either way she gets a gift :)

I still think it makes sense for both of us to wait and then just get the 4g march 2011

Slickgonzalez

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
LOL....check this out though, what if she wants the video chat on th3 4g but she only has a 3gs and now cant break contract because the new ETF rule will apply to her line now.... plus its a surprise..either way she gets a gift :)

I still think it makes sense for both of us to wait and then just get the 4g march 2011

Exactly. Don't give your wife a 3Gs. It's old technology. Give her the 4G like a real man would.

You can be the one who waits until March 2011, not her. She'll appreciate your selflessness.

Although if you're waiting til next March, you may as well wait until next June and get the 5G. So it's a never ending cycle. Just get her the latest and the greatest and she'll love u for it.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Exactly. Don't give your wife a 3Gs. It's old technology. Give her the 4G like a real man would.

You can be the one who waits until March 2011, not her. She'll appreciate your selflessness.

Although if you're waiting til next March, you may as well wait until next June and get the 5G. So it's a never ending cycle. Just get her the latest and the greatest and she'll love u for it.

iPhone - The gift that keeps giving ;)

rjenovai

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Hi guys,

here is my situation...i have a 3gs my wife just has a basic att phone.

she wants a 3gs too but our 2 year is 3/11 and both of ETF fees are 125.00 each.

I am debating getting her just an ipod touch until then since its like a year away. Even whne the new iphone comes out I can sell my 3gs and get one then maybe, pay the etf and hten sell phone and get one perhaps. So what I am wondering is this:

Woudl it even be worth getting her just an 8gig ipod touch 2g until 3/11 so she can get an iphone? I noticed that walmart is droping price of 3gs to 99 but id still have to have etf so it would come to 224.00. not worth it in my opinion.... wouldnt the 2g touch be enough for her for games etc to get her accumstoned to the feel of it so whewn 3/11 rollls around shes good.. what do you think?

Id love to be able to go into an att store and talk a salesrep into giving me some sort of deal where he wouldnt charge me etf fee if il still sticking wiht att... i asked an att CS rep about adding a new line making it an iphone, porting iwfes # over to it, then cnaceling her line sinceit was an addtl line on my master acount anyway....no go..
Thanks!

Come on, would you really get yourself the 4G and give her the ipod? get her the iphone. Happy wife = happy house. Unhappy wife = your stuff on front lawn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.