Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howiegroove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I have a small home studio that I am running my MacBook Pro with a Phillips Magnavox 50" monitor. I played around with the resolutions a couple weeks ago and I think I might have messed something up a little, although I don't know how I really did it. It's not horrendous, just annoying. When I put my display settings in mirroring, my laptops resolution changes, when it should stay the same. To make matters worse, I wasn't able to fix the issue with my display not fitting correctly on my external TV. Is there any way anyone could help me with this issue? If not, are there any businesses that would assist in a specialty issue similar to the one that I have?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I have a small home studio that I am running my MacBook Pro with a Phillips Magnavox 50" monitor. I played around with the resolutions a couple weeks ago and I think I might have messed something up a little, although I don't know how I really did it. It's not horrendous, just annoying. When I put my display settings in mirroring, my laptops resolution changes, when it should stay the same. To make matters worse, I wasn't able to fix the issue with my display not fitting correctly on my external TV. Is there any way anyone could help me with this issue? If not, are there any businesses that would assist in a specialty issue similar to the one that I have?

I used SwitchResX and the other one for hours and hours trying to make it not do that, and what it finally boiled down to, for me, was if your TV doesn't support some kind of zoom function you are hosed.

I could never get them to work, at all, with my TV. It was either a black screen or black borders.

memepo

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
I used switchresx still do. I have the same problem to combat this I go into clam shell mode.

1.Connect mac to tv.

2.Close lid on mac to put it to sleep.

3.With lid still closed plug usb into usb port.

This will awaken only the television display and will give you more resolution options and should, it did in my case, fix your problem. You can use your keyboard and track pad the same but the screen will remain turned off until you unplug the connection to your tv. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.