Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschranz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
I apologize if this is a frequent topic. Searched the first few pages and also tried the built in search but it didn't seem to be working at the moment.

I tried this briefly but with my paranoid self decided against it because I figured it seemed to be getting too warm and based on my typical using of my current old PC desktop, I tend to leave it on all night (usually because I might have been downloading something). This would change because four days a week I'd need to be bringing it with me to school but anyway.

I'm sure I should first develop a habit to be turning it off for the nights I'm not downloading anything.

But basically, I wanted to ask a few questions about peoples typical setups/precautions/energy settings they use towards preventing any heat issues. As a note my CPU was sitting at around 75C half the time when I was really only browsing the web not doing anything else.

Do you keep it plugged into the AC essentially 24/7?
Do you perhaps get it to run on the external display while it's open so the fans have a better chance to breath? (This is off the current unibody macbook, October 09 release).
Would a good laptop cooler be a wise investment for it?

Basically, if you have anything to add that would take away from my worrisome self about it operating at a hot temperature for way too long that would be great.

I guess as a last request, any opinions/preferances on using the wireless keyboard/mouse over their wired versions? Could easily still use my old mouse too I suppose.

As a note, although mentioned earlier. My macbook is the exact one mentioned in my signature. Late October 2009 model.
Thanks! And sorry for the probably incoherent rambling.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I'm sure I should first develop a habit to be turning it off for the nights I'm not downloading anything.

Not really an issue. There are people here (including myself) who never shut down their machines.

Do you keep it plugged into the AC essentially 24/7?

I have in the past, it's fine.

Do you perhaps get it to run on the external display while it's open so the fans have a better chance to breath? (This is off the current unibody macbook, October 09 release).

The fans vent out of the back of the machine. Cooling and airflow through the keyboard area is minimal.
Would a good laptop cooler be a wise investment for it?

They're fairly cheap, but pretty much a waste of money. Just prop it up on some post-it note pads and it does pretty much the same thing.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
1. No, but I suppose you can without any harm being done.

2. The computer vents the air at the back, where the screen connects to the rest of the machine at the back. Leaving it open would do nothing but gather dust on the screen.

3. Nah, you don't need to worry about that. Your computer will be fine:D

4. I personally don't like wireless mice and keyboards, because I can't be bothered dealing with the batteries and all that crap. But it does make things neater (only if you have tons of OTHER cables though).

DontMacTheGyver

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2010
My MB is turned on connected to power AC 24/7. It is closed and connected to an external monitor. Just place it on a good heat conductor... I have no temperature issues since my desk is out of glas...

Not to worry!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I agree with most of what everyone else has already said.

But I will say that it isn't a bad idea to make sure your laptop is getting good ventilation. Essentially that means keep the lid closed, and vents unobstructed. Placing the chassis on some kind of platform that gets it a couple of cm off the desk surface can't hurt. As someone else said, a couple of stacks of sticky notes might do as well as a laptop cooling stand for that, but probably wouldn't look quite as nice.

:)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
When I had an iBook I used it in clamshell mode on my desk hooked up to a 20" monitor and a external mouse & keyboard. It worked fine, and never seemed to overheat even though I used it for long periods at a time and didn't raise it with anything:D

miicah

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
If you unplug it from power once a month that will keep the battery working fine.

miicah

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
The reason apple provides for not keeping the AC power on all the time is correct, however permanent damage is hard to do to these batteries. So power cycling once a month will be enough to keep the battery working until such time as you want to use it as a proper laptop.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
unless you want the battery health to drop at about the rate of 20% each year you show drain it to 50% twice a week and drain it completely once a month.
I lost 30% of my batteries health in 1 and a 1/2 years by just leaving it plugged in most of the time. you should cycle it unless you want to end up with a battery that only holds a 5 min charge like my sisters notebook.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
unless you want the battery health to drop at about the rate of 20% each year you show drain it to 50% twice a week and drain it completely once a month.
I lost 30% of my batteries health in 1 and a 1/2 years by just leaving it plugged in most of the time. you should cycle it unless you want to end up with a battery that only holds a 5 min charge like my sisters notebook.

Or like my old iBook :rolleyes:

mjschranz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
You can, but if you do that you must calibrate it often.

Yeah, I would be unplugging it from everything four days a week and running it on battery power anyway for school so that's not really a problem here.

Now just to find some sort of mouse that will work here on OSX, as the previous one's backwards/forwards buttons aren't functioning. Logitech's support for it doesn't include OSX. Maybe there's some sort of app out there that can help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.