Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hello People!

ur friendly mac n00b here.

Well I got rid of the quicksilvers since they died. Power supplys gave out and took the motherboards, So I sold what was left on EBAY.

My G4 Ethernet was sold to a co-worked and he is quite happy.

And I got this off ebay today:

!BuHz,HwB2k~$(KGrHqMOKj8Ev(u4g6ITBL+!0u4dRQ~~_12.JPG

Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5Procs
2GB RAM (2 x 1GB PC3200U DDR SDRAM)
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-117D
Samsung HD160JJ/P 160GB SATA HDD (not apple labeled, not original to this system)
(1) Power Cord
pci106b,9 PCI Ethernet Controller

Well I didnt' read the fine print and BAZINGA! I noticed that it comes without a video card.

Sooooo

For video editing, watching hulu and youtube and netflix What do you guys recommend.

I do have a PCI GEforce at home with 512 megs for PC and I was wondering if I could flash it and if so, does anyone know of a good walkthrough?

Thanks.

Proud new owner of a used G5.

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
Well, anyone?

I found this one

APPLE MAC ATI RADEON 9000 64MB AGP VIDEO CARD

Can anyone tell me if this is a good option?

Thanks

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
I have an ATI Radeon 9800XT sitting around at home. It's 256mb and works with your machine. Should be plenty of VRAM for a GPU.

$80 shipped?

Hey Gimmeslack12

Thaks for the offer, I really would love to buy but I just dropped some $$$ on this computer and S&H, plus I need to get the Keyboard and Mouse, I have a budget and all I have for a Video Card left is $40.

Thanks for the offer, really.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I don't think you're going to find anything that works in your G5 for only $40, unless you buy a used PC video card such as a Radeon 9800Pro or Geforce 6800 and flash it yourself.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
your gonna have a hard time finding a decent card for that money, the pci geforce wont work with your machine unless it's the late 2004 model if not, it's agp only, have a look on ebay, that will prolly be your best bet, if all else fails, look to buy a faulty system with a working card, it'll prolly be cheaper then the card it'self ;)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Hey Gimmeslack12

Thaks for the offer, I really would love to buy but I just dropped some $$$ on this computer and S&H, plus I need to get the Keyboard and Mouse, I have a budget and all I have for a Video Card left is $40.

The price of this card goes for quite a bit more than $80 on eBay so my offer really is a pretty good one. Sorry, but $40 isn't going to work for me.

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
The price of this card goes for quite a bit more than $80 on eBay so my offer really is a pretty good one. Sorry, but $40 isn't going to work for me.
I just responded to your PM.

I was never going to offer u $40 for that card, I know what it's worth. :)

But that's what i had left and was trying to find a steal. But check out your inbox. I think we may reach an agreement.:apple:

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just responded to your PM.

I was never going to offer u $40 for that card, I know what it's worth. :)

But that's what i had left and was trying to find a steal. But check out your inbox. I think we may reach an agreement.:apple:

We can close this thread.

Thanks Macrumors

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Hey Gimmeslack12

Then I suggest you save because for 40 bucks you cannot even get a Radeon 7000 which would be very underpowered for what you need to do.

Many of us have learned the hard way to read auction info carefully. I'm sure you will from now on. :)

You at least need something with 256MB and core image support for your needs. Lowest I would go is a Radeon 9600 256MB or Geforce 6600 256MB.

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
Then I suggest you save because for 40 bucks you cannot even get a Radeon 7000 which would be very underpowered for what you need to do.

Many of us have learned the hard way to read auction info carefully. I'm sure you will from now on. :)

You at least need something with 256MB and core image support for your needs. Lowest I would go is a Radeon 9600 256MB or Geforce 6600 256MB.
Thanks, I already reached an agreement with gimmieslack12. So I pretty much clear now.
But thanks for the tips.

I'm new to the Apple world and I'm learning as I go by.
My background has kept me for over 15 years in Windows / Unix / Linux Enviorments and Hardware. So I try to learn as much as I can now with this unit.

I hope to have it as up and running pretty soon, Well all I was missing was the Graphics Card.
I managed to find a nice "new' keyboard and I plan to use a regular mouse for the moment. Until I find a Mighty Mouse.

I'll open a thread asking for advice.

But thanks to all for your responses.

Thanks.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks, I already reached an agreement with gimmieslack12. So I pretty much clear now.
But thanks for the tips.

I'm new to the Apple world and I'm learning as I go by.
My background has kept me for over 15 years in Windows / Unix / Linux Enviorments and Hardware. So I try to learn as much as I can now with this unit.

I hope to have it as up and running pretty soon, Well all I was missing was the Graphics Card.
I managed to find a nice "new' keyboard and I plan to use a regular mouse for the moment. Until I find a Mighty Mouse.

I'll open a thread asking for advice.

But thanks to all for your responses.

Thanks.

If you're a Unix guy then you should find great comfort in OS X as it has FreBSD as the core OS engine. Just launch the terminal or x11 and there you are..

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you're a Unix guy then you should find great comfort in OS X as it has FreBSD as the core OS engine. Just launch the terminal or x11 and there you are..

I will, thanks.

Pretty much I've done helpdesk all my life. So for me to use OS10 is a relief.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I will, thanks.

Pretty much I've done helpdesk all my life. So for me to use OS10 is a relief.

OS X is literally two OS in one. FreeBSD Unix and Mac OS. Many will agree with me that what saved the Mac OS in 2000-2001 when OS X came out was Unix. The classic OS was really getting old (literally and figuratively) for many by then.

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
Guys

Quick question (I'm so embarresed for asking this question):eek:

On the Dual G5, if Im replacing the video card with a Radeon 9800XT, will I still need the molex connector to juice up the GPU?

On the PC's it's a must, however like I mentioned early, I'm very new to MAC and it's hardware. Some say the Molex is not neccesary since the mobo powers it. I have my doubts.:confused:

Can anyone please clear this up?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Guys

Quick question (I'm so embarresed for asking this question):eek:

On the Dual G5, if Im replacing the video card with a Radeon 9800XT, will I still need the molex connector to juice up the GPU?

On the PC's it's a must, however like I mentioned early, I'm very new to MAC and it's hardware. Some say the Molex is not necessary since the mobo powers it. I have my doubts.:confused:

Can anyone please clear this up?

The AGP slot is more for data transfer than power although it does both. You will need to use it. They put it there because it doesn't get enough juice from the slot alone as some lower powered cards do.

mannyrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
Yes, if it's really XT (like this one: http://www.welovemacs.com/0823r98m.html) molex powering is needed. Only this 9800 Pro does not need additional powering, because it's AGP Pro version (power is drawn from additional AGP pins).

Thanks guys, I was almost 100% sure that was why I'm not getting any signal output to my monitor.

My final question would be...where the hell I connect the molex to on the PS!!!???? LOL

I cant see anywhere to connect it without tearing open more the insides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.