PDA

View Full Version : price differences in the ipod touch

TAB94
May 25, 2010, 09:41 PM
I went to amazon to look for a ipod touch
and the 1st (oldest ) is more expensive than the 2nd why is that....it is all so confusing to me...what should i be buying ..... i am just looking to buy the 8gb.
thanks
TAB94:confused:

elpmas
May 25, 2010, 11:23 PM
Ahh...don't get the first generation lol. Get the 3rd generation.

iPod Touch 8gb = 180-199. 32gb = 270-299. 64gb = *** - *** lol.

The first and second generation has a slower processor than the 3rd. Adding a little more (roughly $50) could get you more outta of it. 3rd also includes external speaker ;]

na1577
May 25, 2010, 11:49 PM
The second and "third" generation are exactly the same.

This is what you're looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Generation-iPhone-Software-Installed/dp/B002M3SOBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274849292&sr=8-1

This is the same version that ships from the Apple Online Store.

B.A.T
May 25, 2010, 11:53 PM
If you only want an 8 gb model go to the refurb store and pick one up for $149

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC086?mco=MTM3NTc1Njc

SPNarwhal
May 26, 2010, 12:25 AM
uh, well.
first of all.
the guy means internal speakers, not external.
and both the 2nd and 3rd gen have built in speakers.
there's no real difference between the 2nd gen and the 3rd gen.
i don't even know why there is a 3rd gen.

TAB94
May 26, 2010, 07:41 AM
Why is it then that the 1st generation is $244 and the newest model is $178. Why does it have the iphone software? should i wait a bit do you think the price will come down?:rolleyes:

TAB94
May 26, 2010, 07:46 AM
Right now all i can afford is the 8 gb.....i worry about buying refurbished stuff that is electronic. Has anyone else bought a refurbished one?:confused: i see it says windows xp or vista...do they work with windows 7?

WiseMarley
May 26, 2010, 08:52 AM
there is going to be a flood of 8gb ipod touches on craigslist soon. the free ipod with a mac promotion floods the market. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a brand new one for $150 soon.

rjenovai
May 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
uh, well.
first of all.
the guy means internal speakers, not external.
and both the 2nd and 3rd gen have built in speakers.
there's no real difference between the 2nd gen and the 3rd gen.
i don't even know why there is a 3rd gen.

For the 8gb model, yes the only difference between 2nd and 3rd gen is the software version loaded. But the 3rd gen 32 & 64GB models have more RAM, faster CPU and better GPU than the 2nd gen touch.

rjenovai
May 26, 2010, 11:18 AM
Right now all i can afford is the 8 gb.....i worry about buying refurbished stuff that is electronic. Has anyone else bought a refurbished one?:confused: i see it says windows xp or vista...do they work with windows 7?

You can't go wrong with the apple store refurbs, comes with the same warranty as new. Also, it works just fine with Windows 7. Just make sure to have the latest version of iTunes installed.

TAB94
May 26, 2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the help with my questions....i am so eager to get one.....thinking of all the apps i can download. i have a ds, but this will be way cooler....has anyone bought the extended warranty, is it worth it?
Thanks again:D

na1577
May 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
has anyone bought the extended warranty, is it worth it?

Not really. If there is a serious technical problem with the device, it will be immediately recognizable. It is possible for issues to develop, but if the device is properly cared for, you shouldn't have to have it replaced.

The most common issues with these devices is shattered screens and water damage, neither of which are covered by AppleCare.

Most MacRumors members agree that Apple's refurbished products are just as good as new ones. Apple replaces the casing, battery, and any faulty parts before reselling the device. They also include a USB cable, unopened earphones and the same warranty as a new product.