Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114508-att_iphone.jpg

Boy Genius Report briefly claims that AT&T has confirmed to its employees that the next-generation iPhone will launch in June, with hints that availability could even come well before the end of that month.
Title says it all, but you didn't really need a confirmation, did you? The phone will be available for purchase in June, not July, and from what we've heard, it won't even be late June.
Boy Genius Report previously noted that AT&T had instituted a block on employee vacations for the month of June, a move indicating a likely iPhone launch during that time as evidenced by similar blocks in previous years.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs is expected to formally introduce the next-generation iPhone on June 7th during his keynote address at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco. Earlier rumors had suggested that Apple is looking to push the next iPhone's actual launch as close as possible to that date, perhaps even making it available before the conference concludes.

Article Link: AT&T Reportedly Confirms June iPhone Launch to Employees

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Woooooooooooo!

So let's say Jobs announces the iPhone and says "Available TODAY." How do people line up for something like that? Do they have to be in line before the keynote? Or would it most likely be the next day? How's it work?!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Yep apple is smart... planning on taking some of the wind out of the EVO's sails by launching the same week...

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Woooooooooooo!

So let's say Jobs announces the iPhone and says "Available TODAY." How do people line up for something like that? Do they have to be in line before the keynote? Or would it most likely be the next day? How's it work?!

no, because people will have to wait until they are eligible for upgrade, which has seemed to be end of june for many.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Thanx to Gizmodo

THe leak made the new iPhone's release lose momentum...
It's no surprise now so there is not much expectation or suspense like in previous years...
:rolleyes:

douglaswilliams

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Oklahoma
The only decision I have left...

While getting live updates about WWDC at work, if it becomes available during the conference, do I immediately "get sick" and leave work to get in line? Or let the madness subside for a few days?

I've never bought an iPhone before, so in you guy's experience, how are the lines on day one, day two, day three...etc.? When should I expect to be able to go?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
no, because people will have to wait until they are eligible for upgrade, which has seemed to be end of june for many.

You can always upgrade your phone ;) I think AT&T allows users to receive the subsidized priced phones after something like 20 months into a contract. I know I qualify and I'm officially at 22 months.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada

What if you don't have a Phone yet though and are buying your first one? That wouldn't really matter to you whether you could upgrade or not..

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I hope for June 11 as well. I would so like to have the new iPhone before I go to NYC. :)

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
"Ladies and Gentleman we've been working on iPhone for a long time and we really think you're going to like it. Please let me introduce to you iPhone."

Scenario #1
- Enter same damn recycled iPhone that has been around for the past few years with a new case and new features that should have been included years ago, but nothing new or ground breaking (but will be deemed cutting edge, magical, or some other spun BS.)

Scenario #2
- Apple pulls an Apple+Intel type announcement and completely blindsides us with the new iPhone. All those leaks were fakes and the new iPhone will be as revolutionary as it was when it was first introduced.

I for one am hoping for #2. Apple has been #1 for the past few years on everything it does and I miss the real innovations.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
What's the big deal, it's just a cell phone :rolleyes:

And it is sort of sad to think that AT&T employees can't take vacations during the summer months because of Apple.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
The anticipation is overwhelming, just like when the iPad was introduced. You know though, everything I was expecting, after years of the predictions and rumors, I just don't remember. It's like my slate was wiped clean when it was released. Something like 128GB space, front facing camera, computer independency, ummm...

My point is, I hope we see all of these currently hyped features for the iPhone, and if not, I hope I remember what they were, because I want to protest.

Funny thing is I'm young too. Its all my dependancy on technology to remember everything about my life! Evolved regression.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
What if you don't have a Phone yet though and are buying your first one? That wouldn't really matter to you whether you could upgrade or not..

if you don't have an iphone yet, chances are you aren't the type of person who would 'line up' for one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.