Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Playing HL2 for mac is a bit of nostalgia mixed with glee at being there when a major game company (that actually makes good games) finally comes to the mac (other than blizzard).

So how many are buying this game for the first time.

How many had the pc version and are revisiting history.

And how many of you blasphemers played it first on the consoles?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I tried to play it on my PC after buying Orange Box. Unfortunately, my PC was only up to playing portal. I got about half way through the first HL2, when my PC blew up on me.

I got a mac then.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
:D I've played through HL2 multiple times but never finished Ep1.. I bought Ep2 in preparation of the Mac version coming out.. Going to play through them all now! Really happy they've done some graphics tweaks and achievements etc.

GrayApple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
Have On 360

Got It at first on the Xbox 360 with orange box and wanted to buy it again for mac but Just got blue shift and opposing force YESTERDAY! and running using crossover (both smooth plus HL:Source as well) I Wish I had Read it but I like original half life over 2 any ways :p

ptaylor9

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
this is my first time playing HL2, though I have completed Half Life, Blue Shift and the army one, cant remember what its called now.

HL2 is awesome though, it is so much smoother than the old games, but keeps the old charm..

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
i played hl2 when it first came out with orange box. i played it on a dell pc and was only able to play a couple levels until my pc couldn't handle it anymore. i wasn't able to finish playing it, so i haven't touched the game since then (5 yrs ago). so im hoping it'll run better on mac os x eventually :rolleyes: but im most likely going to install windows via bootcamp and play it through that!

GrayApple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
this is my first time playing HL2, though I have completed Half Life, Blue Shift and the army one, cant remember what its called now.

HL2 is awesome though, it is so much smoother than the old games, but keeps the old charm..
The Army One Is Opposing Force With the Irony Of It Being You Actually Play As a Marine :)

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I'm relatively new to Valve. The first Valve game I played was Portal on Xbox Live Arcade. After I played through Portal a couple of times, I immediately bought The Orange Box on Xbox 360 and have become a Half-Life 2 fanatic. And now I'm playing it on the Mac. :D

Note to new HL2 players: Some parts of Half-Life 2 will feel out-dated. Just suffer through them. Once you get to the episodes, the story really gets going and the game is just better put-together. :p

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
so why not just buy the episodes?

the episodes happen after the main game and dont make any attempt to explain what happens before each one. also they are pretty damn short.

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I played through about half HL2 back in my PC days. I started playing it again last night, and got through about a half hour of the game. It was then I remembered why I never finished it...motion sickness. I have never had a game give me so much trouble with motion sickness. I can play Fallout 3 all day long on my Xbox, but there is something about HL2 that sets my inner ear off.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Yeah I am a first-timer. Super nice not having to boot into Widows to play. I am not a hardcore gamer, although I used to play quite a lot. This is totally fine for me. I always wait until games get old and then get 'em for cheap. They are new to me!

Anyway, gameplay, graphics, sound is all really on point and is not feeling outdated to me. Plus character models, especially faces look a little better than Fallout 3, which is the only other game in the past couple years that I have put some serious, serious hours into. I'm still at the beginning, but really glad to have a sweet fps that I can pull up at a moments notice instead of restarting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.