Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NakedLunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
After six years of trusted service, my dual 1.8ghz tower has died *sniffle.* I believe it's the logic board and I've decided to invest in an intel mac mini instead of installing a new logic board. So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap, reliable logic board?

2. Barring that, what's the best way to transfer data from my old internal drive? I'm assuming moving it to an external enclosure is the only way to go, but I don't have any experience with this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer up.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
To transfer data to Mini, you can use external enclosure (like you wrote) or simply USB->SATA adapter, or USB SATA dock, if you have one.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
After six years of trusted service, my dual 1.8ghz tower has died *sniffle.* I believe it's the logic board and I've decided to invest in an intel mac mini instead of installing a new logic board. So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap, reliable logic board?

2. Barring that, what's the best way to transfer data from my old internal drive? I'm assuming moving it to an external enclosure is the only way to go, but I don't have any experience with this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer up.
just put it in an external enclosure and if you are worried you can take the drive + enclosure to your local computer shop and i'm sure they will do it for you

DWF

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Wow, same computer and same problem here! Glad I found this on Google.

The logic board on my Dual 1.8Ghz G5 also pooped out two weeks ago, and I'm stuck on my wife's old G4 and worried about saving/transferring my old hard drive stuff as well. I've got a big external drive, and I could kick myself for not backing things up properly.

Here's my question: my dad also has a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 and I'm wondering if I can put my internal drive in his machine in his second drive bay and then suck all the information off of it and onto my external drive?

Thanks in advance.

NakedLunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
DWF try this

Wow, same computer and same problem here! Glad I found this on Google.

The logic board on my Dual 1.8Ghz G5 also pooped out two weeks ago, and I'm stuck on my wife's old G4 and worried about saving/transferring my old hard drive stuff as well. I've got a big external drive, and I could kick myself for not backing things up properly.

Here's my question: my dad also has a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 and I'm wondering if I can put my internal drive in his machine in his second drive bay and then suck all the information off of it and onto my external drive?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, that should work. I'm so pissed about my G5. Not just because I loved the darn thing, but also because I've lost my job since I bought it and am going back to school, so I don't have the money to get a truly comparable machine.

Try this: Blow a hair dryer into the front of the machine (next to the power button) for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then turn the machine on. This worked a few times for me (computer stayed on for about an hour each time) and I was able to backup all my relevant data.

Good luck.

DWF

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
As far as I know, that should work. I'm so pissed about my G5. Not just because I loved the darn thing, but also because I've lost my job since I bought it and am going back to school, so I don't have the money to get a truly comparable machine.

Try this: Blow a hair dryer into the front of the machine (next to the power button) for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then turn the machine on. This worked a few times for me (computer stayed on for about an hour each time) and I was able to backup all my relevant data.

Good luck.

Thanks NakedLunch. I'll give the blow dryer a try just to see if that might work. I actually got a chime out of it once (out of 1000 or so tries LOL) but it never fully booted.

This weekend I was able to try hooking my old internal up as a 2nd internal on the duplicate G5. I renamed the hard drive on the G5 I was using just to try to keep down problems since it was named "Macintosh HD" just like mine. Anyway, it worked perfectly and I was able to hook up my external and back things up.

I'm hopefully getting a new Mac Mini in a couple of weeks, and hopefully its internal organs will last longer than my six year old G5's did. :) Sure would be nice if the rumored "refreshed" Mac Mini would make an appearance by then.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope you're able to get a replacement sooner than you think.

adgrimes

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2004
Brighton, UK
If anyone is interested, I have a dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 that I no longer use...
I was actually just Googling around to see if there was anything useful I could use it for, but so far found nothing...
I bought myself a new MBP after my last Intel MBP died right around xmas, never really used it after I bought my last one - let alone my new one...

Apologies if we aren't allowed to do this here, please by all means delete my post if we arent, but if anyone is interested in purchasing for a decent price, then PM me... I am West London/Staines way based...

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.