Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
ThomasJefferson said:
Pismo for me
I agree. I loves me some Pismo.

Also the cube. (although it was hardly the best from a business perspective. Innovative design though.)

The whole iMac line, from a design standpoint (G3-G5)

...sorry, was I only supposed to pick one?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
ThomasJefferson said:
Pismo for me

i agree, pismo was a beautiful machine.

The newton also, at maturity it did everything i wanted in a pda and more. splendid. (note i do not think apple should make a pda, though I would love to see them foray into the phone/pda market)

sometimes i cannot believe how long it is taking for a decent phone with pda capabilities to come to market... =P

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
From a design standpoint, its a three way tie between the new iMac G5 (i may not think so in the future) the cube (the most innovative still) and the original iMac (the first designer computer). From a technological standpoint, I say the G5 shook up some stuff upon release, as did the iPod.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Oh that's an easy one! The ballpoint pens they used to send when you registered Apple products are amazing. They seem have a magical property that makes them impossible to lose* or break. I think that mine will outlive me.

* "Borrowed" for lengths of time, but eventually returned.

raynegus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2003
If your question is for fun then it's the iPod. If it is serious then obviously it's the 128K Macintosh (1984), no question about it. Without it we might still be in a DOS world without even a mouse to click with.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
iMac G4s were really nice. Those were Cube tech, but better marketing.

I love my PowerBook G4 12"...

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Design wise, I would go with the Cube, though most of the recent Macs are also beautiful, thanks to Apple's great design team. In terms of overall success, it's hard to argue with either the original iMacs or the iPods.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
tie for three; sorry im indecisive:
lisa 1 (without it there would be no macintosh--a flop but it paved the way for g5's and everything we know and love about apple), the original ibook (cmiw one of the first consumer laptops, had airport which exploded into an industry standard and is present in just about any modern laptop worth it's weight in plastic), and last but not least: the newton messagepad (among the first pda's, had handwriting recognition, several years ahead of it's time). these products may not have been incredible but they showed apple innovation and paved the way for a lot of the modern computing products we use today.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The Duos!!

In 1992 most laptops weighted 5kg, and the 2.2 kg Powerbook Duo came!!!! The ultimate portable and with a Duo Dock at home you had a nice desktop too!!

The duo is almost the same size that the powerbook 12-inch, but a bit thicker and a little shorter..

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Candy color Imacs. this was the best seller and saved the company but what did apple learn with this product? nothing,everything that made it great they walked away from. It was the biggest success of all time and everything that made it so great they have ignored. oh well so much for a imac thats a tick away from powermac performance. Now we get waterdowned imacs with not even the fastest cpu from last years powermac. Apple learned ( 0 ) in what made the original the best.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
ipod m i n i

I love the iPod Mini. It's just amazing.

Although the original iPod got the ball rolling, however a few improvements have made it that much better.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Personally I'd have to go with my Mac Classic II. It was my first Mac, and it still runs today.

But in the bigger picture, I'd have to say the iMac. It truly did save Apple in so many ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.