PDA

View Full Version : Ok, So I have a G5, now what?

mannyrm
May 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
Ok

So I got the M9494LL/A. It was missing the Graphic Card but thanks to a regular from here I now have a Radeon 9000 with 256 of Ram

The unit comes with dvd/rw, 2 gb of ram and a 160 hdd.

I have some Bose speakes, a 22 inch HP screen. And I have the white mac keyboard but no mouse. I have some USB mice that I can use for the meantime.

My question would be

Is the Mighty Mouse worth it? or is a just an Icon?

If any one can recommend maybe another type of mouse that would be great.

Also, What would be best to run as the OS Tiger or Leopard in this unit.

Thanks for the feed back.:D

kbfr08
May 27, 2010, 01:05 PM
Get the pro mouse. I love mine, and i've had it for years, it looks much better than the mighty mouse and that nightmare that they're selling right now.

reebzor
May 27, 2010, 01:30 PM
Forget apple mice. Especially the mighty mouse piece of garbage. A $15 logitech will perform better and last much longer than a mighty mouse. I'd recommend pretty much anything from logitech but if you want specifics, check out the MX Revolution or Performance MX.

666sheep
May 27, 2010, 01:33 PM
MM would be great mouse, if only had better scroll solution and better quality. I murdered 2 of them :) Both of them stopped scrolling (even if i cleaned it frequently), one stopped clicking. My advice: not worth it.
Pro mouse has 2 cons (for me): lack of scroll, lack of RMB function (you must use oldschool "ctrl" method to get RMB functionality with it). Except this, it's great mouse.

I think that in Logitech offer you can find something for yourself.

mannyrm
May 27, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'll look into the mice from logitech.

I undertand that this unit has built in BLUEtooth?

Should I go for it?

kbfr08
May 27, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'll look into the mice from logitech.

I undertand that this unit has built in BLUEtooth?

Should I go for it?

Logitech mice use RF, an adapter is included. Get the mx revolution, I have one for my elitebook which is running 10.6. I absolutely love it, the os x support is near flawless, and it's one of the most comfortable mice I've used.

Picked it up @ Worst buy for $40 a few months ago, it can probably be purchased for less than that now.

zen.state
May 27, 2010, 05:12 PM
I second Logitech as great mice. I also like some Microsoft mice quite a bit. The Intellimouse Explorer is one of the best wired mice I have ever used. Has 5 buttons also. Both companies have decent Mac drivers also.

turugara
May 27, 2010, 06:02 PM
I put in another vote for the Performance MX. It's absolutely the best mouse I've ever used. The best part is that it fits perfectly to my hand and I can use it on any surface.

mannyrm
May 27, 2010, 10:59 PM
Wow, great feedback guys...So skip the original mouse and got logitech.

Thanks!

mannyrm
Jun 3, 2010, 01:18 AM
One more question:

My CPU is 1.8

Can I upgraded it easily?

Like swapping just the CPU or going higher implicates complications?

Thx

iBookG4user
Jun 3, 2010, 01:22 AM
One more question:

My CPU is 1.8

Thx

To be honest it probably wouldn't be cost effective to upgrade it at this point. You won't see a big enough speed increase to justify the expense of upgrading it.

green86
Jun 3, 2010, 06:25 PM
One more question:

My CPU is 1.8

Thx

It's pretty much impossible to upgrade the processor. You would need to upgrade the the processors along with the motherboard they came from (or one that supports the same speed), and run a thermal calibration from software from Apple.

ClassicII
Jun 4, 2010, 09:32 PM
You can can upgrade to a 2.0 but thats it.

green86
Jun 4, 2010, 09:51 PM
You can can upgrade to a 2.0 but thats it.

How do you figure?

ClassicII
Jun 4, 2010, 10:05 PM
I tried it, I have a 1.8 logic board running dual 2.0's.

At least i think its a 1.8, see it also boots 1.8's. So it could be a 2.0 board and it will also run the slower 1.8's. Ill check for sure tomorrow when I run the logic board part number.

mannyrm
Jun 5, 2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, all this is intresting. So basiclly the CPU needs to have the MOBO upgraded too.

I would think that the MOBO would at least take a 2.0 to 2.3 at least.

Thanks for the feedback

mannyrm
Jun 5, 2010, 11:44 AM
Now, since CPU upgrade is out of the question,
How about wifi/Bluetooth.

Is it two cards that I need to buy?
Is it just one?

Thanks guys.

green86
Jun 5, 2010, 07:31 PM
Now, since CPU upgrade is out of the question,
How about wifi/Bluetooth.

Is it two cards that I need to buy?
Is it just one?

Thanks guys.

Two. You can either use third party devices or Apple's. If you buy Apple's, they fit in special slots and don't take up any PCI slots or usb ports.

kbfr08
Jun 5, 2010, 08:27 PM
Wow, all this is intresting. So basiclly the CPU needs to have the MOBO upgraded too.

I would think that the MOBO would at least take a 2.0 to 2.3 at least.

Thanks for the feedback

You can overclock it by changing a few settings on the cpu card, there's a block of (8 IIRC) resistors, you can reconfigure them for different settings.

I'll send you the PPC G5 preliminary, and the powermac G5 schematic if I can get them.

quantum003
Jun 5, 2010, 09:12 PM
You can overclock it by changing a few settings on the cpu card, there's a block of (8 IIRC) resistors, you can reconfigure them for different settings.

I'll send you the PPC G5 preliminary, and the powermac G5 schematic if I can get them.

Could you please send them to me also? Thanks! :-)

The airport extreme card is $30-40 on ebay and you can install it yourself. Personally I'd go with the Apple wireless card to avoid hassles down the road and out of the gate... The bluetooth board is a little tougher but if you're reasonably handy you can install it yourself. You do have to remove a speaker and another slightly inopportune part to install it, but not major surgery by any stretch. You would also need the external airport and bluetooth antennaes... You can see where they plug in on the back of your g5. eBay is your best bet for all 4 pieces.

kbfr08
Jun 5, 2010, 09:52 PM
Before I get the schematics, someone tell me the codename. It's printed on a sticker on the RAM slot (maybe on the motherboard or pci slots), it's the last block of text, or the middle block of text. It should be QXX or PXX.

For example:
QT323009PRA 21Q57MB0047 Q57

The code may also have a revision attached, or be in another spot in the serial # (see picture)
http://i47.tinypic.com/ri7yo5.jpg

I've got a schematic for an EVT mobo, no model # in the document. Someone check it with a G5 mobo and tell me if it looks correct.

mannyrm
Jun 6, 2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks.
:)
I really would appreciate it!

mannyrm
Jun 6, 2010, 12:05 PM
Could you please send them to me also? Thanks! :-)

The airport extreme card is $30-40 on ebay and you can install it yourself. Personally I'd go with the Apple wireless card to avoid hassles down the road and out of the gate... The bluetooth board is a little tougher but if you're reasonably handy you can install it yourself. You do have to remove a speaker and another slightly inopportune part to install it, but not major surgery by any stretch. You would also need the external airport and bluetooth antennaes... You can see where they plug in on the back of your g5. eBay is your best bet for all 4 pieces.

Awesome!

Thanks, That's what Im looking for since I dont want to use a port and a usb slot.

Is there a model number for that?

666sheep
Jun 6, 2010, 01:59 PM

There was many attempts to do that, but no one confirmed, that he's done that succesfully (at least believable).
It will be end of "non-OC-able" G5 myth if someone will succeed. For the now - it's impossible.

kbfr08
Jun 6, 2010, 04:37 PM
Can't find a schematic for the powermac G5 motherboard, so I got one for a similar G5 based computer (iMac G5?). Page 30 is the CPU Straps Page, it lists pll & multiplier settings. The CPU is codenamed "Neo" which is the same processor as in the Powermac G5.

There's another chart which lists multiplier settings, PLL settings, and the resulting speed.

I don't have a Powermac G5 to experiment with, unfortunately.

mannyrm
Jun 6, 2010, 05:05 PM
Can't find a schematic for the powermac G5 motherboard, so I got one for a similar G5 based computer (iMac G5?). Page 30 is the CPU Straps Page, it lists pll & multiplier settings. The CPU is codenamed "Neo" which is the same processor as in the Powermac G5.

There's another chart which lists multiplier settings, PLL settings, and the resulting speed.

I don't have a Powermac G5 to experiment with, unfortunately.

Thanks for all I'll try to look into this, sounds like a fun way to spend the day off.LOL