PDA

View Full Version : Office HD updated, iPad now functional as needed

cheekyjeremy
May 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
Office HD updated today. You can now open files from dropbox, edit them and save them back to drop box. No more needing to email files back and forth etc, and trouble keeping everything in sync with laptop etc.

Works great, and now iPad can be (for some) a laptop replacement

J

srl7741
May 27, 2010, 04:42 PM
Good news thanks for the updated information. I looked at it but stayed away waiting for it to mature a little more before giving it a test run.

sassenach74
May 27, 2010, 04:43 PM
That's good news, does it work the same way for MobileMe too?

Jaro65
May 28, 2010, 12:00 AM
That's good news, does it work the same way for MobileMe too?

That what I also want to know!

richpjr
May 28, 2010, 12:23 AM
Their website shows support for up to Office 2003 - no Office 2007 support?

MikePA
May 28, 2010, 03:43 AM
I looked at it but stayed away waiting for it to mature a little more before giving it a test run.

Exactly how does an app 'mature a little more'? It either does what you need it to do or it doesn't.

Peter Harrison
May 28, 2010, 05:01 AM
Exactly how does an app 'mature a little more'? It either does what you need it to do or it doesn't.

Are you being serious?

MikePA
May 28, 2010, 08:27 AM
Are you being serious?

Yes. What's so complicated about determining if it meets your needs, or most of them, and buying it now instead of waiting for it to 'mature'? It's not like you're spending hundreds of dollars on an Office suite for a PC. Buy it and get some productivity now. Just like the iPhone, people spend between $500 - $900 for an iPad. Add in money for a case, spare chargers, maybe a keyboard and with a 3G the additional data plan, yet balk at spending a few bucks for an application until it 'matures'. Geez. Buy it, use it and if something better comes out, buy that too and skip the Starbucks for a day or two.

caubeck
May 28, 2010, 10:24 AM
Yes. What's so complicated about determining if it meets your needs, or most of them, and buying it now instead of waiting for it to 'mature'? It's not like you're spending hundreds of dollars on an Office suite for a PC. Buy it and get some productivity now. Just like the iPhone, people spend between $500 - $900 for an iPad. Add in money for a case, spare chargers, maybe a keyboard and with a 3G the additional data plan, yet balk at spending a few bucks for an application until it 'matures'. Geez. Buy it, use it and if something better comes out, buy that too and skip the Starbucks for a day or two.

Not that I have anything against silly and annoying comments per se, but I'd like to answer yours if I may.

From the moment you buy an iPhone or iPad you start to spend money on apps. Nobody wants to waste their money on apps that do little but fill their gadget with software they'll never open again, or purchase five PDF readers just to find one that works as advertised. My experience with the iPhone has shown me that.

And buying iPhone apps when they're new, hoping they will be developed and maintained by their creators, has also taught me to wait a liitle while longer, read reviews and watch for coming updates. In the case of an Office app, who wants to transfer their archives to it and then discover it can't read them all, or destroys the formatting, etc.?

If we all purchased every app we want to try out just because it's a dollar or three, we'd all have bought the 64 gb 3G too, because what's a couple of hundred dollars when you're downloading two-dollar apps every few days or so?

richpjr
May 28, 2010, 12:16 PM

Uhhh... It's stable. Bugs are fixed. Missing features are added. Clunky GUI is cleaned up. Lots of things. Could someone live without these things addressed? Sure, but if one is not in a huge hurry, some or all of those may be cleaned up and the early adaptor pain is avoided.

MikePA
May 28, 2010, 05:32 PM
Not that I have anything against silly and annoying comments per se...

But of course you don't 'have anything against silly and annoying comments per se...'. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks all the bugs will be worked out when an app is mature doesn't know anything about software. People who are waiting for a mature app are basically arrogant because they're among the elite who are perceptive enough to recognize a mature app and have such high standards while the rabble simply settle for immature ones. Tut, tut, pip, pip, look at the peons settling for the mediocre. Pour me another Chivas would you Chauncy? Let me tell you how I saved $2.00 by waiting for the next full release.

EnderTW
May 28, 2010, 06:07 PM
I could do this with GoodReader from day one...

richpjr
May 28, 2010, 08:55 PM
But of course you don't 'have anything against silly and annoying comments per se...'. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks all the bugs will be worked out when an app is mature doesn't know anything about software. People who are waiting for a mature app are basically arrogant because they're among the elite who are perceptive enough to recognize a mature app and have such high standards while the rabble simply settle for immature ones. Tut, tut, pip, pip, look at the peons settling for the mediocre. Pour me another Chivas would you Chauncy? Let me tell you how I saved $2.00 by waiting for the next full release.

What bizarre logic. What do you think mature software refers to? The first release? Or perhaps it means several releases into the product where a lot of the bugs are fixed and it's more stable?

As to the arrogant comment, that's even more bizarre. I have been looking for an application like this but have read a few posts about formatting getting screwed up. I don't NEED it and chose to hold off, occasionally checking back to see if things stabilized - aka matured. While the cost isn't a big deal, I really don't want to spend time cleaning up messed up formatting so I, like others, will wait for the program to mature.

MikePA
May 29, 2010, 04:53 AM
I think I will wait for the other people in this thread to 'mature' before posting in it again.

AC Rempt
May 29, 2010, 02:39 PM
Their website shows support for up to Office 2003 - no Office 2007 support?

It seems like you can read .docx files, but not edit them. What a pain in the a$$! Until it can do .docx, it's only half as useful as I need it to be. :mad:

richpjr
May 29, 2010, 05:11 PM
I think I will wait for the other people in this thread to 'mature' before posting in it again.

That's a relief.

It seems like you can read .docx files, but not edit them. What a pain in the a$$! Until it can do .docx, it's only half as useful as I need it to be.

Yep, the application is not mature enough for me to use yet.

caubeck
May 29, 2010, 05:33 PM

You fail to grasp the most important thing about iPhone software - these apps are updated continuously, regularly, often under pressure from users and competition. The app experience is dynamic, Microsoft software and Apple OS updates can be tediously slow to emerge. App developers actually listen and make changes. Apps do mature as developers listen to users and their experiences, whereas your opinions apparently do not.

Hammie
May 29, 2010, 08:36 PM
You fail to grasp the most important thing about iPhone software - these apps are updated continuously, regularly, often under pressure from users and competition. The app experience is dynamic, Microsoft software and Apple OS updates can be tediously slow to emerge. App developers actually listen and make changes. Apps do mature as developers listen to users and their experiences, whereas your opinions apparently do not.

The good ones do. I have a couple iPhone apps where the developers have never made an update when a couple tweaks could make it a great app.

But yes, the good ones do get updated regularly.

srl7741
May 29, 2010, 09:35 PM
Office HD updated today. You can now open files from dropbox, edit them and save them back to drop box. No more needing to email files back and forth etc, and trouble keeping everything in sync with laptop etc.

Works great, and now iPad can be (for some) a laptop replacement

J

Sorry to have caused a semi-hijack to your thread post. That was not my intent.

It seems like you can read .docx files, but not edit them. What a pain in the a$$! Until it can do .docx, it's only half as useful as I need it to be. :mad:

This helps explain what I meant in my first post and others (above) understand what I meant. Nothing more needs to be said.

You either get it or you don't.

spectre51
May 31, 2010, 02:04 PM
Does it have OpenOffice file support? Didn't see anything about that on there.

superflush
May 31, 2010, 11:17 PM
I got this mainly to edit Google Docs. I'll have to see if this update made anything smoother.

nippyjun
May 31, 2010, 11:40 PM
I got this mainly to edit Google Docs. I'll have to see if this update made anything smoother.

Can it edit google docs?

superflush
Jun 1, 2010, 12:08 AM
Can it edit google docs?

Yes. The integration isn't the best, but it has this feature.

Slip Jigs
Jun 1, 2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this app.

However, I think I'm going to wait and hope that QuickOffice makes an iPad version. One, because I own the iPhone app and perhaps I'll get a free upgrade or discount. Two, it provides a way to capture email attachments.

When OS 4 comes out, I imagine we'll see much more openess with the file system that these apps can take advantage of. Until then, the workarounds are getting tiresome.

HaroldC
Jun 1, 2010, 12:07 PM
Now if only it could edit .docx files.......