Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I can take this to the Elgato forums, but I was already registered here and it looks like I stand about as much chance getting the questions answered there, based on their activity levels. :)

I just bought a Hybrid, which comes with the newest EyeTV software. Couple of questions:

1) Why is it hitting up my network connection constantly? I mean, 36+ hours after install. Guide data should be fully populated. If no one has a top-of-head answer that's fine, thinking about installing Little Snitch or something to see what it's doing.

2) Is there really no way to set the software to automatically convert the recordings to something other than iPod/iPhone/iPad? I want each recorded show to be converted to ATV format (or possibly the 720p profile, not sure yet), and dropped in a location that is NOT "Movies". Do I really have to get third-party scripts to do this?

I feel like I must be missing something obvious, but the software is so scaled down compared to my prior HTPC software experiences.

cwaddell2002

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
1) Why is it hitting up my network connection constantly? I mean, 36+ hours after install. Guide data should be fully populated. If no one has a top-of-head answer that's fine, thinking about installing Little Snitch or something to see what it's doing.

Do you have Sharing enabled, or My Eye TV? Eye TV broadcasts its presence, I believe. looking at LS, EyeTV is connecting to services.eyetv.com (which I believe is for software updates) and xmlrpc.macrovision.com which I believe has to do with guide data? (not really sure). EyeConnect (The EyeTV Sharing Client) shows a weird connection history of blocked attempts to access - which leads me to believe that Elgato has a security issue here, allowing you to be seen even if you don't have the right username and password, but maybe not allowing access - I'm not sure.

2) Is there really no way to set the software to automatically convert the recordings to something other than iPod/iPhone/iPad? I want each recorded show to be converted to ATV format (or possibly the 720p profile, not sure yet), and dropped in a location that is NOT "Movies". Do I really have to get third-party scripts to do this?

If you have a scheduled recording, click edit schedule and at the bottom there is a drop down menu to export to Apple TV. If you have a smart guide you have created, click options at the top, and choose to export to AppleTV. If, by automatically, you mean, you want to click on something to record and by default it exports, then no, I don't think that is an option, but I wish it was...

Good Luck

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Is there really no way to set the software to automatically convert the recordings to something other than iPod/iPhone/iPad?

Preferences, General, Export, iPad/Apple TV Button, select Apple TV (the choices available for automatic export in the smart guides will reflect what you have chosen here).

Make sure you are using the latest version (3.4).

A.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Do you have Sharing enabled, or My Eye TV? Eye TV broadcasts its presence, I believe. looking at LS, EyeTV is connecting to services.eyetv.com (which I believe is for software updates) and xmlrpc.macrovision.com which I believe has to do with guide data? (not really sure). EyeConnect (The EyeTV Sharing Client) shows a weird connection history of blocked attempts to access - which leads me to believe that Elgato has a security issue here, allowing you to be seen even if you don't have the right username and password, but maybe not allowing access - I'm not sure.

Thanks. I do have EyeTV sharing via the iPhone app turned on because I was playing around with it. That may be what's happening. (I have very few things running on my mac and always have a network monitor going, so I have a high degree of confidence that EyeTV was the culprit--but I noticed right before I had to leave for work this am and couldn't investigate.)

Preferences, General, Export, iPad/Apple TV Button, select Apple TV (the choices available for automatic export in the smart guides will reflect what you have chosen here).

Make sure you are using the latest version (3.4).

Alrescha, I have this feeling that it was, like, 3.3.3 on the install disc and I don't recall checking for updates. But also, to clarify: when I say "automatic" I mean for every recording without intervention, or at least settable on a per-series basis. Is that what you mean, or would I need to choose export by hand for each individual recording? (Again, apologies, because I can't actually look till I get home.)

In my ideal scenario, shows would typically record during primetime, transcode overnight, and the smaller, transcoded versions (which can then be streamed by my various extenders) are placed on my network share--all without my intervention. This is what I had going with my Windows-based media setup (with BeyondTV and HDHomeRun) before both my motherboard and the HDHomeRun died. I don't even really care what the transcoded format is, as all my streaming technology is pretty much format-blind. I just need to have a version that is smaller than the ~10gb HD mpeg for wifi streaming.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm a long time Windows PC person experimenting with switching over to the Mac world for various things, and so far it seems like I *might* have to lower my expectations in the HTPC arena a little. :)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Alrescha, I have this feeling that it was, like, 3.3.3 on the install disc and I don't recall checking for updates. But also, to clarify: when I say "automatic" I mean for every recording without intervention, or at least settable on a per-series basis. Is that what you mean, or would I need to choose export by hand for each individual recording?

EyeTV has the ability to create 'Smart Guides' which let EyeTV search for strings in the database and record the matches. You can say, in effect, 'record all episodes of X-Files wherever you find them'. You could also say 'record all new episodes of 'The Big Bang Theory'. Or all TV shows that mention 'Leonard Nimoy' anywhere in the description. You can limit to particular channels, or record only episodes that air on Mondays.

Optionally, you can tell it to export after recording. Alas, it won't remove the commercials for you (though there are some third party plugins... :)

A.
(who has a backlog of hundreds of gigabytes of unwatched TV :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.